Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2014, 11:01 AM

240 posts, read 252,251 times

Advertisements

I'm not surprised by the verdict. There was no evidence against Wilson. There was no reason to send him to trial. The prosecuting attorney knew he had no case, so he didn't want the grand jury voting to send it there.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:02 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,116,302 times
I worked in a factory for 4 years where both races got along with each other for the most part. But when it came to racism, there were just as many racist blacks as racist whites.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:15 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,410,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
I think the change needs to be: instead of reaching for a gun reach for a tazer or mace. Just my two cents.

All these people dying by police fire and it could have been avoided with the simple use of non-lethal weapons, such as mace.
If you even read the jury documents, you would see why Wilson did not use mace or reach for his taser (he did not have a taser).

Deadly force is used when there is a deadly force situation, grabbing a gun in an attempt to get it from the cop is a deadly force situation, this is standard in all law enforcement and the military.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:18 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Well I have to say that I find that really odd. I don't know a SINGLE white person that does NOT speak out against them. I mean really, I don't.

I find that odd. I know of SEVERAL whites that sit back and say nothing when the KKK is brought up. They go silent. Again, that is just my experience. But that doesn't mean that all white people agree with the KKK.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:19 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,634,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
I have seen several blacks disagree with them in the media...especially on Fox News. But again even if you didn't you still can't ASSume that the entire race supports them. It's prejudiced to do so.

And that is the entire point.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:35 AM

520 posts, read 869,187 times
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204325511367677

THIS GUY MAKES ALLOT OF SENSE

Last edited by dave w; 11-29-2014 at 11:47 AM..

Old 11-29-2014, 11:43 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,559,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Well, I suppose it was too much to expect actual understanding and discussion from this board.

Changes: Body cams/dash cams for all police officers (would have been very helpful in this case), police officers interacting with and representing the communities they police, proper training of officers to deal with unarmed threats, changes in the way officers are investigated and disciplined when they kill someone in the line of duty, just to name a few.
I'll bite.
I was listening to the Brown family attorney call for some of the same changes you noted. Additionally he called for what I would have to assume would amount to circumventing the law as well. Cameras are the go to solution yet many fail to realize the finite capacity of cameras. For instance dash cams will only record what is directly in the field of view and the rest would have to rely on the audio. Body cams can be rendered incapacitated during a scuffle.

At this point I assume when the officer drove up to Brown and made the request that he had no idea Brown was going to attack. According to the testimony the officer was unaware Brown had just robbed a store. Brown's guilt got the best of him and he wound up dead.
Going back to the attorney, he stated the "secrecy" of the grand jury procedures need to be changed. I disagree with this because evidence and testimony should be presented in a controlled environment void of outside perception. Grand juries operate in similar fashion in my home county.

The real problem here is the people that are doing the whining. They perceive the implementation of cameras and such will prove to the world that they are being victimized which, is what they want the world to believe. However, as the PD where I live has demonstrated with video evidence, the majority of the abuse & violation claims are dismissed due to the actions of the suspect.
So what will these self proclaimed victimized people do when, upon the completion of an investigation, the videos become public and clearly exonerate the officer from any wrong doing? Look like fools to the rest of the world. Because at that point when they loot and destroy property that has nothing to do with the cause the rest of the nation will get behind law enforcement.

Many states have laws that allow a person to use deadly force in a case where they fear for their life even if the attacker is unarmed. A police officer should have that same right and I don't get where society thinks otherwise.

My opinion.

Old 11-29-2014, 11:49 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,187,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Hopefully, they keep Wilson on the force and place him in a WHITE SUBURB where he won't see "hulking, raging, grunting demons" that will attack him just for asking a question anywhere.
Wilson needs to leave town.change his name and find another line of work. To not do this would endanger himself and those close to him.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:16 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
They are simply angry and not focused. They actually don't know what they want. They want an end to unfair treatment it seems to be at the heart of it, but they selected the wrong poster-child to be an example of unfair treatment. So now they get in the way of Black Friday, which is going to do nothing for them. Just more arrests.

If they really wanted to do something, they could start with getting everyone they know registered to vote. Then support a candidate from amongst them that can have the change they desire. But this is unlikely to occur because it's easier to jump up on a police car and command the crowd to burn it down, and then spend the rest of their lives complaining about how things are unfair. It takes thought and work to do something useful within the system.

But at the end of the day, if they think they are going to prevent the situation like the next Michael Brown, then they are going to have to start at the root cause of the problem. They are going to have to address the bad parenting. As I said, it's much easier to jump up on a car and shout out to burn it down than to work within the system for the things you want, but you have to actually known what those things are to begin with.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:19 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
Voting changes absolutely nothing. Who gets to make up these voting districts?? If you want change, you have to take action and protest to get it. You have to make the people in power feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. That is how our country was founded.
Protesting does nothing, just more arrests. Voting changes everything, but you have to work with the system and become educated in it. It's too easy to sit there and complain about it expecting someone else to do something about it. It's your town, do something to improve it. As for being embarrassed, the only people to feel embarrassed are those who did the protests, destroyed and robbed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events