Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 06:27 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
Your own link.
Here's pittsfield
https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ma6414

73 inch average. It's north of the mass pike and over 1000 feet.

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ct1715
Cream hill, ct a few miles from norfolk 70 inches

https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ma9371
West otis ma, 64 inch average. NORTH of norfolk and HIGH elevation

When I figure out how much snow an area gets I like to look at a couple of stations, not just one. It takes human error/bad measuring out of the equation. Norfolk's reports don't line up at all with NW CT. I'd say NW CT at over 1000 feet gets around 70 inches a year average. Just my 2 cents. That's a TON of snow btw for CT. STill fitting to call it the icebox
You cant just use multiple locations to confirm something because Im sure you know there are micro climates and other factors. But Pittsfield is not as rural as Norfolk. Pittsfield is in a little valley which explains why they are less. Norfolk is surrounded by hills and mountains which enhance snowfall and not as developed as Pittsfield.

I drove through Pittsfield. Reminded me of a big city. So much development. Its an old city. Look at a Satellite map.

In fact Pittsfield data is recorded at their airport. Lol.

Norfolk is the icebox "of CT". Meaning coldest snowiest spot in the state.

Theres no question here. Data is good and Norfolk has been reporting for many decades.. If you question the data then you question every other station reporting including the airports. Who can we trust but ourselves, right?

Old 03-10-2018, 05:43 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
What surprises me is how much snow Adams and North Adams got. Yes, they're not as developed as Pittsfield but they're in a valley like Pittsfield (an the airport is just outside town). Snow band came from the west, Greylock didn't weaken the totals much for Adams (24"). But North Adamas without a mountain got 30". Maybe facing mountain slopes

https://goo.gl/maps/Qof2u6xBsoM2

Pittsfield's temperatures look what I'd expect for being higher up than me and precipitation patterns from being further west (more precipitation as snow and a little drier). Looks like other Berkshire stations have similar averages. Current snow depth

some compaction, southern Vermont got heavy snow from both storms. Most of the Berkshires had a lot of rain mixed in from the first storm, or a lot of it just melted upon reaching the ground. Those southern Vermont stations (at 1000-1500 feet) average 85-110 inches of snow

Old 03-10-2018, 08:23 AM

This storm Monday-Tuesday is more powerful than the last. Deepens to under 980mb pressure at our latitude.

Right now it will be 200 mile miss but latest trends want to go west which would mean a light impact. 200 mile shift west and we'll have another snowstorm.

Snowpack still on ground. Cold temps. Unreal. I should of known this would happen in March.. February was a tease

Old 03-10-2018, 01:07 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This storm Monday-Tuesday is more powerful than the last. Deepens to under 980mb pressure at our latitude.

Right now it will be 200 mile miss but latest trends want to go west which would mean a light impact. 200 mile shift west and we'll have another snowstorm.

Snowpack still on ground. Cold temps. Unreal. I should of known this would happen in March.. February was a tease
Joe Rao says the Euro now thinks it comes to us:

(posted one hour ago on his Facebook page)

AND NOW HERE'S THE EURO'S TAKE -- I have just gotten a look at the the new European model forecast.
It shows the first flakes arriving during the evening hours on Monday and continuing for the rest of the night into the first half of the day on Tuesday. It drops a few inches on most of the Tri-State area . . . with possibly a heavier dose for eastern Long Island.
It also, unfortunately, shows rather strong and gusty NNW winds buffeting our area during Tuesday . . . then very slowly diminishing on Wednesday, on through the remainder of the week.
And so it goes . . .

Old 03-10-2018, 02:54 PM

Just got home and all I did was check the raw data real quick on the Euro this afternoon. It's been showing 0.05" recently.. now almost 1/4". Right off the bat I knew it shifted west as well. Havent checked anything else.

Thanks for posting Joe Rao's comments! Anyone have any other meteo comments?

https://twitter.com/AMSweather/statu...81444999622657

Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Rediculous.

NAM. Sub 970mb low.

Old 03-10-2018, 03:58 PM

385 posts, read 362,963 times
There may be a shift west but Taunton NWS states, "None of the models show an agreeable
amount of phasing with the Great Lakes system" Also, "Daytime temperatures Tuesday
may hamper accumulation of snow, keeping totals lower than would
otherwise be expected."

Old 03-10-2018, 04:38 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
There may be a shift west but Taunton NWS states, "None of the models show an agreeable
amount of phasing with the Great Lakes system" Also, "Daytime temperatures Tuesday
may hamper accumulation of snow, keeping totals lower than would
otherwise be expected."
Since the event now falls within the 72-hr window, NWS Taunton has issued the first snowfall forecast. Doesn't look like a big deal.

https://www.weather.gov/images/box/w...alSnowWeb1.png

Old 03-10-2018, 07:25 PM

Heres what upton says.. Models show a big storm a week away, then loses it, then it comes back 48hrs before. Lol

If gets closer its another 6"+ event but right now 3"

Its tough when the pattern has 2 active jet streams. Where and when they merge

Quote:
A familiar pattern with NWP is a signal for a coastal storm in
the Day 5-7 period, losing the signal in the Day 3 to 4 period,
and then coming back with it in within 48 hrs of the storm. This
appears to be a function of NWP struggles with phasing of
northern and southern stream energy.

This appears to be the case again, with operational models and
good percentage of GEFS/EPS ensemble members having trended
closer to the 40/70 lat/lon in the last 24 hours with a bombing
offshore low.

Based on ensemble qpf probs, moderate potential exists for an
advisory level snow (3+ inches) for the Monday Night through
Tuesday time period if low pressure continues current ensemble
mean track of around 300 miles southeast of LI. Meanwhile, there
is a low potential for strong winds and warning level snows(6+
inches), which would be realized if low pressure tracks closer
to the 40/70 benchmark as indicated by a notable numbers of
ensemble members.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:30 PM

Don't put those shovels away yet. Wonder what the ratios will be. I cant deal with another heavy wet snowstorm

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut