Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 11:58 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,930,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
That's the existentially Hamlet-esque question of the day, isn't it.

If the awareness of life is as limited as we assume this child's awareness to be, is it fair, just, or even logical to presume to define a life worth living by the measure of one we presume be cognizant of life's full possibilities. We I look at an ant, do I wonder if they wish they have never been born an ant? Do I believe that the ant's life is not worth living because it can't enjoy a Charlie Parker solo, a Ansel Adams photograph, or fully appreciate the dawn of a new day? I would have to say that I don't, because I have no conceivable measure of what makes an ant's life worthy of living. So by the same token, because I can not reasonably divine this child's measure of what constitutes a "good life," how can I, or anyone for that matter, answer the question?
I agree. It's often society that defines the worth of an individual life - not the individual. For example, we execute murderers. Animal activist like those involved with PETA will dedicate their lives to protecting animals. As far as I know, most (if not all) of those animals have no sense of self that's worth noting...yet some will almost fight to the death to protect them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 12:09 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Anencephaly, no matter what other term you use is tragic. It's important to note that this child doesn't "know" he's alive. He has no functional cerebrum, so far as we know, he only "spinally" senses things like being moved around - and even then there is no actual conscious thought process. Once in a great while these babies live more than 24 hours. That's nothing new. But a year is very unusual. Unusually devout care must have been carried out.

The good news is that this is an accident of development, not genetic, and implies in no way that any subsequent pregnancies by this couple are in any way more likely to happen to them compared to any other pregnancy by anyone else.
Well, that is good news.

Poor baby; poor parents. I hope the poor little thing doesn't live long enough to just be a vegetable; too big to carry around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
This brings up another topic.

I would never try to have another child if something were so wrong with my first child. I do not understand why parents with special needs children keep trying. Why would you want to bring another suffering soul into the world?
Well, if what TwinbrookNine said - then that should not be a concern; it is not genetic; it is developmental. Nothing is a sure thing - certainly not a pregnancy. Different abnormalities can happen and it's no one's fault.

This is why I never had an amnio or anything because . . I wouldn't want to have to make that decision. It would be heartbreaking either way.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:27 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,404,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, if what TwinbrookNine said - then that should not be a concern; it is not genetic; it is developmental. Nothing is a sure thing - certainly not a pregnancy. Different abnormalities can happen and it's no one's fault.
I agree, BUT it happened. It could happen again. I wouldn't take that chance.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:33 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,335 times
How does anyone here know what kind of quality of life that baby has. Maybe with the level of brain function had the child will be happy with feeling love.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
That's the existentially Hamlet-esque question of the day, isn't it.

If the awareness of life is as limited as we assume this child's awareness to be, is it fair, just, or even logical to presume to define a life worth living by the measure of one we presume be cognizant of life's full possibilities. We I look at an ant, do I wonder if they wish they have never been born an ant? Do I believe that the ant's life is not worth living because it can't enjoy a Charlie Parker solo, a Ansel Adams photograph, or fully appreciate the dawn of a new day? I would have to say that I don't, because I have no conceivable measure of what makes an ant's life worthy of living. So by the same token, because I can not reasonably divine this child's measure of what constitutes a "good life," how can I, or anyone for that matter, answer the question?

Again, this question goes to the heart what is "any sort of life" the child is alive so at the most basic level the child does indeed have some sort of life. Is it the quality of life that we would expect but then again is that a fair comparison.

As for the question of parental selfishness, the very act of conceiving a child is selfish. No child has ever been asked to be born, and as every parent knows, at some point that child will remind them of that fact. So when we bring a child into this world, it is no guarantee that they have a good life. We work from the assumption that they will whether that assumption is borne out is another matter. So the immediate reason that we have children is to innate desire to create this being that is ours to love, to hold, to cherish, to make ourselves fulfilled, at least until the destroy our favorite piece of clothing, wreck the car, or worse, much much worse. So, are these parents being selfish, yes they are, just as all parents are to one degree or another.
Lol, so simply being alive is a quality of life? You'd prefer to keep a vegetable alive for your own selfish reasons. Nothing more grotesque than that, congrats.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:51 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Dear God, I hope the parents never come onto this site and read some of these comments.

Life is precious. Who are we to judge who is worthy of living and who isn't, based on our ideas of perfection - as if there even is such a thing when it comes to human life?

I don't want to see anyone suffer needlessly, but the decision to honor his life and treat him with the respect and appreciation that ALL humans deserve is a valid choice for these parents to make, and I commend them on their love for and acceptance of their son.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I hope it can't feel pain, that's really sad.
"It" is a little boy - a person - named Jaxon.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:12 PM

10,226 posts, read 6,312,506 times
You can see it in their eyes if they can understand and feel emotions on a deeper level. Some of the severely disabled can, and others cannot at all. I speak from experience working for years with MR/DD population.

It is not a one size fits all situation. Nothing in life is.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:32 PM

4,288 posts, read 2,058,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, so simply being alive is a quality of life? You'd prefer to keep a vegetable alive for your own selfish reasons. Nothing more grotesque than that, congrats.
I don't know killing a helpless human because it cannot live the same type of life we can seems grotesque to me.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:48 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,644,356 times
If you check out the Politics and Other Controversies > Elections threads you will see many with the same brain compatibility and they learned to type.

He's a handsome little fellow with those big blue eyes. If his parents are happy with their decision then I'm happy for them. Good on those who have donated to keep the mom at home !!! Great name Jax Strong !!! Live long and prosper !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events