Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

The rain is very welcome. I can't remember a July where the grass was so burned off like this year. Looks like we will be having another heat wave though with tempuratures in the 90's again. YUCK! Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I am so thankful it rained today. My lawn and gardens needed it. My lawn looks terrible.
I'm not (OK I am from the sense that we need the rain but I'm being selfish LOL )....I was in Hartford for something today and around 4pm had to drive back to Westchester County (I-84 to 684), from about exit 40 on I-84 all the way to part of 684 it was a blinding downpour 90+% of the time. My 90 minute drive took me about 2 1/2 - 3 hours.....I heard on both WTIC and WCBS that if I went with I-95 I'd have been at a standstill more or less from New Haven all the way to the state line.

I hear we're getting more rain tomorrow....we do need it and the rest of the week is looking hot and dry again so seriously I'm glad too.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:25 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Amen. Can you imagine how nice last July felt? The dewpoints are a double whammy...the nights/morning have not been getting below 70 F for a long time.
Yes. It's not even so much the heat that's bothering me, I can live with the 80s, low 90s dry.

The humidity being so high, dewpoints at or near 70 non-stop... that's what is the big pain. Especially inside the house, with poor air circulation. Been having to run the AC in the room over half the day, which I prefer not to do if I don't have to.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:54 AM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Another heat wave setting up for CT. This is getting to be ridiculous now...going all the way back to the 99F temperature we hit in May. Any relief at all on the 30-day horizon? Any pattern changes at all?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:00 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Another heat wave setting up for CT. This is getting to be ridiculous now...going all the way back to the 99F temperature we hit in May. Any relief at all on the 30-day horizon? Any pattern changes at all?
The short answer is….no.

According to Brett Anderson (long range forecaster at Accuweather) as well as the NOAA 60 day …the heat in the eastern United States is locked into place and the southerly flow will only strengthen as we head deeper into July and August. So far this month (July) the mean temperature (ave of high/low) at area NWS stations has been around 79 F. The average July mean temperature in Belem (in the Amazon Valley) is 80 F – lol.

Another interesting aspect of the hot summer…sea surface temps (SST) off the Atlantic Coast/Gulf Coast are approaching record warmth. From Long Island, NY southward to Virginia Beach, SST are now 25 C (77 F)…while from South Carolina south to Florida and west to Texas SST are now over 30 C (86 F). Off Hillsborough Light, FL Coast Guard cutters are reporting isolated pockets of 31/32 C SST (90 F). It takes the ocean a long time to warm up….and a long time to cool down. I would suspect that the coming fall will be quite warm in the Atlantic states. If August and even part of September keep going the way the whole warm season has gone…I think some of the places on the Connecticut coast might not see a frost until late November.

This week it should be near 90 F just about every day…and the dew points will come up as the High settles in over the Bahamas. Best I can tell you is to settle in, drink plenty of fluids, wear lightweight/light colored clothing, and keep your pace slow. We are too young to remember…but the old folks tell me this is what the summers of the 1940’s and 1950’s were like on the East Coast…H&H&H.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:55 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times
My father said the same thing about the summer weather in the 1950's. He remembered there was one summer that was very hot. My aunt confirmed that because she was away for the summer and has letters from my mother talking about the hot hot weather they were experiencing. And to think, they did not have AC. Jay

Old 07-16-2010, 09:17 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
<--still has no AC. Except that portable, which is about as useful as opening the freezer door and hoping it cools off the whole house.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:34 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
Looking at every overnight low for the next week... doesn't drop below 67. Joy... more humidity!

Old 07-17-2010, 09:53 AM

6,130 posts, read 5,098,910 times
yeah...hard to believe that all of last July we didn't even crack 90 F in Hartford!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:16 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My father said the same thing about the summer weather in the 1950's. He remembered there was one summer that was very hot. My aunt confirmed that because she was away for the summer and has letters from my mother talking about the hot hot weather they were experiencing. And to think, they did not have AC. Jay
If you look at the "month by month" average temperature section on the NWS website for NY City, you'll see that 1930's through the 50's had some pretty hot summers, so I presume that's true for most of the rest of the Northeast as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut