Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2012, 10:50 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,415 times

Advertisements

I have a Sony STR-DE895 receiver, which is at least 12 years old. I recently got a Blu-ray player. I have the player connected to the TV via. HDMI. The sound is passed from the TV to the receiver via. an optical cable, since the Blu-ray player does not have it's own digital audio connector. My cable box and Roku also pass the sound through the TV in an identical manner, and the sound for both of these devices are working fine. However, I get no sound with the Blu-ray player. I do get a picture, and there is a red light emitting from the fiber cable when it's unplugged. I had this problem when I first got the player, and resolved it somehow by tinkering with the settings on the receiver. However, the problem re-occurred recently, and I cannot get sound from the Blu-ray player, despite an hour or so of tinkering with the settings. I even did a factory reset for the player, but to no avail. I have a DVD player that is connected directly to the receiver with a digital coax cable. Sound works fine with the DVD player.

Any ideas? The receiver does have a DTS decoder. Is is possible that the decoder has become defective (assuming that the Roku and the Cable Box are using some other standard?) A new receiver is on my wish list, and I may resort to using stereo RCA connectors in the interim. I just want to see if I can somehow continue to decode surround sound from the Blu-ray player with my current setup.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 08:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
As a test can you connect the Blu-ray to one of the connectors that you know is working to see if the sound comes through? I'm by no means a wizard with this stuff, but that's the type of test I would use for a computer connection problem.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I doubt this has anything to do with your receiver.

Can you get sound from the TV speakers if you turn them on? I assume you have your TV set for "internal speakers off" because you use the receiver. Turn the speakers back on and see if you get sound from the TV.

I think the odds are that the Blu-ray player is currently set in some way that it either is not sending audio via HDMI or it is sending an audio signal your receiver can't process. Double check the blu-ray player's audio settings. You will probably want a PCM audio stream and make sure the audio is sent via HDMI.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:46 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
It's almost certainly a setting somewhere. Audio outputs of the Bluray player most likely, assuming your receiver stays on the same input to receive the audio signal from your TV.

What Bluray player do you have?

It's surprising that since you're a self-professed A/V snob that you're using such an antiquated receiver and overall setup.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 05-29-2012 at 10:03 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 09:58 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Might be an HDCP issue. Try a different disc.

If that doesn't work if you can connect the blu ray player directly to the receiver with the optical cable and try both the blu ray disc that won't work and a regular CD.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It's almost certainly a setting somewhere. Audio outputs of the Bluray player most likely, assuming your receiver stays on the same input to receive the audio signal from your TV.

What Bluray player do you have?

It's surprising that since you're a self-professed A/V snob that you're using such an antiquated receiver and overall setup.
The player is a Samsung DMP-DB75P-K.

The receiver is, by far, the most antiquated piece of equipment in my setup. It has worked fine, until this problem cropped up. It will be replaced as soon as possible.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
As a test can you connect the Blu-ray to one of the connectors that you know is working to see if the sound comes through? I'm by no means a wizard with this stuff, but that's the type of test I would use for a computer connection problem.
The cable box, Roku, and Blu-ray are all connected to the TV via. HDMI. The sound from the TV is sent to the receiver from via. a optical digital cable. The Roku and cable box both work fine; the Blu-Ray is the only one that has an issue with audio.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
The player is a Samsung DMP-DB75P-K.

The receiver is, by far, the most antiquated piece of equipment in my setup. It has worked fine, until this problem cropped up. It will be replaced as soon as possible.
Did you mean Panasonic DMP-DB75P-K?

Is that model number correct? I see very little info on it. Is it a foreign market unit?

Out of curiosity, what speakers are you using in your surround system?

Last edited by vmaxnc; 05-31-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Did you mean Panasonic DMP-DB75P-K?

Is that model number correct? I see very little info on it. Is it a foreign market unit?

Out of curiosity, what speakers are you using in your surround system?
Oops, it is indeed a panasonic (this one)

I am using these speakers.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucheGA View Post
Oops, it is indeed a panasonic (this one)

I am using these speakers.
I'll go back to what I said before about checking the settings on the Bluray player. Have you updated it's firmware? Reset it?

Years ago that speaker system was known as the Take 5 (without the sub). A coworker was demoing it using Dave Brubeck's Take 5. I walked by and said "Hey...Take 5 on the Take 5...!" The client and my coworker both got a laugh out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics