Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 09:47 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,239,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Does anyone remember the Garland Road drive Inn Theater? It was where the now empty Hypermart is, not far from the Garland Shopping Center. Here's some information I picked up from the Cinema Treasures website;

The Garland Road Drive-In was in a very popular location. It had customers coming from Dallas and Garland to watch sometimes prime movies.

It was at the same location as the newer multi-screen Apollo Drive-In. The Apollo Drive-In has been gone for many years. That whole triangular area was the new Hyper Mart built by Sam Walton. Later it was renamed Walmart.

This website shows an advertisement for the grand opening of the drive-inn on April 7th 1950; Garland Road Drive-In | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/30943004@N00/3999524614/ - broken link)

This 1963 advertisement lists the drive-inns in the Dallas area; Dallas Drive In Theater Guide from 1963 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/lastpictureshow/4630536760 - broken link)

Thanks and Enjoy,
JH

I can't recall the drive in being there, but my mother does. I remember when Hypermart opened and what a hug deal it was. My grandparents came to visit after Hypermart opened and my Granddad took a picture of the building.

I love your posts, you always have such neat links to share.

Homer B. Johnsons wife was one of my husbands teachers in elementary school I believe at Golden Meadows back in the late 1970's. I've met her once, charming and sweet woman. My husband still recognized. her after all the years and she remembered who he was.

Jupiter Chevrolet, which for many years was Newman Chevrolet, and for some of the really old timers Jackson Chevrolet has a nice mural in their showroom depicting Garland History. The Jacksons never had any sons and passed on the family business to their son in law, hence the name change. They are also the same Jacksons for which the middle school was named, the dealership is still in the same family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 10:45 PM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
The Apollo at the southwest corner of Garland Rd. and Kingsley Rd. had two screens but I don't remember the first one. The Apollo was the "sister" theatre to the Gemini at Forest and Central, which started with two screens but a third was added later.

Garland had a couple of other drive-ins - the Town and Country on Plano Road south of Forest Lane, and the Beltline/30 at the southwest corner of Beltline and I-30. I think most of these were owned by Gordon MacLendon. I remember one in E. Dallas that had a big clown face painted on the back - don't remember if it was the one on Gus Thomasson or the one on Buckner. Then of course there was the Lone Star over on Lawnview - infamous for showing x-rated movies.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:22 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,869,842 times
LOL!!! I remember the drive-in and I didn't grow up IN Garland.

Who remembers the waterpark in Garland on LBJ? It was in that same vicinity. Can not think of the name of it now

Old 08-17-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
LOL!!! I remember the drive-in and I didn't grow up IN Garland.

Who remembers the waterpark in Garland on LBJ? It was in that same vicinity. Can not think of the name of it now
I believe is started off as White Water, then became Wet and Wild. Six Flags later bought Wet and Wild only to close the Garland location and force everyone to drive all the way to Arlington. The Garland park was always busy I know that place had to turn a good profit. CarMax sits on most if not all of the old Wet and Wild site. The parking lot and the underground tunnel for wet and wild are still there though. I think it was around 1993, maybe 1994 that the park closed. I was going to Bussey MS at the time and I remember how disappointed everyone was.

Old 08-19-2010, 04:32 PM

597 posts, read 1,146,959 times
I Drove by the Garland Shopping Center today. I noticed their is "safety construction" tape around the base of the sign. I wonder what they plan on doing here, are they going to do some digging to repair electric/sewer lines or are they planning on doing work on the actual sign for restoration? It has been like this for a few days now, yet no activity. I will post here when I have more information.
Thanks,
JH

Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 PM

Default Cafeterias at the GSC and near the Chase building

ETex2; There was a cafeteria in the GSC. It was called the Plaza Cafeteria, they called it Skillern's Plaza in those days. That might throw off our theory about their being a Wyatt's Cafeteria next to the Chase building as it does not make sense that they would build two cafeterias so close to one another. As I said before that restaurant space is quite large, that would suggest it was most likely a Grocery store that served downtown before becoming the Furr's Restaurant that "Kings Highway" mentioned. Just a thought though, I won't be sure until I find that newspaper article I keep looking for ! I will keep you posted.
Thanks,
JH

Old 08-20-2010, 11:23 PM

Found a neat little pic of the old Jackson Chevy along Garland road on eBay.

GARLAND TEXAS JACKSON CHEVROLET DEALERSHIP VINTAGE VIEW - eBay (item 380174983801 end time Sep-01-10 11:50:10 PDT)

Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 AM

I have the book; "Garland a contemporary History". It mentions the Jackson/Newman Chevrolet. It also has a picture of their 40th anniversary; 1925-1965. The picture looks quite similar to the one above.
Thanks,
JH

Old 08-30-2010, 06:06 PM

Kings Highway mentioned the TG&Y at the Ridgewood Shopping Center so I thought I'd share this. It's called "Discount Stores of the 60s", it gives history and information on stores such as TG&Y (and many others you probably never heard of!) that filled shopping centers like Ridgewood and the Garland Shopping Center back in the day. You will be surprised to find how there were so many that came and went over the years, and yet none survive today! Enjoy!

Thanks,
JH

Here’s the web link; DISCOUNT STORES OF THE '60S

Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Watson View Post
Kings Highway mentioned the TG&Y at the Ridgewood Shopping Center so I thought I'd share this. It's called "Discount Stores of the 60s", it gives history and information on stores such as TG&Y (and many others you probably never heard of!) that filled shopping centers like Ridgewood and the Garland Shopping Center back in the day. You will be surprised to find how there were so many that came and went over the years, and yet none survive today! Enjoy!

Thanks,
JH

Here’s the web link; DISCOUNT STORES OF THE '60S
I remember that TG&Y well; I went to school at Memorial Jr. High and walked through that center twice a day for three years. Also the old Toy Village in that center where we raced the little HO slot cars on Saturday mornings. There was also a TG&Y in the Orchard Hills center between Rexall and Piggly Wiggly.

The old discount stores I remember around here:

Cook's
Spartan's
Medallion
Treasure City
Woolco
Gibson's
The Treasury (owned by JC Penney)
Thomas & Hart (owned by Southland Corp.)
Venture

I helped open the first Target stores in the area back in 1969 - the ones at Montfort/LBJ and Centerville/LBJ were stores 13 and 14 of the chain. Worked there for 5 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas