Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 07:47 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,243,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Here's the thing, absent physical pain, a good life is only as good as one's expectations. If a person is incapable of recognizing the inadequacies of their life, who is anyone to argue that their they are not living a "good life." I guess what I am attempting so say, is that a good life should not be defined by our definitions of the good life. That being the case, and absent physical pain, there isn't anything selfish about the parents actions, in fact they have taken on sacrifices that would break the average person. There son will experience life in a way that we can neither condemn much less comprehend.
Ditto. I don't know if I would have had the strength to make the choice they did, but this little guy gets to spend his short life in his parent's arms, surrounded by love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 08:49 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,387,234 times
whenever parents do this, they should automatically go to jail, possibly for life.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,013,781 times
This kid has anencephaly, correct? If I'm not mistaken, this condition essentially means the child has no brain. He is only alive and functioning at the basic level because he has a brain stem which controls heart rate and breathing, primarily. He cannot understand or comprehend anything around him, and even his smiles are a reflex. He has no quality of life. It's sad he is alive.

I am generally against abortion (don't want to start a debate on it, but I am against it except in cases like this, rape, etc; though I am against it morally in other situations, I DON'T believe it should be outlawed because that's not logistical, either) but had I been the mother, I just may have had one. I don't have kids yet but I do think about what I would maybe do if my unborn child got a diagnosis like this. It would of course be unimaginably tough but this poor baby has no quality of life and even if he does somehow live to adulthood, is and always will be essentially a vegetable.

All around sad situation.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:57 PM

14,969 posts, read 12,188,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
In the cave man days they would have smashed the baby's head in with a rock, which was a lot less cruel.
Even 40 years ago, they would have kept the baby comfortable, not treated anything, or done anything heroic, and let nature take its course. IMO that is a lot less cruel too,

Old 09-27-2015, 09:01 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,338,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
whenever parents do this, they should automatically go to jail, possibly for life.
For bloody what! Choosing not to abort! Seriously?!?

I'm as pro-choice as anyone, which also means I would never in bloody hell condemn someone from choosing to bring a child to term! You, me, or anyone else in this universe can know what kind of life this kid may or may not have. But one thing we know is that the human brain is one marvelously adaptive organ and in the case of infants the brain can actually restructure itself in many ways. So to jail for parents who bring a child, any child, to term in the hopes that they can provide a "good life' whatever the hell that means - even for those of use with fully functional brains - is absolutely absurd.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:

I'm as pro-choice as anyone, which also means I would never in bloody hell condemn someone from choosing to bring a child to term! You, me, or anyone else in this universe can know what kind of life this kid may or may not have. But one thing we know is that the human brain is one marvelously adaptive organ and in the case of infants the brain can actually restructure itself in many ways. So to jail for parents who bring a child, any child, to term in the hopes that they can provide a "good life' whatever the hell that means - even for those of use with fully functional brains - is absolutely absurd.
This baby is missing most if not all of his brain. Look at the pictures. There is no hope for his 'brain' in this case, or any others like him.

It's not like he had a TBI or surgery to remove some of his previously intact brain. He has no brain, essentially, which is why it's amazing he's lived this long. The fact that he has defied odds, though, doesn't mean his QOL or prognosis is any better. Like I said, sad situation for sure. Difficult for the parents no matter how you spin it.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:24 PM

7,580 posts, read 5,338,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This baby is missing most if not all of his brain. Look at the pictures. There is no hope for his 'brain' in this case, or any others like him.
Yeah, yeah, just sent you a rep for making me into an idiot!

But I will still defend the decision of these parents. If you are going to be pro-choice, then the choice goes two ways.

If this kid is effectively brain dead, and I don't have a reason to think otherwise, he may just be the luckiest human alive (See Hamlet's soliloquy).

Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, just sent you a rep for making me into an idiot!

But I will still defend the decision of these parents. If you are going to be pro-choice, then the choice goes two ways.

If this kid is effectively brain dead, and I don't have a reason to think otherwise, he may just be the luckiest human alive (See Hamlet's soliloquy).
I repped you telling you not to feel dumb!

Like I said in the comment, while it seems he was diagnosed with ananceplahy at or before birth, in time, according to articles I've read on him recently, they may have changed the diagnosis or now say it's unknown. Either way it's bad and seems to be essentially the same - little to no brain, little to no brain function.

Old 09-27-2015, 09:37 PM

23,768 posts, read 12,650,844 times
Quote:

Among other things ... he can see, he can recognize his parents and he can talk.

From his FB page ..

"Tomorrow, Jax will be 13 months old. It’s hard not to think about how this all started and where we are today. Most importantly, Jaxon is still here with us, still learning, still developing, still thriving. He’s back to smiling at us, always so happy in the morning after he wakes up and takes turns looking at both Mommy’s and Daddy’s face, seemingly as if he is so excited to start another day. He is talking up a storm these days, truly teaching himself how to communicate with us in his own way, in his own language, and we actually understand it after learning with him for these 13 months. He says “Mama”, and he says “Ah Ah” (Dadda), and “Addy” (Daddy). I love that. Jaxon is simply that, Jaxon. He is so normal in so many ways."

Old 09-27-2015, 09:47 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,640,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
This kid has anencephaly, correct? If I'm not mistaken, this condition essentially means the child has no brain. He is only alive and functioning at the basic level because he has a brain stem which controls heart rate and breathing, primarily. He cannot understand or comprehend anything around him, and even his smiles are a reflex. He has no quality of life. It's sad he is alive.

I am generally against abortion (don't want to start a debate on it, but I am against it except in cases like this, rape, etc; though I am against it morally in other situations, I DON'T believe it should be outlawed because that's not logistical, either) but had I been the mother, I just may have had one. I don't have kids yet but I do think about what I would maybe do if my unborn child got a diagnosis like this. It would of course be unimaginably tough but this poor baby has no quality of life and even if he does somehow live to adulthood, is and always will be essentially a vegetable.

All around sad situation.
He may have a little bit more brain than the typical anencephalic, but essentially yes. The higher parts of the brain and the dome of the skull are formed from the same structure during early development. He will never be a functioning, aware person at even the lowest level. I don't think he's in pain, but he may not even have the capability or awareness to feel pain. Pain is processed in many different parts of the brain, some of which this infant lacks.

It's a sad situation with no good outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events