Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 12:23 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Okay that changes everything. They were out of water. He stayed with the child and dog, she went to get help and didn't make it far. I don't know where they got that the temperature was 105-107. It was 102°F in the Central Valley that day, about 91°F in the mountains. But still hot enough to kill you if you don't have water.

The trail is about a 2,200 foot drop down to the river, and 2,200 feet back up. That's a pretty strenuous climb back out. In moderate heat without water, you are probably not going to make it.

It doesn't sound like they were experienced hikers. Experienced hikers always make sure that they have enough water. This sounds like hiker error. They underestimated the difficulty of the trail, and the amount of water they would need.

There was a small amount of water in their backpack and in any case an adult can live without water for 3 or 4 days

Old 08-21-2021, 12:34 PM

566 posts, read 678,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
There was a small amount of water in their backpack and in any case an adult can live without water for 3 or 4 days
If it was a heat related death, it should show during autopsy. But I think it is a strange poisoning, case because of the way all the bodies were systematically organized together on the trail including the dog. Could heat exhaustion do this to them at the same time together, in the same place, on the trail, including the dog? I don't think so.

Last edited by glenninindy; 08-21-2021 at 01:31 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 12:39 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Okay that changes everything. They were out of water. He stayed with the child and dog, she went to get help and didn't make it far. I don't know where they got that the temperature was 105-107. It was 102°F in the Central Valley that day, about 91°F in the mountains. But still hot enough to kill you if you don't have water.

The trail is about a 2,200 foot drop down to the river, and 2,200 feet back up. That's a pretty strenuous climb back out. In moderate heat without water, you are probably not going to make it.

It doesn't sound like they were experienced hikers. Experienced hikers always make sure that they have enough water. This sounds like hiker error. They underestimated the difficulty of the trail, and the amount of water they would need.
"They lived a little ways from the trail head and hiked every weekend"....

If that's the case there almost has to be something more to this. If they had died of heat stroke they should have seen that in the autopsy, right?

In the pictures of the trail that I've seen, the grade of the trail doesn't appear to be particularly steep. Although I would tend to agree that hiking on an ascending grade for miles in 90 to 100+ temps could make you pretty thirsty.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
If it was a heat related death, it should show during autopsy. But I think it is a strange poisoning, suicide, case because of the way all the bodies were systematically organized together on the trail including the dog. Could heat exhaustion do this to them at the same time together on the trail, including the dog? I don't think so.
You're right, if it was heat related if the humans were too stupid to find shade I'm sure the dog would have. From what I read earlier here the mom was not with the other bodies

Old 08-21-2021, 12:43 PM

17,391 posts, read 16,532,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenninindy View Post
If it was a heat related death, it should show during autopsy. But I think it is a strange poisoning case because of the way all the bodies were systematically organized together on the trail including the dog. Could heat exhaustion do this to them at the same time together on the trail, including the dog? I don't think so.
The only thing I can figure is that maybe the wife fell ill first, the husband attempted to carry her and the baby out before becoming exhausted himself. He may have laid her down on the trail, to try to go and get help and then collapsed himself.

That does not seem too likely, though, because the autopsy should have found some kind of evidence of her being ill and him dying of heat exhaustion.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:45 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
I assume the "water in the backpack" was a camelback, which is a water bladder with a hose from which you drink, but not sure how you're expected to give a dog a drink with that! If it was instead water in a water bottle in a backpack, how many empty water bottles were also in there or else found strewn along the trail if they were litterbugs and discarded them?

And yes, you can live a long time without water. You might get sick from heat exhaustion, heat stroke, or dehydration, but it's unlike four healthy creatures would "die of thirst" on a 2-mile hike in hot but not unsurvivable temperatures, especially with a source of natural water at hand (which again, might make you sick LATER, but save your life NOW).

Old 08-21-2021, 12:48 PM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
I use our camel back to give our dog water. He just licks the water as it streams out.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-21-2021, 12:53 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times
Okay...but it's generally considered a water source for one -- not family-sized and for the dog, too. Were no other water bottles found? Too bad journalists these days can't seem to remember to give the whole story when they report a story...

Regardless, I wouldn't attribute the death of four creatures on a short hike to "lack of water" (especially since some remained).

Old 08-21-2021, 12:55 PM

15,421 posts, read 9,078,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
No you can't. Read this thread. Woman Found Dead at Mountain Hiking Trail After 1st Date With Arizona Cop
That woman died in a couple of hours without water, in similar conditions to this case.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 08-21-2021 at 01:24 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 01:06 PM

Quote:
No you can't. Read this thread. SD Sheriff Deputy exposed to too much fentanyl almost dies on camera That woman died in a couple of hours without water, in similar conditions to this case.
No you can't what? I don't know what woman you are talking about. You posted a link to a San Diego sheriff laying on the ground which by the way has been refuted by numerous medical professionals as a fake setup by the Deputies involved, google it yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events