Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 06:11 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone has had this problem. My Sony Bravia (42" about 4 yrs. old) has recently started with the sound going off for maybe a minute or so, then it comes back on. At first I thought it was the channel, but it does it on any channel, so that was ruled out. It hasn't had a lot of use because it was always a bedroom TV, but now in the den and I use it more often. Hopefully there is an easy inexpensive fix for this. Any suggestions or experience with this issue? Thx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 10:39 AM

777 posts, read 1,873,199 times
Can you provide more info - Bravia model #, broadcast type (cable, satellite, over the air), if a DVR and/or HDMI cable is attached, etc? Have you checked if the set has the latest firmware??

Old 04-28-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggier View Post
Can you provide more info - Bravia model #, broadcast type (cable, satellite, over the air), if a DVR and/or HDMI cable is attached, etc? Have you checked if the set has the latest firmware??

Oh goodness, I don't know the answers to all that. What is "firmware"? It is hooked up to the local cable co.; no DVR is attached; there is an HDMI cable attached. Sorry don't know the model and cannot lift it to see if it's on the back of the set. All connections are secure, it doesn't do it all the time, intermittently and more noticeable if the TV has been on for most of the day. I dunno .... just a dumb blonde at this point. But I definitely appreciate your help.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Turn the TV around and give us the model# so we can look up the pdf for the manual.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Turn the TV around and give us the model# so we can look up the pdf for the manual.

Ok, got it: KDL 26M4000

Thank you !

Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM

http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL26M4000.pdf

On the side of your TV is a headphone jack(page 12). Remove the speakers (they need to be powered by an electrical adapter) from your computer system and plug them in to this spot and turn them on. Report back to us the results and if the problem still exists thru the computer speakers.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/KDL26M4000.pdf

On the side of your TV is a headphone jack(page 12). Remove the speakers (they need to be powered by an electrical adapter) from your computer system and plug them in to this spot and turn them on. Report back to us the results and if the problem still exists thru the computer speakers.

Pruz, there is nothing plugged in to any of those spots and nothing else hooked up to this particular tv. I don't have any speakers attached, and no computer speakers etc. The only item plugged in is the DVD player and that is shut off, not even on "standby" etc. I have two other Sony Bravias, larger in size, and never a problem.

Will leave the tv on most of today and see if it happens again. Otherwise, scratching my head. Thank you.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Pruz, there is nothing plugged in to any of those spots and nothing else hooked up to this particular tv. I don't have any speakers attached, and no computer speakers etc. The only item plugged in is the DVD player and that is shut off, not even on "standby" etc. I have two other Sony Bravias, larger in size, and never a problem.

Will leave the tv on most of today and see if it happens again. Otherwise, scratching my head. Thank you.

It doesn't matter what you currently have plugged in. We need to find out if the speakers built in to the TV are blown or the sound board inside the TV is blown. The easiest way to test this is by plugging computer speakers or headphones into that hole a see if the problem continues. When an item is plugged into that hole, the internal speakers are shut off.

An alternative way to test the TV, page 12 #7 in manual, is to run RCA cables from the TV to a Stereo receiver and test the sound that way. The TV sound would need to be set to "0" and the volume on the receiver should be set to a comfortable audible setting.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what you currently have plugged in. We need to find out if the speakers built in to the TV are blown or the sound board inside the TV is blown. The easiest way to test this is by plugging computer speakers or headphones into that hole a see if the problem continues. When an item is plugged into that hole, the internal speakers are shut off.

An alternative way to test the TV, page 12 #7 in manual, is to run RCA cables from the TV to a Stereo receiver and test the sound that way. The TV sound would need to be set to "0" and the volume on the receiver should be set to a comfortable audible setting.

Oh, I see, yes thank you. Will look around for some headphones or similar or try to borrow from a neighbor. I have a laptop, built in speakers. And I don't have a stereo system anymore since I got the Bose radio. (You know now what you're dealing with here, a fairly non-tech lady. )

Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Oh, I see, yes thank you. Will look around for some headphones or similar or try to borrow from a neighbor. I have a laptop, built in speakers. And I don't have a stereo system anymore since I got the Bose radio. (You know now what you're dealing with here, a fairly non-tech lady. )

No one has headphones, and TV is shut off for today anyhow. Will follow up more on this tomorrow. Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics