Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2014, 10:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
It's still dumb to make a post like this either way.

There is this mindset that all blacks think as ONE on this forum.

I don't know where it came from or why people believe it to be so, but they do.

It's 2014 and the more things change, the more they're still the same. smh
I feel kinda bad for OP. I don't think she meant any offense. I think she just worded her post poorly.

Maybe she should have worded it as. " African Americans, what do YOU think....."

Old 11-28-2014, 10:49 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,755,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
The snark is really unnecessary. I questioned why the protesters weren't doing specific things. Here, I'll make it easy:

Why aren't the protesters:
1. Picketing the Ferguson Police Department?
2. Staging sit-ins at the Ferguson Mayor's office? Or at the office of the Mayor of St. Louis?
3. Bombarding their legislators for changes in the law?

Those are my questions. Do you have an answer for why the protesters aren't using their momentum and doing these things which might result in actual change?
It's not snark moonbeam, as a matter of fact other posters asked the same question. And that is just what do you believe the protestors want to change? As for me I have no idea. I base that statement on the fact that DW did exactly what he was supposed to do, and MB ended up just where he was supposed to end up. No change necessary.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:51 PM

779 posts, read 632,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

what about the black man that pushed the asian man into the subway, we didn't see the asians rioting and setting fire and destoying thier neighborhoods.

why is that???
That was a sad event. Who would they protest? Mentally ill black men? Psych wards that don't spot violent offenders when they are locked up for treatment?

Old 11-28-2014, 11:15 PM

23,627 posts, read 12,553,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
At least 12 eye witnesses testified that Michael Brown had his hands up when fired upon.

The chart posted at the link below summarizes witness testimony:

What do the newly released witness statements tell us about the Michael Brown shooting? | PBS NewsHour
The majority of eyewitnesses are usually unreliable - not because they are all lying, they just see/hear it differently than others (and yeah, some lie).

Quote:
The DNA revolution that began in the late 1980s has dramatically demonstrated how utterly unreliable eyewitness identifications are. About 200 people convicted of violent crimes have been exonerated by DNA evidence in the past two decades. About 80 percent have been the victims of eyewitness misidentification.
Eyewitness Testimony Doesn't Make It True--A Commentary by Steven B. Duke | Yale Law School

80% were sent to prison because of faulty eyewitnesses - that's a massive amount of innocent people who were wrongfully incarcerated for something they didn't do, simply based on what one or more eyewitnesses had to say instead of by hard evidence.

Even the young man that was with Brown was wrong in a lot of his re-telling of what happened. I'm not saying that he was lying, I truly think it's what he thought he saw. Often when things happen there are gaps in understanding exactly what happened, the mind automatically fills in those gaps, rightly or wrongly. Also, someone who may have been almost correctly seeing what happened may often dismiss what they think they saw after hearing what the others have to say, or after reading about it in the media, etc.

Another good read regarding the research of eyewitnesses memories..
The Problem With Eyewitness Testimony

Old 11-28-2014, 11:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,281,778 times
One change they definitely need is to start applying to the job postings it the police department. How is it that in an all black town, you have almost all white police?

Old 11-28-2014, 11:51 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,345,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
One change they definitely need is to start applying to the job postings it the police department. How is it that in an all black town, you have almost all white police?
The town isn't "all black", in fact it was majority white until recently. You want them to now fire everyone because of the color of their skin?

And the police positions aren't limited to city residents. The police force racial composition reflects that of the greater St. Louis metro, so I don't see the problem.

And it isn't like a black police force will have fewer of such incidents. The most corrupt and violent big city police forces are in New Orleans and Detroit, and both are mostly black police forces. There is no reason to think that police behavior is correlated with racial background.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:54 PM

100 posts, read 101,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I am not commenting on the events that preceded the protests, nor commenting on the guilt/innocence of either party. I live on the Illinois side of the Mississippi and have been following the whole story with interest and concern.

I understand that the marches, attempts to block traffic, protesting inside the Galleria (happened today) keeps the momentum going and keeps the media involved. But here is my question, and it is genuine - if the protesters want genuine change, why aren't they marching on the Ferguson police station and picketing there? Doing 24/7 sit-ins in the mayor's office? Not just the mayor of Ferguson, but the mayor of STL too. Bombarding their legislators with demands for changes in laws? If these groups - nationwide - want change, that's the only way it will happen.
I actually agree with you. Based our history, you have to eff things up and basically riot to get the changes you want in society (i.e. Boston Tea Party) but you have to bring the poop to the right doorsteps.

Old 11-28-2014, 11:57 PM

100 posts, read 101,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
To want change, you first have to actually point out what change needs to be made, and what to.

What change do they want? Who do they represent?

There are avenues for change, like voting, how many are registered to vote and actually go vote?
Voting changes absolutely nothing. Who gets to make up these voting districts?? If you want change, you have to take action and protest to get it. You have to make the people in power feel embarrassed and uncomfortable. That is how our country was founded.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:27 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_DC View Post
That was a sad event. Who would they protest? Mentally ill black men? Psych wards that don't spot violent offenders when they are locked up for treatment?
Ignore him, all he does is troll the NYC threads with racist generalizations.

Old 11-29-2014, 12:30 AM

779 posts, read 632,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Ignore him, all he does is troll the NYC threads with racist generalizations.

Noted. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events