Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 03:21 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,538 times

Advertisements

The man was a first class jerk and idiot. You don't have any clue in today's world what kind of people you may mouth off to and he might think twice before he so freely opens his arrogant pie hole again. He should be grateful the son didn't have a gun.

As far as the crowbar... I agree with the poster that said maybe she just wanted to scare him with it.

Quite frankly, I'm happy that her son stood up to the butthole and maybe he knocked some sense into the idiot's brain. Being that he was treated and released, he's lucky it wasn't worse.

I used to carry a lead pipe in my car because I lived in an area that wasn't very nice. It was there for my protection at my husband's request and I would have used it if need be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 03:23 PM

9,471 posts, read 10,808,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My grandmother used to do this, but she didn't realize she was doing it. She was very hard of hearing, and I'd take her to the diner and she'd say "Look at that woman over there eating that cake, she doesn't need that cake!"...she thought she was whispering but she said it loudly. I'd say "Nanny, shhhh" and she'd shout "She can't hear me!!"

A great many old people are like that. I think some folks reach a certain age where they think all the young whipper snappers should respect them for their age and feel their age entitles them to say anything they want about whoever they want. Most people ignore it from old people because we all have grandparents and parents who have ended up like this. However the 50 year old guy might have got what he deserved when he got punched in the face. The crowbar is a bit much however.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:27 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,057,956 times
eating a salad and keeping my opinion to myself.

Old 06-15-2015, 03:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Never, ever get in between a fat person and their pizza ! It can get REAL ugly when they are hungry !

Glad the loudmouth got his butt kicked.

Don

Old 06-15-2015, 03:53 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriBee62 View Post
He's lucky this wasn't Florida or he would have been shot.
She's lucky she wasn't shot swinging that crowbar. That is stand your ground.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:31 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Cigarette smoke stinks I don't like it when someone lights up around me but I would never shame them I just step away far enough for them to know I don't like it I'm sure they get the hint.
When I smoked (I quit about 4 months ago now) people would say all kinds of rude things to smokers even when we weren't smoking. It'd come up in discussion, or some stranger at a bar would see my pack, and think nothing of saying "Ewwww, that's disgusting!" Yet it's also disgusting to me when I see an obese person loading his plate at Old Country like a pig at a trough, but if I said "Ewwww, that's disgusting!" it would be seen very differently. As it was, no one batted an eye, smokers are somehow seen as fair game for derision.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
A great many old people are like that. I think some folks reach a certain age where they think all the young whipper snappers should respect them for their age and feel their age entitles them to say anything they want about whoever they want. Most people ignore it from old people because we all have grandparents and parents who have ended up like this. However the 50 year old guy might have got what he deserved when he got punched in the face. The crowbar is a bit much however.
No, my Nanny was sweet as pie, she really thought she was whispering. She would have been mortified if she really knew the person heard her.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:10 PM

106 posts, read 159,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Unfortunately being overweight is as big a health issue, maybe bigger, than smoking ever was. If two people came into a restaurant smoking and some one told them they shouldn't be smoking, well .. you get the point.

Obese people are costing billions in excess health care. Billions that you and I pay for in taxes and insurance rates.
You should probably read some valid research and stop buying into propaganda that is spread by the medical industry and the government it controls. Have you ever seen a death certificate that lists "obesity" as the cause of death? You won't because people die of causes that are falsely blamed on obesity. Besides the fact that the medical standard for obesity was arbitrarily changed by the government in 1988 to create millions of new "obese" people, there is no valid research that demonstrates that a person's weight is the cause of other diseases or conditions that cause death. Everyone just says so, so everyone just believes it.

There is such a thing as BMI that is a far more reasonable measure of a person's health than simply by weight. There are unhealthy thin people, and very healthy fat people. The weight to muscle ratio tells us a lot more than the reading on a scale.

FYI, I am 65 years old and obese by medical standards. I have been treated like crap by doctors for years, although when I found docs who are not fat shamers, I have been found to be very healthy by every measure except my weight. I have have twice passed pre-surgery screening for a genetic condition with flying colors, and I have no health issues at the moment, after getting myself off of blood pressure medication with diet, supplementation and exercise. I am probably stronger than most "thin" people my age. I use quotes for the word "thin" because there is such a thing as a fat thin person. That would be a person whose weight is considered to be in the normal or low range, but whose body fat percentage is too high nevertheless. We all know some of these flabby skinny people. Go scream at them, because they are about to cost you money.

All disease that is blamed on obesity is more accurately blamed on poor nutrition and lack of muscle. You cannot see those conditions in everyone, and you can't always be sure that a fat person does not eat nutritious food or exercise. I belong to a gym and exercise there regularly. I eat and exercise to suit my personal needs, not anyone else's mindless prejudices or notions of beauty.

Time to give up on this hate campaign against fat people, especially by those who are waging it against themselves. Self-loathing is a good way to destroy your adrenal system and thereby cause weight gain and other serious problems. So is being treated like a filthy pariah by angry hate filled people who more than likely have far worse health problems and behaviors than the fat person they are hating on. My body is none of your business. If you are worried about your health insurance rates and costs that are incurred by society due to behavior, take it up with daredevils, athletes, adventurers, drug addicts, hoarders who live in filth, snake wrestlers, and the sexually promiscuous for starters, and stop blaming everything on excess weight. All you're doing is buying into a propaganda and extortion scheme worth billions of dollars per year for the medical and any industry that is involved in weight loss products or services. You take care of your own health, and I'll take care of mine. I pay for my own health insurance, thank you very much.

The guy in the story was just getting ready to eat the same pizza that he was criticizing a fat person for eating. Thin people do not have a magical strategy for extracting more nutrition from junk food than fat people do. He was criticizing someone for doing exactly what he was just getting ready to do. Pizza isn't a healthful eating alternative for anyone.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:11 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times
Oh, lovely. Combating ignorance with violence. No winners in this story.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:17 PM

106 posts, read 159,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
eating a salad and keeping my opinion to myself.
Hahaha! Even though salads can be extremely high in calories and fat!

Which raises another issue. Who is the expert on what fat people should be eating? Based on my experience, fat haters don't think fat people should eat anything. But starvation is known to be the worst and least effective way to lose weight.

Nothing personal in this to you, Flower! I just took advantage of your cute post to vent! Hope you don't mind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events