Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2018, 11:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,878,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Agree wholeheartedly! Girls are still being taught to be sweet and pleasing. While that may be fine, it needs to be balanced with lessons on how to deflect abuse, both verbally, as Quietude mentions, and physically, if necessary. Being taught ONLY to be sweet and pleasing and helpful sets girls and women up to be victims. They also need to learn, that being loud or angry is OK, and appropriate, if someone's trying to take advantage of you.

What's interesting, is that when on the few occasions I've posted that on the Relationships forum, there have always been a few men who object strenuously, as if they think I"m advocating turning women into thugs of some sort. They want their women soft and sweet and compliant. But being able to defend oneself, and to head off abuse coming your way, is not mutually exclusive with being kind and caring in appropriate situations. Women can be capable of self-defense, while also being nurturing, thoughtful and kind. I don't know why anyone would want a loved one of theirs to be hobbled and unable to protect themselves.
Consider that they are still teaching women to yell 'Fire' instead of 'help'....that speaks volumes imo!

I think this 'metoo' movement is sending the wrong message as well, its teaching young girls that there is a 'right and wrong' time to speak out, basically waiting until its popular to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 08:46 PM

17,875 posts, read 22,736,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats pretty brazen thing do to a complete stranger on a plane.
Hey even Governor's kids do it:
Charlie Baker's son under investigation in alleged in-flight 'incident' | Boston Herald

Old 11-26-2018, 09:05 PM

79,600 posts, read 61,828,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Agree wholeheartedly! Girls are still being taught to be sweet and pleasing. While that may be fine, it needs to be balanced with lessons on how to deflect abuse, both verbally, as Quietude mentions, and physically, if necessary. Being taught ONLY to be sweet and pleasing and helpful sets girls and women up to be victims. They also need to learn, that being loud or angry is OK, and appropriate, if someone's trying to take advantage of you.

What's interesting, is that when on the few occasions I've posted that on the Relationships forum, there have always been a few men who object strenuously, as if they think I"m advocating turning women into thugs of some sort. They want their women soft and sweet and compliant. But being able to defend oneself, and to head off abuse coming your way, is not mutually exclusive with being kind and caring in appropriate situations. Women can be capable of self-defense, while also being nurturing, thoughtful and kind. I don't know why anyone would want a loved one of theirs to be hobbled and unable to protect themselves.
I think we can all agree that such scumbags should suffer a horrible punishment.

That being said, younger women these days are not so demure as they were back in the day (yay!)

I have about 5 very attractive young women in my immediate family that are between 19-23. I can guarantee you that every one of them would vocalize in their defense if found on an airline. On top of that, my 3 young "sons" in that same age range would definitely come to their defense although not as violently as I would myself.

Let's all remember, MOST of us are decent people. THere are 330+ million in the US. It only takes 0.3% to be deviant to produce 1 million wackjobs.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:10 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,822,339 times
You know.
They surveyed college guys...basically boiled down to a third of them saying they'd commit sexual assault if th here were no repercussions.

I'm not sold on the "vast majority" of people being decent.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:51 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,533,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I think we can all agree that such scumbags should suffer a horrible punishment.

That being said, younger women these days are not so demure as they were back in the day (yay!).
So you think if this 13 year old girl had been "demure" this wouldn't have happened to her?

Old 11-26-2018, 10:01 PM

9,486 posts, read 7,147,033 times
If Priests can bastardize the most sacred of trusts with young children then so can almost any random stranger.

It does make me sad that this is indeed the world we live in but people like these need to be locked away for many many years. The guy caught with a kilo of cocaine facing 20 years in jail whereas the child thigh rubber might get 5 years max for a first offense and have to sign up on the pedophile list. The latter much deserves the former sentence.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:18 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,878,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
If Priests can bastardize the most sacred of trusts with young children then so can almost any random stranger.

It does make me sad that this is indeed the world we live in but people like these need to be locked away for many many years. The guy caught with a kilo of cocaine facing 20 years in jail whereas the child thigh rubber might get 5 years max for a first offense and have to sign up on the pedophile list. The latter much deserves the former sentence.
I do agree those things are totally wrong, and I agree THIS crime is bad, but I still think all crimes should eventually come off a persons record, keeping a conviction on for life is basically a scarlet letter in todays modern world.

Old 11-27-2018, 07:49 AM

1,532 posts, read 1,078,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
So you think if this 13 year old girl had been "demure" this wouldn't have happened to her?
I didn’t get that impression from the post; my reading was essentially the opposite. My interpretation was that, if the girl had been “demure,” she would not have spoken up and simply would have endured in silence.

Perhaps the poster will clarify.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 AM

36,188 posts, read 18,640,921 times
This happens slowly. He didn't boldly reach for the crotch right away, obviously. He did a few apparently "accidental" touches, got closer and closer until he could determine she would not protest any of his touching. Who knows how far he would have gone, had the attendant not noticed and put a stop to it.

Hopefully this young girl will have learned from this - that her discomfort is important, and adults will come to her rescue immediately when this kind of thing happens.

It's interesting. Most children won't put up with this at all, and I don't know how you teach this kind of trust to those who don't know what to do if they're being quietly assaulted in a public setting.

Old 11-27-2018, 02:38 PM

20,546 posts, read 15,007,255 times
Hm. There are some here saying they would not send a minor unaccompanied on a flight. That's as may be. But I say that the Greyhound bus is where the REAL crazies are, in droves, and have been for a long time. I did a bus trip at age 17, which would have been in 1996, from Cincinnati to northern Virginia and back. I encountered:

- A man who informed me quite calmly that he was in DC to visit museums and try to rape mummies. And then followed me around and stared at me.
- A man who worked at the Columbus bus station (we had a layover) who told me that he was a leprechaun, but the reason that he is tall and thin is that he has a glandular disorder, which skips generations in his family, so fortunately his son did not inherit in and is the proper stature for leprechauns. And then he invited me to his office to see his rare book collection. Because I was already afraid of the mummy guy, I actually went. He showed me a small bookcase of old books. And that was it. Nothing bad happened. Maybe he really was a leprechaun.
- A guy who was heading to West Virginia, who was right out of a long prison sentence, and looked like a seriously prison-inked Dog the Bounty Hunter. He was very nice. I had to teach him how to use "child proof" lighters (remember those? You had to break the little plastic bit off?) We ended up exchanging addresses and sent each other letters and Christmas cards for a while.
- And finally, icing on the damn cake, I DID get sexually assaulted and molested, but of all people, it wasn't the mummy raper nor the weird leprechaun nor the felon. It was a clean cut young man who was on his way to join the Marines. Totally respectable looking.

The bus is a very sketchy experience. I do not recommend it. Especially not to young girls/women travelling alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events