Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:22 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,883,586 times

Advertisements

I bought a Visio CoStar stream player. It does Google TV, but not Hulu Plus, and it does not appear it will ever be updated to Hulu Plus, so it won't be satisfactory for me.

But I like the heck out of its remote control. For one, it has a qwerty keyboard on the reverse, which I find nearly essential for web browsing and typing out search criteria (directional buttons drive me batty).

But this is what really impressed me: To program the device to control other equipment (the television, amplifiers, disc players, et cetera), rather than entering in series of control code numbers in hit-and-miss fashion, you enter the make and model of the equipment on that qwerty keyboard and the Visio system goes online to a database to pull the control data.

Quick, easy, done.

What was really neat to me is that I am using a old-school Technics amplifier from the 80s that is remote-capable, but the remote was an option I never bought. No other streaming system (or even any 3rd party remote control) can so much as turn the thing on.

But the Vizio had the codes for it in its online database. Here is what is cool: The Technics amplifier doesn't have a digital readout, so when I first tried the volume control with the Vizio remote, I didn't see anything happen (there was no program sound available at that moment). But I heard a soft swishing sound. I looked at the amplifier...and saw that the Vizio remote was physically turning the volume knob. Cool.

But why isn't everyone using online databases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
The remote needs a way to connect to the internet and a lot of them do. I have a logitech remote that you connect to the computer via USB to program it. You can program anything, even the ceiling fan.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The remote needs a way to connect to the internet and a lot of them do. I have a logitech remote that you connect to the computer via USB to program it. You can program anything, even the ceiling fan.
Okay, based on your clue, I'm looking at the Logitech Harmony 650. It shows support for all my gear, in stock at my local Best Buy. Sweet.

Thanks.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:29 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,267,994 times
Part of the reason is probably that system controllers are a category to themselves. Vizio went to a lot of expense to make the remote control of a $100 product operate a 30 year old receiver. Databases like the one you refer to are usually designed and maintained to program system controllers.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:13 AM

16,581 posts, read 19,785,065 times
I have the Harmony One. It's really nice.
Discontinued and replaced by a new model already, but Logitech still supports it.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Okay, based on your clue, I'm looking at the Logitech Harmony 650. It shows support for all my gear, in stock at my local Best Buy. Sweet.

Thanks.
Not sure what model I have but it's pretty cool, it operates by "activities". You hit "watch TV" and it will switch on all the devices you need for TV, switch the inputs and even go to a pre-programmed starter channel. If you are watching TV you can hit the "listen to music" and it will turn off the TV and cable box and switch the home theatre to the radio or whatever else you have it programmed to do. I have custom activity for listening to the channels over the cable box, it will turn on the home theater and the cable bocx and go to my pregrammed classic rock channel. From there I also have a bunch channels pee-programmed so I can switch to any other music channel with one button.

There is only two problems with it, it can get out sync with the devices if a signal is lost. e.g the remote thinks the TV is on and the TV is off. The other issue is the one I have uses batteries and it eats them pretty quick.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Not sure what model I have but it's pretty cool, it operates by "activities". You hit "watch TV" and it will switch on all the devices you need for TV, switch the inputs and even go to a pre-programmed starter channel. If you are watching TV you can hit the "listen to music" and it will turn off the TV and cable box and switch the home theatre to the radio or whatever else you have it programmed to do. I have custom activity for listening to the channels over the cable box, it will turn on the home theater and the cable bocx and go to my pregrammed classic rock channel. From there I also have a bunch channels pee-programmed so I can switch to any other music channel with one button.

There is only two problems with it, it can get out sync with the devices if a signal is lost. e.g the remote thinks the TV is on and the TV is off. The other issue is the one I have uses batteries and it eats them pretty quick.
It should be sending out discreet commands, like "on" and "off" instead of "power". Then it can't get out of sync. The ability to do that should be a minimum requirement for a true system controller.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It should be sending out discreet commands, like "on" and "off" instead of "power". Then it can't get out of sync. The ability to do that should be a minimum requirement for a true system controller.
I got the Harmony 650 yesterday, and I already see what thecoalman is talking about. No, it does not send out discreet "on" and "off" commands. Actually, I'm not sure that's in the design of the original devices.

Yes, it can go out of sync, not on its own, but if the user manually turns something off or on. But probably more irritatingly, it also happens one of the devices--like a video stream device (Roku, et cetera)--does its own spontaneous shut-down or if you press the wrong button on the Harmony.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I got the Harmony 650 yesterday, and I already see what thecoalman is talking about. No, it does not send out discreet "on" and "off" commands. Actually, I'm not sure that's in the design of the original devices.

Yes, it can go out of sync, not on its own, but if the user manually turns something off or on. But probably more irritatingly, it also happens one of the devices--like a video stream device (Roku, et cetera)--does its own spontaneous shut-down or if you press the wrong button on the Harmony.
it is in the design of most devices, even if it isn't on the original remote control. Back when Prontos were the go-to system controllers, our installers had their own databases for all kinds of discreet commands that were not on the original remotes. I don't know if Harmonys can be programmed that way. I have a buddy with two of them and his do separate on and off commands for the systems they control.

The remote isn't getting out of sync. The whole system is. Unlike higher end control systems like Crestron or even the Intellicontrol, Harmonys have no way of knowing what components are on or off. That is why discreet commands are so important. If it sends out "on" commands, anything that was off turns on, and anything that was on stays on.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
It should be sending out discreet commands, like "on" and "off" instead of "power". Then it can't get out of sync.
Some devices don't have discreet commands for power, it's the same command for on or off. I think both my TV and the Cable box only have the power toggle command and if they do have discreet on and off Harmony doesn't have them listed as option. Only the home theater has a on, off and a power toggle command.

Last edited by thecoalman; 01-07-2014 at 10:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics