Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:12 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,528,989 times

Advertisements

We bought a Vizio TV in August of '10. The remote has been giving me problems for some time now. I called Vizio and they walk me thru steps of taking out the battery, push buttons, press q P and space bar, remove one battery...and then it works!! What the heck is this about. Talked to Costco about it today, and the guy said to get a universal remote. That will not work with Netflicks...any advise would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,781,714 times
Order a replacement remote. Google the part (mfg) number on the remote for the best price. Here's an example:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/vizio-remote-control-for-all-vizio-models-vr1vizio/212000980.html?listingId=253218305

Old 05-31-2013, 06:54 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,528,989 times
Default remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Order a replacement remote. Google the part (mfg) number on the remote for the best price. Here's an example:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/vizio-remote-control-for-all-vizio-models-vr1vizio/212000980.html?listingId=253218305

I saw this one online. Will it work with Netflicks?

Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,781,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
I saw this one online. Will it work with Netflicks?
Call Vizio and see if the mfg number is compatible with your TV.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jude1948 View Post
We bought a Vizio TV in August of '10. The remote has been giving me problems for some time now. I called Vizio and they walk me thru steps of taking out the battery, push buttons, press q P and space bar, remove one battery...and then it works!! What the heck is this about. Talked to Costco about it today, and the guy said to get a universal remote. That will not work with Netflicks...any advise would be much appreciated.
All remotes have to be programed even universal. They have a code which has to be set in the remote to control that item. Most come pre-set except for universal but they can lose the program setting often from operator error or by magic it often seems.

Last edited by texdav; 05-31-2013 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 PM

19,225 posts, read 16,733,202 times
It's not your remote. It's the IR Sensor (electronic board) inside the television. Vizio has been having major complaints about this specific problem. I have a 2010 Vizio tv, too. When I couldn't get the television to respond to my remote control, I googled the problem. That's when I found out about this ongoing problem. I read a lot about what you mentioned. i.e. changing the batteries, buying a new remote control. Don't waste your money buying a new remote. Trust me, that's not the problem.

The crazy thing is, sometimes it stops working and then, for no reason, it will start working again - just about the time I'm ready to throw a shoe at the piece of crap tv.

You can look up the model number and find the part, if you're so inclined. Frankly, televisions aren't that expensive any more so if it continues to give you trouble, do as we did back in the old days; get up walk over to the tv and change the channel, manually. j/k

Someone wrote on another site that placing a piece of tape over the sensor (on the front lower right panel of the tv) seems to fix the problem, too. Or, in the alternative, leave the television off and unplugged for few days. It may reset itself. Don't even ask me why I think this. All I know is that this has been working for me since I bought the stupid thing. When it finally dies, it's going into the dumpster and I'll never buy another Vizio tv again.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:32 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
Have 3 Vizios and know several others who do and never a problem.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:06 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,577,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Have 3 Vizios and know several others who do and never a problem.
On the other hand, add me to those who have the IR problem.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 57,466 times
my tv is suddenly having the same problem. It all started when Netflix wouldn't work. I unplugged the TV, plugged it back in checked the network connections and it seemed fine. 10 minutes later, Netflix still doesn't work but when I exited out of the menu, my remote stopped working. (fresh batteries, so that is not the issue plus my cable remote is programmed for the tv so i know the oem remote is not the issue)

The physical controls on the tv do not work either. so i cannot change the volume, turn it off or anything whatsoever. i was able to plug in my chromecast and send netflix to the tv, it changed the input and streamed a movie through the tv. the sound is very hollow coming from the tv and is stuck in a single volume setting. i have wireless headphones that have adjustable volume and they work just fine but the audio is still hollow. i am a little pissed here since this tv is probably just past the 2 year mark for manufacturer warranty servicing.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:41 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,245,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhovah View Post
my tv is suddenly having the same problem. It all started when Netflix wouldn't work. I unplugged the TV, plugged it back in checked the network connections and it seemed fine. 10 minutes later, Netflix still doesn't work but when I exited out of the menu, my remote stopped working. (fresh batteries, so that is not the issue plus my cable remote is programmed for the tv so i know the oem remote is not the issue)

The physical controls on the tv do not work either. so i cannot change the volume, turn it off or anything whatsoever. i was able to plug in my chromecast and send netflix to the tv, it changed the input and streamed a movie through the tv. the sound is very hollow coming from the tv and is stuck in a single volume setting. i have wireless headphones that have adjustable volume and they work just fine but the audio is still hollow. i am a little pissed here since this tv is probably just past the 2 year mark for manufacturer warranty servicing.
Next time post the brand and model number of the TV. Maybe someone with the same TV has had a similar problem and can help you.

Google your model number to see if that problem has been posted somewhere.

Find a forum specific to your TV and look for the problem there.

Call the place where you bought the TV.

Call the manufacturer of the TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics