Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 11:07 AM

7,188 posts, read 4,593,016 times

Advertisements

I remember people being killed in Yosemite and eventually they discover it was the handyman. It’s beyond weird that there’s no physical evidence.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:08 AM

22,033 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
...or someone needed to secretly test his deadly aerosol spray on a small scale before releasing it on a cruise ship or in a crowded mall.
Terrorists! Anything is possible...

Old 08-21-2021, 11:09 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,774,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Unattended deaths with no obvious cause are opened as homicides.
Before tox report comes back? I did not know this. Then I still lean toward something environmental that did not show up on the autopsies. Although, I am not sure what kinds of things would not show up, or what gases.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:28 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,774,238 times
Today's SF Chronicle stated that the temperature that day was 105-107. They found the father "in the middle of the trail in a seated position with the child and dog next to him, the mother was a bit further up the trail". They did find a small amount of water in a container in a backpack. They lived a little ways from the trail head and hiked every weekend.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:38 AM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The article said they were found "near" the hiking trail. Could they have come across someone (or several someones) who murdered the entire family? It seems far-fetched, but they could conceivably have restrained them one by one and smothered them. That would leave no trauma on the body or tell-tale evidence.

smothering would have been detected during autopsy, it causes petechial hemorrhage the presence of which indicates death by hanging, strangulation or smothering. I don't know is it was murder/suicide or if someone else did this, if it was the latter then my guess would be death from a large dose of fentanyl which could have been administered by injection or ingestion. I just read that they found a remote control near the scene, not sure what the relevance was if they are lucky and "if" it was homicide maybe they will get lucky and pull a fingerprint off of it. Another possibility - Russia has poisons that can kill just by being released in the proximity of the victim, they are neurotoxins and virtually undetectable. I'm not saying it was a Russian my guess is that people in other countries have access to the same agent

Old 08-21-2021, 11:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,680,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I remember people being killed in Yosemite and eventually they discover it was the handyman. It’s beyond weird that there’s no physical evidence.
That was an awful case. It was a man, brother to the kid "stolen" when he was young. He eventually came back from the ordeal (ran away w/ another kid kidnapped) and resumed his life. His brother, as a child (when psychopaths start behaviors), had problems. Became worse and killed I think 4 women in Yosemite.

Old 08-21-2021, 11:39 AM

17,431 posts, read 16,608,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Today's SF Chronicle stated that the temperature that day was 105-107. They found the father "in the middle of the trail in a seated position with the child and dog next to him, the mother was a bit further up the trail". They did find a small amount of water in a container in a backpack. They lived a little ways from the trail head and hiked every weekend.
I wonder if they were headed away from the trail head entrance or towards it? Were they in the process of hiking in or on their way back out? The fact that they only had a little water left would seem to indicate that they were on their way back out when they collapsed. And it seems as though they were very familiar with the trail and hiked it often. So weird.

105-107 degree weather is VERY hot - was that the actual temp or the heat index "feels like" temp?

Old 08-21-2021, 11:42 AM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Before tox report comes back? I did not know this. Then I still lean toward something environmental that did not show up on the autopsies. Although, I am not sure what kinds of things would not show up, or what gases.
She's right..if you can't prove suicide, illness or accident you have to assume homicide.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:15 PM

15,435 posts, read 9,132,575 times
Quote:
Okay that changes everything. They were out of water. He stayed with the child and dog, she went to get help and didn't make it far. I don't know where they got that the temperature was 105-107. It was 102°F in the Central Valley that day, about 91°F in the mountains. But still hot enough to kill you if you don't have water.

The trail is about a 2,200 foot drop down to the river, and 2,200 feet back up. That's a pretty strenuous climb back out. In moderate heat without water, you are probably not going to make it.

It doesn't sound like they were experienced hikers. Experienced hikers always make sure that they have enough water. This sounds like hiker error. They underestimated the difficulty of the trail, and the amount of water they would need.

Old 08-21-2021, 12:21 PM

22,033 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
105-107 degree weather is VERY hot - was that the actual temp or the heat index "feels like" temp?
Don't they have low humidity there? "Feels like" is heat index, which is heat and humidity combined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events