Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2018, 07:23 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times

Advertisements

Cambium - That building on Route 67 in Seymour is an old school that has been converted to elderly housing. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 08:02 AM

845 posts, read 679,877 times
Jeez Cambium, I know exactly where you were in beacon falls. Friend of mine lives in that neighbourhood. It's a nice area around there. The tornado ripped through just that part, surprised you didn't see any of the damage.

Old 07-10-2018, 05:00 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
July 9, 2018. Another area of Milford I was never in. Pretty nice area! I'll try linking to Google Street Maps with some pics.

Temp 71°. Dewpoint 59°. Beautiful morning. Everyone was outside enjoying it.

Gulf Pond on Buckingham Avenue

Coastal Community.

Gulf Street: Cool views from this curve, lets see the views after it.

Waters look so blue! Only using my cell phone with all these pics.

Gulf Beach on the left. Some folks were out on the sand. Some were walking/biking.

Closer to downtown.. Interesting history on the tablets.

Stonebridge Restaurant: Lobster Night, White Claw Thursdays, Band Schedule. Looks like a nice place to eat. I heard some running water, maybe a little waterfall around.

Look down the road a cute tight little curve coming up with stores on the sides.

Cool little spot.

Civil War Monument. Love the wide divider with grass and trees. People were walking and sitting on benches within. CT-162 Broad Street

They keep it nice the whole way

Old 07-11-2018, 10:43 AM

6,575 posts, read 4,964,901 times
South Glastonbury today - for CTartist

I have one from last year showing the barn open with tobacco drying
Attached Thumbnails
Photo & Video Thread-img_0664.jpg   Photo & Video Thread-img_0666.jpg  

Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

Tryon Street and Ferry Lane. Very pretty area. Jay

Old 07-11-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Tryon Street and Ferry Lane. Very pretty area. Jay
Yes, technically both from Ferry Lane. The farmer was tiling on the Tyron St side but I felt funny taking a photo as he came towards me (knowing I wanted to post it here)

I'll have to pick through some of my pix for more like this. I grew up exploring tobacco barns in Windsor.

BTW when will Main St be finished - that was pure hell on my bike!!! I can't go back until it's done

Old 07-11-2018, 01:56 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:

Very cool! Didnt even know we have a Tobacco farm. Didnt think we would be able to. Thought it needs warmer climates? Thanks for posting. More..more.

Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Yes, technically both from Ferry Lane. The farmer was tiling on the Tyron St side but I felt funny taking a photo as he came towards me (knowing I wanted to post it here)

I'll have to pick through some of my pix for more like this. I grew up exploring tobacco barns in Windsor.

BTW when will Main St be finished - that was pure hell on my bike!!! I can't go back until it's done
I am not sure when the repaving is going to be completed. I know it is this year but it is up to the contractor when they actually get out there and finish. The good news for bicyclists is that the state is going to widen the shoulder a bit so you will have more shoulder to ride on. It is only going to be 1 foot on each side but that is better than nothing. To do this they are going to narrow the lanes to 11 feet. Jay

Old 07-11-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Very cool! Didnt even know we have a Tobacco farm. Didnt think we would be able to. Thought it needs warmer climates? Thanks for posting. More..more.
OMG!!!! You and CTartist!! CT is FAMOUS for its shade tobacco. Famous. There was a MOVIE about it. There are still a lot of farms in the CT River valley, though certainly not even as many as when I was a kid.

I wanted to WORK tobacco when I was a kid (only had to be 14) but mom heard ONE story about a girl who put a needle through her hand and no tobacco for me! Boys worked the fields, girls worked inside sewing the leaves in bunches.

Farmington, Simsbury (I had relatives that worked out that way) on the east side of the river we have Ellington, Windsor, East/South Windsor, many more. There are still barns in East Hartford but I don't think there is anyone farming tobacco here. I have pix of my neighborhood with a whole cluster of tobacco farms behind it.

There is an entire complex of barns off Rt 20 you can see when leaving the airport. All up for sale so expect them to be demolished.

"A" tobacco farm he says! A!!!! You're lucky I love you Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure when the repaving is going to be completed. I know it is this year but it is up to the contractor when they actually get out there and finish. The good news for bicyclists is that the state is going to widen the shoulder a bit so you will have more shoulder to ride on. It is only going to be 1 foot on each side but that is better than nothing. To do this they are going to narrow the lanes to 11 feet. Jay
They were definitely working on it today. That's a narrow stretch of road anyway - I'm not counting on cars staying in their lane! One foot will be a lot

Post with pix coming

Old 07-11-2018, 04:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,662,436 times
^^^Yes! We used to have loads of tobacco farms. Kids would "work tobacco" as a summer job. The tobacco was hung in barns to dry. I think we used to supply the tobacco for Cuban cigars. You can still see some old tobacco barns if you go up through the Granby area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut