Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2015, 04:49 AM

51,824 posts, read 37,605,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West2South View Post
You should probably read some valid research and stop buying into propaganda that is spread by the medical industry and the government it controls. Have you ever seen a death certificate that lists "obesity" as the cause of death? You won't because people die of causes that are falsely blamed on obesity. Besides the fact that the medical standard for obesity was arbitrarily changed by the government in 1988 to create millions of new "obese" people, there is no valid research that demonstrates that a person's weight is the cause of other diseases or conditions that cause death. Everyone just says so, so everyone just believes it.

There is such a thing as BMI that is a far more reasonable measure of a person's health than simply by weight. There are unhealthy thin people, and very healthy fat people. The weight to muscle ratio tells us a lot more than the reading on a scale.

FYI, I am 65 years old and obese by medical standards. I have been treated like crap by doctors for years, although when I found docs who are not fat shamers, I have been found to be very healthy by every measure except my weight. I have have twice passed pre-surgery screening for a genetic condition with flying colors, and I have no health issues at the moment, after getting myself off of blood pressure medication with diet, supplementation and exercise. I am probably stronger than most "thin" people my age. I use quotes for the word "thin" because there is such a thing as a fat thin person. That would be a person whose weight is considered to be in the normal or low range, but whose body fat percentage is too high nevertheless. We all know some of these flabby skinny people. Go scream at them, because they are about to cost you money.

All disease that is blamed on obesity is more accurately blamed on poor nutrition and lack of muscle. You cannot see those conditions in everyone, and you can't always be sure that a fat person does not eat nutritious food or exercise. I belong to a gym and exercise there regularly. I eat and exercise to suit my personal needs, not anyone else's mindless prejudices or notions of beauty.

Time to give up on this hate campaign against fat people, especially by those who are waging it against themselves. Self-loathing is a good way to destroy your adrenal system and thereby cause weight gain and other serious problems. So is being treated like a filthy pariah by angry hate filled people who more than likely have far worse health problems and behaviors than the fat person they are hating on. My body is none of your business. If you are worried about your health insurance rates and costs that are incurred by society due to behavior, take it up with daredevils, athletes, adventurers, drug addicts, hoarders who live in filth, snake wrestlers, and the sexually promiscuous for starters, and stop blaming everything on excess weight. All you're doing is buying into a propaganda and extortion scheme worth billions of dollars per year for the medical and any industry that is involved in weight loss products or services. You take care of your own health, and I'll take care of mine. I pay for my own health insurance, thank you very much.

The guy in the story was just getting ready to eat the same pizza that he was criticizing a fat person for eating. Thin people do not have a magical strategy for extracting more nutrition from junk food than fat people do. He was criticizing someone for doing exactly what he was just getting ready to do. Pizza isn't a healthful eating alternative for anyone.
I'm going to disagree with you as a general rule, and say definitely there is a large link between obesity and poor health. I say that as an OT who has worked in rehab in skilled nursing for 18 years. I have seen countless people never be able to walk again after a fall and a broken hip at 63 because they are obese, because they're only allowed to put weight on one leg and they weigh too much for a single leg to hold them, or their knees are already too shot from bearing that much weight. I 63 year old of normal weight would walk in 2 days and be able to return home. The obese person is likely to have to stay long term. We have people in our facility in their 40's who are their long term care, meaning they have to live there, maybe for the next 30 years on taxpayers backs, only because they are obese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 05:32 AM

8,458 posts, read 4,472,777 times
Quote:
You should probably read some valid research and stop buying into propaganda that is spread by the medical industry and the government it controls. Have you ever seen a death certificate that lists "obesity" as the cause of death? You won't because people die of causes that are falsely blamed on obesity. Besides the fact that the medical standard for obesity was arbitrarily changed by the government in 1988 to create millions of new "obese" people, there is no valid research that demonstrates that a person's weight is the cause of other diseases or conditions that cause death. Everyone just says so, so everyone just believes it.

There is such a thing as BMI that is a far more reasonable measure of a person's health than simply by weight. There are unhealthy thin people, and very healthy fat people. The weight to muscle ratio tells us a lot more than the reading on a scale.

FYI, I am 65 years old and obese by medical standards. I have been treated like crap by doctors for years, although when I found docs who are not fat shamers, I have been found to be very healthy by every measure except my weight. I have have twice passed pre-surgery screening for a genetic condition with flying colors, and I have no health issues at the moment, after getting myself off of blood pressure medication with diet, supplementation and exercise. I am probably stronger than most "thin" people my age. I use quotes for the word "thin" because there is such a thing as a fat thin person. That would be a person whose weight is considered to be in the normal or low range, but whose body fat percentage is too high nevertheless. We all know some of these flabby skinny people. Go scream at them, because they are about to cost you money.

All disease that is blamed on obesity is more accurately blamed on poor nutrition and lack of muscle. You cannot see those conditions in everyone, and you can't always be sure that a fat person does not eat nutritious food or exercise. I belong to a gym and exercise there regularly. I eat and exercise to suit my personal needs, not anyone else's mindless prejudices or notions of beauty.

Time to give up on this hate campaign against fat people, especially by those who are waging it against themselves. Self-loathing is a good way to destroy your adrenal system and thereby cause weight gain and other serious problems. So is being treated like a filthy pariah by angry hate filled people who more than likely have far worse health problems and behaviors than the fat person they are hating on. My body is none of your business. If you are worried about your health insurance rates and costs that are incurred by society due to behavior, take it up with daredevils, athletes, adventurers, drug addicts, hoarders who live in filth, snake wrestlers, and the sexually promiscuous for starters, and stop blaming everything on excess weight. All you're doing is buying into a propaganda and extortion scheme worth billions of dollars per year for the medical and any industry that is involved in weight loss products or services. You take care of your own health, and I'll take care of mine. I pay for my own health insurance, thank you very much.

The guy in the story was just getting ready to eat the same pizza that he was criticizing a fat person for eating. Thin people do not have a magical strategy for extracting more nutrition from junk food than fat people do. He was criticizing someone for doing exactly what he was just getting ready to do. Pizza isn't a healthful eating alternative for anyone.

FYI....I am in the medical field. Most people don't even realize that their blood looks "milky" white with fat after a greasy meal. I have treated people where the excess weight of fat hampers their breathing and stresses their heart to failure. I see it on a regular basis. It is not propaganda as you cal it but a reality. Every person is different. There are no doubt some individuals that could be considered over weight that live long healthy lives. The truth is obesity is the underlying cause for a multitude of health issues even though it may not be listed as the cause of death. If someone is DUI and crashes a car into a wall the cause of death is trauma. Or is it?

A big part of the issue is so many people are obease, in denial and refusing to face the issue simply because it's easier to stuff their face than it is to exercise. They are ready and willing to side step, say "it's not me", it's my thyroid, or I'm over weight but I still beautiful and healthy instead of facing the simple fact they are not living a healthy life style.

Old 06-16-2015, 06:52 AM

2,508 posts, read 2,200,757 times
OK, I get it. Being obese is unhealthy in most cases.

That being said, that doesn't give people a pass to make fun of obese people or to make comments on their food. Anyone should be able to go anywhere & eat whatever they want without hearing any kind of comments. And, someone making a comment about someone else's weight & their food isn't going to make the obese person stop eating, so what good has this done? The insulting person has just made someone feel bad for no good reason.

The guy that got beaten up because of his comment deserved it - it sounds like he got off easy. He'll obviously think twice before making any more comments like that - a-hole.

I mentioned earlier that I'm attracted to obese women. One of the incidents that really ticked me off was when I was on a date with my then-girlfriend, who was a large BBW: When we were waiting in line for a movie ticket, a woman (also in line) looked over at us both for a long time, very disapprovingly - obviously this was because I'm a tall, skinny guy with a much shorter, obese woman. In any case, I was irritated by this - the woman should have just minded her own business....I'll date whoever the he$$ I want...

Old 06-16-2015, 07:50 AM

564 posts, read 754,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
She should have said, " I'm fat, I can diet, not much you can do about being so ugly".
And that's why being fat is worse than being ugly, or extremely short or tall, or deformed, or something like that, because you are born like that and can't control those things, but you can control fat. If you're fat it's your own fault.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 AM

79,553 posts, read 61,763,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm going to disagree with you as a general rule, and say definitely there is a large link between obesity and poor health. I say that as an OT who has worked in rehab in skilled nursing for 18 years. I have seen countless people never be able to walk again after a fall and a broken hip at 63 because they are obese, because they're only allowed to put weight on one leg and they weigh too much for a single leg to hold them, or their knees are already too shot from bearing that much weight. I 63 year old of normal weight would walk in 2 days and be able to return home. The obese person is likely to have to stay long term. We have people in our facility in their 40's who are their long term care, meaning they have to live there, maybe for the next 30 years on taxpayers backs, only because they are obese.
Yep. My sibling has worked decades as a Physical Therapist and she gets people in like this all the time.

She was describing one guy similar to what you described and I asked her how long he'd live and she said maybe 2 years or so after the accident because he'd just sit there and get fatter, get "bed sores" and not take care of stuff etc.

Please note, I really don't give a crap if someone is fat, smoking etc. it's not my concern unless it's me or one of my loved ones.

"Fat shaming" is really just people being a-holes to fat people. Like the guy in the story, if he felt he could get away with it he'd talk crap to someone with a screaming baby, or special needs kid or a bald guy or ethnicity or a super skinny dude etc.

Those people will just pick anything like it's a rap battle or something and go after whatever stands out.

P.S. The one thing you are missing in your commentary is that even the very healthy live a long time on the taxpayers back as they're the ones that wind up being 95 and collecting social security and medicare etc. as well. Ironically, the group that impacts society the least from that standpoint is smokers as they tend to have a lot of productive years and then die before getting much into retirement.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:20 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,570,833 times
Quote:
You should probably read some valid research and stop buying into propaganda that is spread by the medical industry and the government it controls. Have you ever seen a death certificate that lists "obesity" as the cause of death? You won't because people die of causes that are falsely blamed on obesity.
'Obesity' isn't a cause of death on death certificates because the condition[s] created or exacerbated by obesity is the cause. Not everyone who's obese develops health problems, nor does everyone who smokes or was exposed to asbestos becomes ill from those risks.

Best of luck to you and other fat priders.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 AM

632 posts, read 760,356 times
While it's true that obesity can shorten one's life, so can running your rude mouth where it's unwanted and unwelcome. No sympathy here for the guy who got his just reward...... and perhaps a little bit of needed education.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:43 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,359,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchupuata View Post
And that's why being fat is worse than being ugly, or extremely short or tall, or deformed, or something like that, because you are born like that and can't control those things, but you can control fat. If you're fat it's your own fault.
Not always. There are plenty of medical conditions that can cause a person to have significant weight gain regardless of their diet/exercise routine. As well as psychological conditions like eating disorders.

Looking at someone's body and making assumptions about their health is ridiculous. Unless you are that person you have no clue why they have the body size they do.

Most importantly why do people care? What effect does a at to late stranger who is overweight have on you that could ever justify shaming someone for their weight.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:01 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,353,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
He'll know better than to insult someone in public over their looks next time.

Fat-Shaming Man Gets Punched In The Head At Bay Area Pizza Parlor: SFist

Where are those defending his freedom of speech?

Old 06-16-2015, 09:23 AM

9,153 posts, read 9,596,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Where are those defending his freedom of speech?
Read the thread! There are several earlier posts to that effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events