Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 06:14 AM

10,409 posts, read 8,114,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I DO understand that, again I am not on this guy's side...so are you saying your own personal code of conduct is that malleable that your actions depend on everyone else behaving well? If so, it's not much of a personal code of conduct.
My personal code of conduct does not demand that I be a doormat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 06:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,054,347 times
Quote:
No, but my point was that it is still seen as okay to shame smokers, but somehow people get much more offended when it's overweight people getting shamed than other groups, not sure why. I do not think personally anyone should be shamed about anything, especially because it just doesn't work in the slightest to change people's behavior...but so many here are so gleeful at the man getting attacked for it, that;s what I don't get. Should he have done it? No.

But you guys, as adults, do you actually go around with this attitude, that you'll punch out a stranger who insults you or offends you? I don't know many adults who act like this, that's all.

It really does take a lot to get me to start swinging. 9 times out of 10, I'll let the other person make the first move. Words are words, HOWEVER.... if you put your hands on me, THEN we have a problem.

Old 06-17-2015, 06:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,054,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
A truly civilized society no more condones verbal abuse than it does physical abuse. I think that's the point you are missing. The fact that we have so many rude jerks running around who think it's perfectly fine to heap insults on random strangers shows we are NOT in fact civilized.

I think part of it is too many people watch that reality tv crap, and try to emulate in real life!

Old 06-17-2015, 06:45 AM

2,269 posts, read 3,826,529 times
The crowbar was a bit much, however, there are few people that a man is going to be more ready to defend than his mom. A stranger insulting your mom to her face is going to get the blood boiling.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 AM

279 posts, read 464,917 times
Quote:
She's worse IMO than he is...a crowbar?? Really?? You're going to maybe kill someone for a verbal insult?? Something is seriously wrong with our society.

Well maybe you shouldn't insult random people. That's what's wrong with society. People don't respect boundaries. They think they can just say and do anything to anyone. And the woman had her son with her - can you imagine how embarrassed she must've felt to have some random guy making fun of her while she's out enjoying pizza with her son?

He deserved to get whacked with the crowbar if you ask me.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:08 AM

10,409 posts, read 8,114,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I think most of us would be so flabbergasted by this behavior that we'd be shocked into silence and think up about ten great reactions later.
Yep, and that's exactly the response people like this 50 year old jerk are counting on. That's precisely the reason he felt free to say what he did. He no doubt thought the woman and her son would flee the restaurant, or ignore him, or at worst perhaps say a sharp word in response. So why not indulge himself and be an a-hole?

He'd never for one minute have even CONSIDERED acting so rudely if he'd thought he might face a real, personally painful consequence to himself as a result of his smart-a$$ remark.

That's what ocnjgirl doesn't seem to understand. Most people are civilized enough that they hold their tongue around strangers because they have no desire to inflict gratuitous emotional pain on a person they don't even know. But bullies AREN"T civilized, and when a grown person is conducting himself like a five year old, sometimes a playground-level response is exactly what's needed to push them back in line.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 AM

89,193 posts, read 85,948,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
WELL, it IS true. If you're severely overweight, you need to lay off the pizza. Having said that, the guy sounds like a young ****. Personally I wouldn't have said anything, but yes everyone knows it isn't healthy.

If you want to ruin your health and kill yourself prematurely by being obese and still ordering pizza, then go ahead. I won't try to stop ya.

Her grabbing a crowbar was just self-hate. She knows what he said was true, that's why she got so enraged. Underlying psychological cause of her extreme reaction.
Pizza in and of itself isn't a bad thing to eat. 400 calories, give or take, bread, cheese, tomato, some olive oil. It's the quantity one is eating that's the problem. A slice or two is fine within your calorie needs. The entire pizza? Not a good idea.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:58 AM

13,774 posts, read 12,632,950 times
I view this whole situation similarly to someone that leaves their bike unlocked in a busy city, or leaves their car running with the keys in it somewhere where you shouldn't. When the car/bike gets stolen, its still a theft, but I really don't have much if any sympathy for the victim.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 AM

51,602 posts, read 37,339,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
My personal code of conduct does not demand that I be a doormat.
Ok, well mine is little higher than that.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:33 AM

18,013 posts, read 15,744,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
Well maybe you shouldn't insult random people. That's what's wrong with society. People don't respect boundaries. They think they can just say and do anything to anyone. And the woman had her son with her - can you imagine how embarrassed she must've felt to have some random guy making fun of her while she's out enjoying pizza with her son?

He deserved to get whacked with the crowbar if you ask me.
Lol. Deserved it? Needed it, even. BUT..(big but..no pun intended) , needed and deserving of, the Law doth not recognize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events