Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times

Advertisements

Is there anything that can be done with a remote that one or two buttons don't work anymore? Other that buying a new remote and programing it with the TV or DVD player, is there anything that can make it work again? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Depends on the remote but for most of them if you take it apart you're going to have a rubber keypad on one side and circuit board on the other. On the back of each button should be a contact, when you press the button that makes contact with the circuit board completing the circuit. If you have debris, grime or whatever the circuit is no longer completed and the button no longer works.

Clean both the contacts and the circuit board with some rubbing alcohol.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:09 PM

Thanks, thecoalman! I am a little chicken to open it up but might give it a try. :-)

Old 05-09-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Thanks, thecoalman! I am a little chicken to open it up but might give it a try. :-)
If it's broke and you're going to end up buying another one you don't have anything lose...

Old 05-10-2013, 07:38 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Agreed.
I know this sounds crazy but you might try this, too:
Soak it for a few minutes in water. JUST water, do not use soap or anything else.
Seriously. Of course REMOVE THE BATTERIES! Let it dry. Maybe help it with a hair dryer. Make sure it is 100% dry before you put the batteries back in. Shake it vigorously, any water escaping means it is still wet.
This worked for me when my kid spilled Orange Juice on a remote. I let it dry for 3 days to be sure and hit it with a hair dryer a few times.
You just HAVE TO BE SURE it is dry before reapplying the power (putting the batteries back in).

Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 AM

Wow, Peregrine, I would never have thought of that. Thanks!!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
You might also buy a new one on ebay. Chances are good someone is selling one. Lot of remotes get orphaned when the base device dies.

Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Agreed.
I know this sounds crazy but you might try this, too:
Soak it for a few minutes in water. JUST water, do not use soap or anything else.
Seriously. Of course REMOVE THE BATTERIES! Let it dry. Maybe help it with a hair dryer. Make sure it is 100% dry before you put the batteries back in. Shake it vigorously, any water escaping means it is still wet.
This worked for me when my kid spilled Orange Juice on a remote. I let it dry for 3 days to be sure and hit it with a hair dryer a few times.
You just HAVE TO BE SURE it is dry before reapplying the power (putting the batteries back in).
This is a little crazy, but it's simple and can possibly be very effective. The is some risk of of further damage, so I would personally use this as a "last ditch" attempt.

There is a good chance that a universal remote will have pre-programmed setting for your TV, VCR, DVD player, etc. These things are pretty cheap nowadays. It's worth checking on eBay, Craigslist, etc. for an exact replacement, but the chances of finding one that's cheaper than a good universal remote is are pretty slim.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM

I have had radios get pulled out of the river before and worked after a day or two. The hazards of canoeing when you don't tie stuff down.

Old 05-13-2013, 09:39 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Listening to the radio is only for at camp in the evening, Coalman. The radio should be packed away during the day.
At least, that's how I roll... er paddle....

As far as the "water trick" causing damage, it is very unlikely. The only way it might is with older devices that have the softer PCB's (printed circuit boards) that may actually absorb some water and deform. These are not at all common anymore.
ALTHOUGH *NOTE* I DID SAY FOR JUST A FEW MINUTES. Don't soak it overnight or anything crazy like that.

The water trick works GREAT on PC Key boards. These can be soaked for a long time and since they do NOT have an electric current in them, there is just about zero risk of damaging one.

And of course NEVER submerge any device that has a screen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics