Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,575,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
I don't know killing a helpless human because it cannot live the same type of life we can seems grotesque to me.
Where did I say that? Please point it out. If I had an ultrasound & that's what was going, you can bet I'd abort it. I'm not going to lay my kid with a horrible life simply for my own selfish reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 02:23 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,336,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, so simply being alive is a quality of life? You'd prefer to keep a vegetable alive for your own selfish reasons. Nothing more grotesque than that, congrats.
If that is all that you got out of my post, either I wasted my time or you missed the point. Either way, having spent the time to right my existential tome, I am selfishly disappointed by your meager response.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
If that is all that you got out of my post, either I wasted my time or you missed the point. Either way, having spent the time to right my existential tome, I am selfishly disappointed by your meager response.
Shrug, oh well.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Shrug, oh well.
Let me ask you this, are you a parent or in any way attached to a someone so dear to you that their death is simply incomprehensible to you? You and I both know that if the question is answered in the negative that the ultimate reposte will be something along the lines of "if you aren't a parent you couldn't understand." Not a very articulate response but it is a cold hard fact nonetheless.

The motivation of parents or even children who looking into the abyss of the permanent loss of a loved one goes well beyond any simple definition of selfishness. Certainly at its base it about the personal loss of the living not the death of the dying, but the motivation to do whatever is necessary to maintain the life of that other being tears so deep into very foundation of one's being and we will chase after any cure, any magic, any wisp of a futile prayer to maintain that life. It is such a base emotion that it goes so beyond logic, or rational thinking so much so that the idea of selfishness ceases to be relevant to the conversation. And humans are not alone, in this regard. Every sentient being on the planet is willing to risk their own life in the most futile attempt to save the life of a loved one. It is part of out nature, it is part of nature in general and simply writing such emotional drive is simply an act of selfishness is well just indecorous.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:10 PM

I have received and undue number of rep points for this the number of grammatical errors

Reposted with some corrections.

Quote:
Here's the thing, absent physical pain, a good life is only as good as one's expectations. If a person is incapable of recognizing the inadequacies of their life, who are we to argue that they are not living a "good life." I guess what I am attempting say, is that a good life for some should not be defined by our own definitions what a good life should be. That being the case, and absent physical pain, there isn't anything selfish about the parents actions, in fact they have taken on sacrifices that would break the average person. Theird son will experience life in a way that we can neither condemn much less comprehend.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:28 PM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Father responds: Jaxon Emmett Buell: Father of baby born with rare disorder responds to critics saying parents should have had abortion | Americas | News | The Independent

I agree, imagine the parents reading this. I have been around a lot of children with "issues" since we have a son with Down syndrome and I am sure that many here, well, actually most, would eliminate those children too. There are no words, well at least that wouldn't get me banned, to express my thoughts.

If the baby isn't suffering, I don't see the problem. This child is probably more loved than many that come into this world. You can tell the parents are taking very good care of him and that he feels loved is evident from the look in his eyes.

A child with disabilities is not the curse that many of you think. There is nothing "cruel" or "selfish" being done here.

You have the choice to end your baby's life and they should likewise have a choice to choose life for their baby even if that child doesn't meet your expectations. You wouldn't want them making a choice for you now would you?

Calling it an "it" was indeed the lowest point of this thread and that had a lot of competition for the lowest.

Old 09-28-2015, 05:01 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,242,084 times
^^Ditto. Being extremely pro-choice, I would have supported their decision to abort just as strongly as I support their decision to allow him whatever amount of a meaningful life he can have. From reading their FB page, it doesn't sound like he's suffering or in a vegetative state.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:09 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I think this falls under the category of just because you can doesn't mean you should.
Exactly. And of course they have to dangle that GoFundMe carrot

Old 09-28-2015, 06:14 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,560,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Father responds: Jaxon Emmett Buell: Father of baby born with rare disorder responds to critics saying parents should have had abortion | Americas | News | The Independent

I agree, imagine the parents reading this. I have been around a lot of children with "issues" since we have a son with Down syndrome and I am sure that many here, well, actually most, would eliminate those children too. There are no words, well at least that wouldn't get me banned, to express my thoughts.

If the baby isn't suffering, I don't see the problem. This child is probably more loved than many that come into this world. You can tell the parents are taking very good care of him and that he feels loved is evident from the look in his eyes.

A child with disabilities is not the curse that many of you think. There is nothing "cruel" or "selfish" being done here.

You have the choice to end your baby's life and they should likewise have a choice to choose life for their baby even if that child doesn't meet your expectations. You wouldn't want them making a choice for you now would you?

Calling it an "it" was indeed the lowest point of this thread and that had a lot of competition for the lowest.
I would never suggest that this family should have had an abortion. That is a very personal decision to be made with their faith and their doctor.

I can't say what I would have done; it's not a choice that I ever had to make.

It's the reason I refused a lot of testing because I just didn't want to know; didn't want to have to make that call.

I imagine they love their little boy very much and that every second with him is precious - not knowing what the future may hold.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Let me ask you this, are you a parent or in any way attached to a someone so dear to you that their death is simply incomprehensible to you? You and I both know that if the question is answered in the negative that the ultimate reposte will be something along the lines of "if you aren't a parent you couldn't understand." Not a very articulate response but it is a cold hard fact nonetheless.

The motivation of parents or even children who looking into the abyss of the permanent loss of a loved one goes well beyond any simple definition of selfishness. Certainly at its base it about the personal loss of the living not the death of the dying, but the motivation to do whatever is necessary to maintain the life of that other being tears so deep into very foundation of one's being and we will chase after any cure, any magic, any wisp of a futile prayer to maintain that life. It is such a base emotion that it goes so beyond logic, or rational thinking so much so that the idea of selfishness ceases to be relevant to the conversation. And humans are not alone, in this regard. Every sentient being on the planet is willing to risk their own life in the most futile attempt to save the life of a loved one. It is part of out nature, it is part of nature in general and simply writing such emotional drive is simply an act of selfishness is well just indecorous.
You can blather on for days, my stance remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events