Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 04:04 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Wow... ok, ok...I'll let you enjoy the quiet week...

But I'm Dying to tell you what I'm seeing...I'm going to wait until Thursday at least... Dont put your shovels away.
Just getting in...just checked some stuff....just swore to you not till Thursday...so I cant give details yet...But I'll leave a picture for you...

Last edited by Cambium; 02-15-2011 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
Maybe that's why I prefer heat over cold, I am not "furry" enough.
Good one. Maybe that’s my problem too!

Seriously, though, I love the climate of Connecticut/Tri-State from April through November. By early April the sun is getting really strong. People forget that much of the Tri-State area/middle East Coast has the same solar angle as the Mediterranean Sea and subtropical China, so by April you can feel the power of the sun. By mid April once the buds are popping and those days that hit 60 F now and then I’m fine. I love the long hot/humid summers: My palms go out on the patio, the pool opens, and I watch the wind direction along the Rhode Island coast waiting for that south wind out of the Bermuda High to hit the beach (lol). Perfect temps for me are anywhere from 60 to 90 F. The 100 F humid summer days don't bother me at all. From May through early October I’m on island time (lol).

However, by mid November the weather starts to lose steam for me. The leaves start to look dead/yellow (I could really care less about the “foliage crap”). By mid December the first snow usually makes it down to the coastal Connecticut/Long Island and from there to late February is not the best for me. True, some winters have many 50 F + days mixed in, and little snow, and those winters are much easier to take…but some winters are really crappy. The only thing that saves me is my greenhouse (it’s 80 in January in there –lol) and trips to see family in deep South Florida. If I could just stay out of Connecticut totally from December 15th to March 15th I’d be happy.

Believe it or not…my favorite time of the whole year is actually mid March: I love watching winter die.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:38 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post

Seriously, though, I love the climate of Connecticut/Tri-State from April through November. By early April the sun is getting really strong. People forget that much of the Tri-State area/middle East Coast has the same solar angle as the Mediterranean Sea and subtropical China, so by April you can feel the power of the sun. By mid April once the buds are popping and those days that hit 60 F now and then I’m fine. I love the long hot/humid summers: My palms go out on the patio, the pool opens, and I watch the wind direction along the Rhode Island coast waiting for that south wind out of the Bermuda High to hit the beach (lol). Perfect temps for me are anywhere from 60 to 90 F. The 100 F humid summer days don't bother me at all. From May through early October I’m on island time (lol).

However, by mid November the weather starts to lose steam for me. The leaves start to look dead/yellow (I could really care less about the “foliage crap”). By mid December the first snow usually makes it down to the coastal Connecticut/Long Island and from there to late February is not the best for me. True, some winters have many 50 F + days mixed in, and little snow, and those winters are much easier to take…but some winters are really crappy. The only thing that saves me is my greenhouse (it’s 80 in January in there –lol) and trips to see family in deep South Florida. If I could just stay out of Connecticut totally from December 15th to March 15th I’d be happy.

Believe it or not…my favorite time of the whole year is actually mid March: I love watching winter die.

Man 2 weeks ago ..we couldn't find you anywhere...now......

The question begs to be asked.....why why why are you in Connecticut?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:57 PM

308 posts, read 679,876 times
You should move to Florida if you are a heat miser. Its been a great winter for us snow lovers! Too bad you havent enjoyed it. And its not over! Snow Snow Snow!!

Quote:

Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
You know the storm that hit Korea with the so called "Snow Bomb"? 3.5 Feet in one storm. Here's the left over energy from it.... Where she goes nobody knows .. But they do move East towards the Mainland.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
For me spring in the northeast is just horrible. Huge allergy issues, wet then hot, then damp, then cold....Here in North Carolina spring is plain gorgeous. Summer CT is better...NC is just too damn hot. Fall CT is phenomenal best time of year. Nice here too, but summer leaks along too far and its not as crisp here. Winter is better here unless you miss the snow ...like me
Uh...respectfully disagree on the allergies up here in CT. One of my all-time worst allergy days was last year in the Triangle on a business trip (April 8 & 9 if I remember). I remember using the windshield wiper and washer fluid on my rental car the next morning to clean off the pollen.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:44 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Man 2 weeks ago ..we couldn't find you anywhere...now......

The question begs to be asked.....why why why are you in Connecticut?
Well as I mentioned, once the days starting hitting 45 - 50 F…most sane people like the weather better

Connecticut has a good climate for me most of the year (April through November). It’s only from mid December to mid March that is undesirable. Considering all the people who live in various parts of the USA and think their region has more months they dislike than like (meaning it’s too hot/too cold/too wet/too dry…etc) I’m doing fairly well. I like about 8 months of the year here weather wise…which beats the 3 or 4 months I don’t like.

That question (above) might be better asked of you: How could someone live in a humid subtropical climate…if they dislike heat and humidity so much? You must hate the weather in North Carolina 7 out of 12 months a year.

One other unrelated weather note:

It was mentioned above that Newark, NJ hit 60 F on Monday. The southerly flow was much weaker on Monday than it will be in the coming days. If Newark managed 60 F on Monday (Bridgeport hit 56 F)…I think there is a real shot at 65 F in Newark on Fri and maybe 60 F in interior southern Connecticut. Here is the forecast highs for Friday. They have the city at 59 F. It will be interesting to see how hot we can get:

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff141/nomadct/fri.jpg (broken link)

I love wasting late winter days with mild days…it makes winter go by even faster!

Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajmelk View Post
Uh...respectfully disagree on the allergies up here in CT. One of my all-time worst allergy days was last year in the Triangle on a business trip (April 8 & 9 if I remember). I remember using the windshield wiper and washer fluid on my rental car the next morning to clean off the pollen.
All relative to what you are allergic to. I had terrible allergies and severe asthma in May and June up north..many hospital trips..have em here but very moderate. I think I was allergic to a type of tree up there that is not here. 5 years no attacks. And yes, the pollen can build here greatly..The mold here is much lower level. I am allergic to mold mostly..

Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Well as I mentioned, once the days starting hitting 45 - 50 F…most sane people like the weather better

Connecticut has a good climate for me most of the year (April through November). It’s only from mid December to mid March that is undesirable. Considering all the people who live in various parts of the USA and think their region has more months they dislike than like (meaning it’s too hot/too cold/too wet/too dry…etc) I’m doing fairly well. I like about 8 months of the year here weather wise…which beats the 3 or 4 months I don’t like.

That question (above) might be better asked of you: How could someone live in a humid subtropical climate…if they dislike heat and humidity so much? You must hate the weather in North Carolina 7 out of 12 months a year.

It was mentioned above that Newark, NJ hit 60 F on Monday. The southerly flow was much weaker on Monday than it will be in the coming days. If Newark managed 60 F on Monday (Bridgeport hit 56 F)…I think there is a real shot at 65 F in Newark on Fri and maybe 60 F in interior southern Connecticut. Here is the forecast highs for Friday. They have the city at 59 F. It will be interesting to see how hot we can get:

I love wasting late winter days with mild days…it makes winter go by even faster!

I dont love the weather here but am learning to live with it. July , August I spend a week each month up north (pure hell here, I admit). Spring here is amazing. You say you love mid March to May up north...? You'd love it here its almost perfect weather.Winter is okay here as I DO experience winter. About the only thing I really miss about CT is the snow ..other than family.

Oh and nice subtle dig at snow lovers...you have a way with that I notice.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM

308 posts, read 679,876 times
Dude, if it doesnt snow again this winter that's fine since we've already doubled our annual snowfall. The snow lovers already have won! Enjoy your few days of warmth. I'll be thinking about you when the next snow storm hits.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut