Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 05:23 PM

567 posts, read 679,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You would think that if they died of dehydration and heat stroke that it would have been apparent during the autopsy. I'm sure that they have looked at the dog, too. Is the dog's death inconclusive and awaiting toxicology results, too?
A baby, a dog, a man, and a woman -at least one of them could show at least some autopsy results that may detail a heat related death event occurred, even though the autopsies for this type of death may be sketchy, as op states.

Pardon me, I just read that an initial autopsy revealed nothing. .

Last edited by glenninindy; 08-21-2021 at 06:46 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 05:24 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,771,694 times
Quote:
You would think that if they died of dehydration and heat stroke that it would have been apparent during the autopsy. I'm sure that they have looked at the dog, too. Is the dog's death inconclusive and awaiting toxicology results, too?
Supposedly, HS is not always detected during autopsy. That is my non-expert medical opinion.

The autopsy findings of heat stroke may be
minimal and are non-specific, particularly if
the survival interval is short

https://forensicmed.webnode.com/path...ess-and-death/

https://www.aaimedicine.org/journal-...34-02-0114.pdf

Old 08-21-2021, 06:02 PM

21,975 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
You could probably survive longer sitting on your couch in the comfort of AC for a few days with little water. But hiking uphill on a hot day could dehydrate you pretty fast.
What kills you with dehydration is kidney failure, ultimately. You don't "die of thirst" in a few hours. If all four of them died of kidney failure, pretty sure they'd be able to tell from either the bloodwork or examination of the kidneys themselves.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:37 PM

21,975 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Another one bites the dust:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...?ocid=msedgntp

I mean, they call it DEATH Valley for a reason (and there was a warning posted).

Darwin Award.

Old 08-21-2021, 06:49 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,891,271 times
Yeah this is a strange one. The fact that the dog was dead too and with them is odd. You’d think the dog would wonder off. The fact that they all died is really strange. Something seems fishy.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:42 PM

631 posts, read 290,386 times
I agree with all who said the dog throws a monkey wrench into this one. I've owned (and hiked with) dogs all my life, and while they ARE loyal and always stay near their humans, they do seek shade and water along the way any way they can. One of my big headaches had always been that I couldn't prevent them from running into and lapping up brackish or otherwise questionable water. They will even lap up mud and eat grass for moisture. Unless the dog was leashed, I would have expected it to wander about in search of cool spots, dampness, and water, while maintaining relative proximity to the humans. It's what dogs do naturally. It's also very telling that there was a water source at the bottom of the trail (which the family is assumed to have reached), which guarantees that the dog would have drank from -- all of which makes dehydration in the dog a very unlikely cause of death.

As someone pointed out, heatstroke is not the same as dehydration, and one can die of heatstroke relatively quickly even while hydrated. It's possible heatstroke got them, but I'm doubtful about it getting the dog, too, for the above reasons. In nature, with available shade and moisture, dogs find ways to survive in surprising ways.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:52 PM

631 posts, read 290,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Another one bites the dust:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ca...?ocid=msedgntp

I mean, they call it DEATH Valley for a reason (and there was a warning posted).

Darwin Award.
I understand Death Valley on someone's (not mine, however) bucket list, but I don't get why they have to knock it off during the summer months. I think it's testimony to how domesticated human beings have grown -- to the point that they have no healthy respect for, or rough ball park idea about the unforgiving hardness of nature.

Old 08-21-2021, 09:55 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
I understand Death Valley on someone's (not mine, however) bucket list, but I don't get why they have to knock it off during the summer months. I think it's testimony to how domesticated human beings have grown -- to the point that they have no healthy respect for, or rough ball park idea about the unforgiving hardness of nature.
The guy was 60 and probably had been a hiker for a long time. He may have been trying to challenge himself - hiking death valley in 134 degree heat! I would be real surprised if a novice chose that particular hike under those extreme conditions. But you never know I suppose.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:27 PM

15,427 posts, read 9,117,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Did you actually read it?

They were not exercising or closed up in a car and they still had water with them.
They were hiking 3.3 miles up a 12% grade. If you don't know that that is heavy exercise, then obviously you have never done it. You can deny it all you want that people don't die in a few hours while hiking in extreme heat without water, but it happens all the time. The woman in Phenix being just one example.

I can give you endless examples of people who have died in less then one day in heat from lack of water. Any one of these cases disproves your theory that people can't die from lack of water in less then 3 or 4 days.

I know it's a wast of time, because you are going to believe what you want to believe, but here is one more case, that disproves your theory.

Quote:
French boy spared desert death because parents sacrificed water, say US rangers

It was supposed to be a dream holiday; a five-week road trip around the western United States for travel-mad Ornella and David Steiner, and their son, Enzo.

Last Tuesday, rangers at the White Sands National Monument in New Mexico found the couple dead, apparently from heat and a lack of water. Enzo, nine, was discovered dehydrated and sunburned but alive, next to his father’s body.

Two empty 50cl bottles of water were found with the bodies, well below the 3.8 litres of water the park recommends for each hiker.

Park rangers came across Ornella Steiner, 51, first at 17.30 on Tuesday while on a routine patrol of the Alkali Flat trail in the park, a vast desert of bleached sand.

Looking at the photographs on her camera, they realised she had been hiking with a man and a child. Driving further into the park, they came across her husband, 42, and son a couple of miles further on.

Enzo told rescuers his mother had decided to return to their hire car after feeling unwell in the heat that hovered above 38C. When his father became unconscious, Enzo, not knowing what else to do, decided to stay with him.

Rescuers said it appeared that the parents, who had not signed the park’s entry register, had left for their hike shortly after midday when temperatures can reach 40C. Park officials advise early morning or late evening hikes. They added that Enzo told rangers his parents had given the best part of their dwindling water supply to him.

Benny House, the local sheriff, said the boy had told them that his mother and father had “taken one mouthful, while they made him take two”.

“Perhaps that’s why he came out of it alive, because he is smaller and probably drank more water than them,” House told the local Alamogordo Daily News.
French boy spared desert death because parents sacrificed water, say US rangers _ France _ The Guardian

Old 08-21-2021, 10:32 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,630,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I agree .. it’s disturbing just how many go missing
At these parks … many believe something very weird is going on
( not Bigfoot)

Many of the missing cases have no rational
Explanations quite a mystery

I thought the 411 missings
Were b s. Until I looked into it
And could relate to two things that
Happened to me in the woods that was very strange
( one was a baby crying just ahead of me I got to walking towards it
And it kept moving away- until I was lost and disoriented.. finally
As it was getting dark.. I got scared and ran by my compass direction towards the car
). I also heard my name said twice.. in an eerie tone
Never ever went back in those woods and I’ve been hunting all my life.. I had a shotgun with me that day
And for whatever reason was scared … something very cold and evil was in those woods) I’m usually quite brave
Holding a shotgun .. but not that day
Yep, Ive read many experiences with those kinds of details! Im not suggesting 'Bigfoot' is to blame, but there is something that is not of the norm happening and I think the DNR knows more than they admit to.

The strange thing though...10s of 1000s of other people go to the same spots, hiking, camping, etc and never experience anything like this! Dont know what to make of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events