Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2015, 07:59 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times

Advertisements

Golf anyone? Sun angle, 40s, 50s, rain, and fog, there is still a ton of snow around.

Just took this photo this morning in New Canaan, CT. 41.18N

Mid March. Just NUTS to see this. When I was walking on top of the snow I thought I'd just take a few shots of the golf course and leave .... then I sunk in and I was baffled. I DID NOT think it would be that deep in open sun like that. So I started digging to take this shot. WOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 AM

Decided to go back and use my regular camera. Good timing. Skiing on a Golf course in mid March?

I guess instead of repairing the divots in grass, we need to groom the snow

Chatted a bit with the nice guy. He didn't last long because snow was too soft and deep he was sinking in spots.

Old 03-13-2015, 02:11 PM

March 13, 2015.

Decided to take advantage of the snow on the ground... Did a little hiking.. South Central CT. North Guilford in New Haven County. I did this hike in the fall 2 yrs ago.

Empty parking lot. Elevation 225'. Temp 35°F(1.6C)

Mattabesett Trail

There's 2 ways to get to the top lookout points. An easy flatter trail going straight on the left and around the ridges or, make a right and head straight up and down the cliffs... Shorter time but harder hike.

I chose the steep hike. Of course pics might be deceiving. I had Crampons on but if it wasn't
for the foot prints already it would of been even tougher. Snow WAS NOT soft. I was baffled about that after the warm days we had and not many cold nights.

Looking back down... It was easy to lose your footing and start sliding a bit.

Continuing on now the trail is getting closer to the edge..

Absolutely amazed how hard the snow was. So Hard I was able to stand in between 2 deep foot prints without the snow collapsing.

Anyone got a sled? Gotta be over 300 foot drop.

First lookout point.

Another incline coming up

This should give some perspective. Camera was facing straight not pointed up. Good Balance, Knees, and Crampons needed. One bad move can send you rolling down the right.

Got to the top and Back on flatter trail heading to the next lookout spot. Just Jeans, TShirt and Sweatshirt. No gloves or hat. Was perfect

At the next Lookout point. Lake below multi colored and still frozen. So were the rivers driving off I-95 as well. Facing North. Temp now 32F. Elevation 650'. I climbed about 400 feet in 45 minutes.

Don't look down! lol

How deep was the snow? Deepest I came across was 10-14" range along the trails themselves..

Time to relax.. You can see Long Island Sound and Long Island from here. Over exposed Sky! Sorry

Love the Rocks and Steepness.

Snow on ground makes you see the rolling hills of CT. Used a special feature on camera to kinda show it better. Would be interesting without any trees.

Time to head back.... This person got too close for comfort. I bet his heart skipped a beat,.

Funny on the way down your body naturally shifted the weight with the slope so it was a little tougher going down because it seemed like you always wanted to push left... and that's not good here.

Your ankle can twist easy too with all the deep prints.

I met someone on the trail. He took the easy way and warned me of the ice/snow on the drop ahead. I told him I came up that way and I'll just slide down on my butt if I have to. lol (I didn't).

Up and Down we go again. I actually had to put my camera in my backpack going down. Didn't want to risk damaging it holding it in hand or neck

Back down to town. That felt good. Need another one. I'm sure there still will be snow after tomorrows rains. We'll see

Old 03-13-2015, 06:04 PM

830 posts, read 684,314 times
Great photo collection! That lake/pond mid-way through the tour was all ice still!

Old 03-14-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
Great photo collection! That lake/pond mid-way through the tour was all ice still!
Thanks. Yeah, the lake ice not that crazy to see in mid March but the lingering snow depth is. I saw some rivers still frozen along the way.

-----------------

Almost 1 inch of rain and thick fog. Temps in mid 40s. Did a number on the snowpack but....still hanging on! My garden is under here.

Whats funny is things are emerging I forgot I had. LOL. (firepit, chair, rocks, ect)

Was curious about the beach so I took another ride.. Wow. Still snow and can't even see the water 100 yards away.

Some areas of the beach snowpack was getting thin and even gone. So it's a matter of days now. Maybe another week or so it will all be gone there. This is all sand under here.

Melting and Ponding

Turn Around, Don't Drown? I didn't take a chance. Had to take another way

Visibility was less than 1/4 mile. This is near the beach.

This is what we usually get in January for a few days or a week... Temps in the 40s, Fog, Rain, & Snowpack eaten away. A Thaw we never got we're getting in March. That's why its so weird to see January snow still around in Mid March. Nuts.

2nd Longest consecutive days with snow on ground in the area. 4th longest for NYC

Old 03-14-2015, 04:53 PM

How about a comparison. Feb 25th vs today March 14th. Can't even see the water let alone Long Island. LOL

Old 03-16-2015, 01:27 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,034,777 times
Great pics Cambium! I was in CT the last two weekends; Bridgewater area and North Haven area. Lots of fog on the way back. One of the days was beautiful & sunny tho. Took a some pics with my phone. Only two were somewhat shareworthy. But when I go to post them here, it states the whole copyright thing & asks for a url. What if I don't have a url? Or do I & I just don't know it, haha!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Decided to go back and use my regular camera. Good timing. Skiing on a Golf course in mid March?

Compare that to now 5 days later.. Grass showing up more. Thinning out but still lots of snow to melt and maybe a couple more fresh inches coming Friday?

Old 03-20-2015, 06:56 AM

March 20, 2015

Putnam Lake, Greenwich CT still frozen. Snow cover in random spots but has more coverage in Stamford, Norwalk, Westport.

Last edited by Cambium; 03-20-2015 at 07:20 AM..

Old 03-21-2015, 07:55 AM

Relentless snow making for some extended photography and hiking opportunities.

Do these stop signs have new meaning? Snowing at the beach.

Boating anyone?

Half foot of white sand with old piles around and some snow never all melted.

From the beach to a River. Waterfall roaring a bit louder now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut