Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 10:23 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times

Advertisements

Trying to help my girlfriend out. She has a 46" Sony Bravia KDL series TV that is about four or five years old and out of nowhere the TV will not turn on. I have checked all of the power cords, unplugged and replugged the cords, double checked the circuit breaker and still no power. There are no lights flashing, just plain dead. The TV was working fine 12 hours ago.

Is it time for a new TV already or can these things be fixed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2013, 11:11 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Maybe a blown fuse or capacitor inside ... of course it can be fixed, for a price.
Google your TV model number and there maybe a repair video for it if you dare to diy.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:54 AM

I've looked it up online, looks like a fairly common problem among Sony's. Signs point to blown power module. Have a call into a repair shop to see what the damage will be.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:02 PM

It's not hard to replace the module (it's just a circuit board):

Sony 1-474-163-41 Power Supply Unit (PSU) Boards Replacement Guide for Sony LCD TV Repair - YouTube

Old 12-17-2013, 12:35 PM

I'm all thumbs and don't want to be responsible for screwing it up. Looks like an easy repair, so hope it's good news from the repairman.

Old 12-17-2013, 12:53 PM

You can use a screw driver, can't you? That's all this will need once you ordered the right part.
The gf doesn't need to know that it was simple and you can earn lots of man-points from her by simply pretending it was hard to figure out ... just hem and haw alot while taking apart the TV and point out make-believe components to her: "Ah, there's the fluidic capacitron which sends a signal to the loader. Now it's making sense!"

Old 12-19-2013, 11:37 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You can use a screw driver, can't you? That's all this will need once you ordered the right part.
The gf doesn't need to know that it was simple and you can earn lots of man-points from her by simply pretending it was hard to figure out ... just hem and haw alot while taking apart the TV and point out make-believe components to her: "Ah, there's the fluidic capacitron which sends a signal to the loader. Now it's making sense!"
If the TV is under any kind of warranty, I wouldn't recommend cracking it open yourself. Assuming it's not, then my desire to do a repair like that would be based on how willing I was to replace the TV if I messed it up. If the TV was four years old and you were thinking about upgrading anyway and it had this problem, then yeah, take a crack at it. If not, it's probably better left to the "experts" if you're not comfortable.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
If the TV is under any kind of warranty, I wouldn't recommend cracking it open yourself. Assuming it's not, then my desire to do a repair like that would be based on how willing I was to replace the TV if I messed it up. If the TV was four years old and you were thinking about upgrading anyway and it had this problem, then yeah, take a crack at it. If not, it's probably better left to the "experts" if you're not comfortable.
With the speed at which technology improves, 4-5 years seems to be a decent longevity for a TV. I would bet that a repairman will charge you close to $100 just to diagnose the problem, then parts and labor to fix it. I'm sure you will find the same size TV with better features is a lot less than was paid for it initially. Just don't consider Westinghouse, their 46" TVs did this after 2 weeks-1 year, due to faulty Chinese workmanship soldering the power supply which would short and destroy the whole TV.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 PM

For $100 had the repair guy come over and take a look at it. Was a faulty resistor of some sort, so he pulled it out and soldered in a new one. Lot cheaper than buying a new one. What was most surprising is finding out that there are still TV repairmen out there and that they make house calls.

Old 01-01-2015, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 25,251 times
My 60 inch Bravia wont turn on. When I hit the power button the red light goes out and the green doesn't come on as it normally should. (no lights at all) It doesn't matter if I hit the power button on the tv or the remote, nothing happens and the tv wont start.
HOWEVER, I have discovered that if i turn it off at the wall, wait 5 mins then turn it back on at the wall the tv will come to life as it normally should. If I turn it off with the remote and then back on after a matter of seconds it will be fine but if I turn it off for more than a few minutes the problem returns and I have to turn off at the wall and wait 5 again.
So I can work around this problem but it's annoying having to go behind the tv to the "hard to reach" socket every time I want to watch tv.
Does anyone know what's going on here and if it's expensive to fix. I'd like to avoid having to lug this huge tv around to the repair shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics