Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 06:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times

Advertisements

I don't think anyone who met him along the way - and there were many, who remembered him fondly - would have described him as suicidal or even depressed.

Although you could certainly argue that anyone who takes extreme risks has less will to live than most of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 06:57 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,555,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't think anyone who met him along the way - and there were many, who remembered him fondly - would have described him as suicidal or even depressed.

Although you could certainly argue that anyone who takes extreme risks has less will to live than most of us.
He was at peace, leaving his awful parents and soon leaving this sh$tty world. This whole romanticized version of the story is made up by Krakauer. Underneath the bs is a person who rejected the world he was born into - and I think that's why his story resonates. He wasn't ugly, stupid or poor - he couldn't relate to the materialistic, superficiality and ego driven nature of people. That's why he felt so alone and died a virgin. But I believe after college he went on a suicide mission, and he succeeded - just took awhile.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:03 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
He was at peace, leaving his awful parents and soon leaving this sh$tty world. This whole romanticized version of the story is made up by Krakauer. Underneath the bs is a person who rejected the world he was born into - and I think that's why his story resonates. He wasn't ugly, stupid or poor - he couldn't relate to the materialistic, superficiality and ego driven nature of people. That's why he felt so alone and died a virgin. But I believe after college he went on a suicide mission, and he succeeded - just took awhile.
You don't seem to have any idea what you're talking about here, and you continue to project your own feelings on McCandless without any apparent evidence to back your own feelings up.

I'm done responding to you.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 PM

If I was projecting my own feelings I wouldn't be typing this because I would have done what he did decades ago. I'm explaining what I think he went through and why he ended up dead in a bus in the middle of nowhere at age 24.
Krakauer and Chris's parents profited from this and that disgusts me.

Last edited by duke944; 07-31-2019 at 07:16 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 07:22 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
If I was projecting my own feelings I wouldn't be typing this because I would have done what he did decades ago. I'm explaining what I think he went through and why he ended up dead in a bus in the middle of nowhere at age 24.
Krakauer and Chris's parents profited from this and that disgusts me.
And yet aren’t you glad the story was told?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
And yet aren’t you glad the story was told?
Yeah, I am - guilty.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:38 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Poisoning>>starvation, then dying alone there--I always thought all of it was very sad.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Poisoning>>starvation, then dying alone there--I always thought all of it was very sad.
The whole thing is awful. It would have been SO WONDERFUL if some hikers had come upon him, dying there, and been able to rescue him.

Old 08-01-2019, 04:23 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,273,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
The whole thing is awful. It would have been SO WONDERFUL if some hikers had come upon him, dying there, and been able to rescue him.
Even if "hikers" had come across him, there's no guarantee he'd have lived, there's also the risk he would take one or more "hikers" with him. 30 miles is a long way to haul a nearly cadaver. Between Park's and the Teklanika is the best part, even ATVs struggle past there until freeze up. So you're going to be walking

This is precisely the issue I have about McCandless and folks like him, people read the story with zero context to be aware of what happened and what's clearly BS. Then they draw mental pictures of how it would be wonderful if it had worked out, mostly without any idea of reality.

It wasn't going to work out, he was dead the moment he set off alone, Alaska is a mean MF, and she'll slap you upside your head for being an idiot. The only thing in doubt is how many other people are injured or killed through your own stupidity.

Of course had he survived, I doubt that this thread would exist, or, anyone would be dying to go to bus 142. It's far more romantic to fantasize about what someone was thinking who died there, than know what they were doing when they were rescued there.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:13 AM

10,342 posts, read 5,863,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Ah yes, the imaginary gullible women who read a chance story on the internet and base all treatment decisions on that.
...that’s what I got out of it, friendly bears cure cancer, but that may actually have been a Native American unobtrusively hanging out for a week. I’ll just have to try it out.
Quote:
Check this video, starting at 2:27 what this guy says is consistant with my suicide theory. Chris died a virgin, was really socially awkward, had a lot of anger towards his parents.
Otherwise known as an Incel... His college roommate had the more objective insight in all of this, I think it’s fair to say.
Thanks for the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events