Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 07:20 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Removing the Bus did nothing.
Now it is an even greater challenge and adventure to find the spot where the bus was.
It is the location, not the bus that is the adventure.
Nah.......the bus was the ultimate selfie spot! No bus, nothing to mark the adventure.

If you pulled off the Alaska highway and simply took a selfie of some bushes you could say you are in "the spot" and nobody could argue you weren't.

The people looking for the magic bus won't go now that there is no magic bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 10:49 AM

15,420 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Nah.......the bus was the ultimate selfie spot! No bus, nothing to mark the adventure.

If you pulled off the Alaska highway and simply took a selfie of some bushes you could say you are in "the spot" and nobody could argue you weren't.

The people looking for the magic bus won't go now that there is no magic bus.
Keep dreaming. A memorial will be built at the site, and people will take their selfies there. People love to create memorials, and even if the State were to keep removing it, people would keep rebuilding it. And no the location will never be a secret. There is this little thing called "GPS" which most people have and which will direct anyone to the location where the bus stood. Nothing is going to keep people from visiting the site.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:57 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,544,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
That's a narrow and incorrect definition of brilliance IMO.

One can concurrently be brilliant and reckless/foolish.

I have an old book that profiles mathematicians from 1800's and 1900's who have made major contributions to their field of study. All of them were obviously brilliant, yet the anecdotes of their personal lives frequently made me wonder how they could be so smart and yet also "stupid" in practical matters of life.

What is the name of this book... it sounds interesting.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:40 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
If they'd rather die young, there's no need to send out search and rescue. They die young. Rescue crews don't risk their own. Everybody wins.
Rescue crews would have nothing to do but sit around their barracks practicing tying knots and watching soap operas on the TV

Old 08-03-2020, 10:17 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Back to the Wild.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:47 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Back to the Wild.
I think KittenSparkles is asking about the name of the book Arktikos made mention of, the old book he has that profiles mathematicians from 1800's and 1900's who have made major contributions to their field of study.

Old 08-03-2020, 01:56 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Rescue crews would have nothing to do but sit around their barracks practicing tying knots and watching soap operas on the TV
Well, in that area, they would be free to do the many other things they are responsible for, be they volunteer firefighters with "day jobs", state law enforcers, or park rangers.

To another poster, having lived in that area for nearly a decade before moving away, I saw the Teklanika River in that area in all months in all seasons of the year. Only once in nine years during a very wet spring did I see it where it was utterly unswimmable and I'm sure it was only for a week or two. But my "unswimmable" and McCandless's "unswimmable" and "unswimmable" to the unfortunate woman who was the subject of this thread originally, are three different things.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:13 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Back to the Wild.
I thought it was "Into the Wild"? The original book.

Then there was "Into Thin Air", another true adventure gripper of a story (Mt. Everest).

Old 08-03-2020, 02:17 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I thought it was "Into the Wild"? The original book.

Then there was "Into Thin Air", another true adventure gripper of a story (Mt. Everest).
I think they were asking about this book:

Quote:
I have an old book that profiles mathematicians from 1800's and 1900's who have made major contributions to their field of study. All of them were obviously brilliant, yet the anecdotes of their personal lives frequently made me wonder how they could be so smart and yet also "stupid" in practical matters of life.

Old 08-03-2020, 02:31 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
Quote:
Back to the Wild.
LOL...not only have you misinterpreted the question of the other poster (he was asking about the mathematician book), but you got the title of Krakauer's book wrong...and also the book title is in the subject line!
Not meaning to pick on you, but it is funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events