Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2016, 11:47 AM

712 posts, read 529,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
While it may look like a miss, the offshore storm will still deliver strong currents, rip currents, and possibly a flooding storm surge. It's not a terrible decision to close the beaches. I saw this situation in Florida where there were offshore storms, sunny on the beach, and they set a record for lifeguard rescues that day.
Ridiculous decision to close beaches. NANNY state.
You'd have to shut the beaches everyday on the west coast using that logic. There's rip currents anytime there are waves. Its the ocean. Lifeguards a are there to make rescues. Let them set the rules how far out people can go.This is Not a landfalling hurricane. Just some swells.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:57 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,783,175 times
Was a typical summer day on the water in Norwalk... very much Nanny state.. I love how people are still telling me that the wind is GOING to come.. the storm surge wasn't any higher then the highest of tides.. a huge NON-event for us at least. I'd be pretty upset if my end of summer camping trip was cancelled because Malloy felt he knew the weather better then we do right here.

Ps. pretty sure we can call it a MISS for CT at least..

Last edited by Poseidon3290; 09-04-2016 at 03:10 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 04:11 PM

Fox five just reported and I quote "Gov. Christie said to not let today lull you into a false sense of security, you can expect HEAVY WINDS AND HEAVY RAIN in the next 24 hours"

Really? https://www.wunderground.com/US/NJ/Atlantic_City.html - less than 20% chance of rain for the next 4 days and 20mph highest winds.

This is what needs to stop, friends are cancelling major events because of what these news stations are saying. Get's me so angry!

Old 09-04-2016, 05:50 PM

712 posts, read 529,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagliola View Post
Fox five just reported and I quote "Gov. Christie said to not let today lull you into a false sense of security, you can expect HEAVY WINDS AND HEAVY RAIN in the next 24 hours"

Really? https://www.wunderground.com/US/NJ/Atlantic_City.html - less than 20% chance of rain for the next 4 days and 20mph highest winds.

This is what needs to stop, friends are cancelling major events because of what these news stations are saying. Get's me so angry!
Not only that. It's called CRYING WOLF. When something tropical actually dangerous does come along no one is going to pay attention!

It's so stupid. The media ratings weather hype machine is out of control.

Old 09-04-2016, 06:10 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Check out this video from a Ship that left Liberty, NJ and heading to Bermuda today. 90kt winds.

https://twitter.com/Robert_J_McHugh/...03975312527362

Here is where that ship was located.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/772530394285604864

Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I guess this balanced out our near-to-record warm August:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...-74-years.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
You'd have to shut the beaches everyday on the west coast using that logic. There's rip currents anytime there are waves. Its the ocean. Lifeguards a are there to make rescues. Let them set the rules how far out people can go.This is Not a landfalling hurricane. Just some swells.
I think they "jumped the gun" and overreacted, but at the same time I was at a park in New Rochelle, NY right on the Sound today and I saw waves crashing against the rocks that I have almost never seen there and was pleasantly surprised as it was a very beautiful sight. Granted, this would've been a mere near-to-slightly above normal wave situation at an ocean beach in NJ or the south shore of LI but I guess they were worried about lawsuits, etc. or some other nonsense, they could've just been a little stricter on how far out you go, no one would've been harmed on the sand itself or the very immediate shoreline,

Old 09-04-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Check out this video from a Ship that left Liberty, NJ and heading to Bermuda today. 90kt winds.

https://twitter.com/Robert_J_McHugh/...03975312527362

Here is where that ship was located.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/772530394285604864
And somehow that ship made that look like a cakewalk.. I think I'm done paying attention to the weather and fall is just starting! WHERE are these strong winds that almost all news stations and top government officials have been saying is going to hit? I've got the window right now and there's no wind at all!

Old 09-04-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Not only that. It's called CRYING WOLF. When something tropical actually dangerous does come along no one is going to pay attention!

It's so stupid. The media ratings weather hype machine is out of control.
It's almost comical how they NEVER get it right.

Ignore sandy for the most part...2 weeks with no power.

Close everything down for a non event.

Meanwhile I clearly remember Cam saying "watch out Sandy is going to be big" and I passed that message onto people nearly a week in advance and it was true!! That's the first time I noticed him!

Last edited by Poseidon3290; 09-04-2016 at 08:31 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 09:17 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,028 times
Quote:
You lived another day dude, go out and fly a kite vs. complaining.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:50 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Looks like rain developed on the west side now and getting closer...hope we can get a drizzle!

While I was one to believe the surge and coastal flooding and winds would be the biggest issue, i did back off that when I saw the storm jog east more than expected. I also kept saying not impressed and this wasnt a sandy or irene thing at all. I expected winds yesterday but the storm was too far out.

Now it depends how far back or close it comes whether we get any strong winds.

I track weather for entertainment...i will never complain about it or what meteorologists say. Its not like they rub a hat to make a forecast. Gees. All we have are the tools available to make one. Those tools started backing off the idea 2 days ago but some mets didnt wanna believe it or flip flop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut