Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2017, 11:03 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Yup, 60.8". Look how much Boston has. 1980s was a good decade for you. Every year was below normal! Lots of under 20" years.

Impressive to remember an ice storm from decades ago. Makes sense we had them more I think. We were probably more near the Jet stream if it was over land as opposed to the jet being off shore more now which is spawning coastal storms.

hahah yep, less snow but more ice! I remember a blizzard-ish storm in 82 or so? I was brought to work and slept overnight because no way was I going to be able to get there for 5am.

The ice storms I'm remembering weren't like the 1973 storm, but more of an accumulating freezing rain. As a matter of fact, I have other memories - once as a kid so must've been 70s, walking around and around our house on top of the ice on the snow. A classmate lived behind me and snuck through the yards and started following me - until I tripped and fell on my face and he fell on top of me and scared me half to death!

Seemed like the first few years I drove, having an ice scraper was more important than a snow brush.

I also have pix in the backyard of ice encrusted branches. I haven't seen that in many years.

ps - I'd be forever grateful if you could transport me back to the 80s. There are a few bad decisions I'd like to un-do!

<added>
These I remember:

Dec 4 1982
The temperature in New York City's Central Park reached 72 degrees to establish a record high for December. The month as a whole was also the warmest of record for NY. A ridge of upper level high pressure off the southeast coast pumped warm south to southwesterly winds from the Tennessee Valley to New England bringing record high temperatures. Other daily record highs included: Richmond, VA: 77 °F, Cape Hatteras, NC: 76 °F, Roanoke, VA: 76 °F, Charleston, WV: 76 °F, Washington, DC: 75 °F, Lynchburg, VA: 75 °F, Baltimore, MD: 74 °F, Sterling (Dulles Airport), VA: 74 °F, Hartford, CT: 71 °F, Wallops Island, VA: 71 °F, Elkins, WV: 70 °F, Portland, ME: 69 °F (broke previous record by 12 degrees), and Bridgeport, CT: 61 °F.
(Ref. The Weather Channel) (from glenallenweather)

New England: 1984: Major Snowstorm - 7" of sleet and snow at Hartford, CT. - from Accuweather - though unless it started late in the day, it's not what I remember chipping ice off the car while leaving work

I'll have to see if I can find some of my old pix

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 03-26-2017 at 11:48 AM..

Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 PM

83,513 posts, read 75,277,900 times
What do you get when you have clouds and winds off the cold Ocean?

30s & low 40s for us in the afternoon when normal is low 50s.

Well below normal from Maryland to Maine. Not in Pittsburgh though...

Old 03-26-2017, 01:38 PM

845 posts, read 680,105 times
Cold in Mystic. Went to the aquarium today and did not expect it to be so cold. Dark and overcast.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:09 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Been finding it warmer even though it says high 30's and 40's. Not sure if do to see point or humidity.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:40 PM

From February 14th. Wow. Interesting.

Quote:
Oh God please dont come true. This model says this will be the snow cover mid March. What is with the backloaded winters?!!! I rather have front loaded winters. Or at least mid loaded winters. Gees

From November 26th. There must of been a reason I mentioned this. As if I was scared it would happen again. lol

Quote:
Something dawned on me as it felt like it's been hard to get cold and snowy Decembers lately. Felt like Early Spring was snowier. So figured I check... Sure enough..

Bridgeport, CT has had more snow in March than December in 4 of the last 5yrs.

December has had more snow than March only 7 of the last 18yrs.

Snowier March than December in recent times

The normal snowfall is the same for both months. 5.1"

Old 03-26-2017, 07:07 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,364 times
just spent almost two weeks in FL. Was sunny almost everyday, a few short rain storms, 70's - they were all wearing pants and full shirts and jackets... so spoiled haha..

Flying home it went from beautiful in FL to pea soup and this nasty weather right at the Northern North Carolina boarder. Today I was wondering why anyone would want to live here during the winter...

Old 03-26-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
just spent almost two weeks in FL. Was sunny almost everyday, a few short rain storms, 70's - they were all wearing pants and full shirts and jackets... so spoiled haha..
Welcome back but which is it?

Quote:
haha - Hoping for lots of snow over here now.. boat is buttoned up and winterized. Last day on the water was the 27th!

A day off next week would be superb.
Quote:
12 to 16 all day long!! yes!!
Quote:
boo, heaviest snow is staying on LI, cmon, come north!!

Quote:
yeah - not excited about Friday - it'd be great to have a day off, but I've abandoned hope for any more snow days.
Quote:
lets go snow!!! nice!!
OR this?

Quote:
Flying home it went from beautiful in FL to pea soup and this nasty weather right at the Northern North Carolina boarder. Today I was wondering why anyone would want to live here during the winter..

Old 03-26-2017, 09:41 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,742,969 times
Florida is only nice when it's cold up north. Once April comes around I almost never hear anyone talk about how nice it is until December again.

A summer in Florida is just as bad as winter here. It's just different poison

Such a myth that's it's a great climate year round. Not to.mention how FLAT it is

Only Southern California can accurately claim that, maybe a few other places in the USA.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:21 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:

Flying home it went from beautiful in FL to pea soup and this nasty weather right at the Northern North Carolina boarder. Today I was wondering why anyone would want to live here during the winter...
Man you are all over the place in what you want. Pick something.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:59 AM

Warm front lifting north. Some rain showers here and there. Nice big batch in NJ looks like it might clip Litchfield county soon the way its moving.

Temps in the 30s out there. No threat for ice or snow. Temps in the 40s at 5000'.

This rain should help reduce the snowpack more. I cant believe I'm still looking at snow (mostly piles out there now and some drift spots still)

2:45-6:45am loop

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut