Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2016, 08:18 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Right! Even when it was so warm last month, the days were deceiving as it got dark so early. I've never experienced that before! (For so long)
Kind of what December is like in the South or California.....

Old 01-08-2016, 08:36 AM

83,518 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Goes to show the vast majority of snow in this area falls in January and February. Only 7 inches on average in Bridgeport to now? LOL..we act like we are so far behind..thats one storm. December rarely gives us much snow lets face it.

And yes Camb..I know we disagree on this.
lol.. You just wanna dance again.

You're not really comparing it right. I can find 1 storm that gave us practically an entire seasons worth of snow (like 70% of it).. Look at it like this...

If normal is 7 inches by now that's about 30% of the season which means it does snow in November/December. Of course Jan-Feb are the snowiest for our area but to say "December rarely gives us much snow" is very inaccurate. 50% of all Decembers on record Bridgeport got over 4" of snow.

Of course it snows in December and its mostly small events. But snow does fall and accumulate. and remember, we're talking about an airport at the water... Go inland more and you'll realize it does snow in December.

Also remember... That 7" is an average. That means A foot of snow falls in December and 2 inches too.

I already proven this with stats, not sure why you think it doesn't snow in December.

Maybe because BDR's average is so low it looks like it doesn't snow?

So use Hartford and realize that it does snow in December in CT and the region..

And lets face it, 27 inch normal for an entire year is peanuts anyway.

Ok, I'm tired of Dancing now, Dance over? lol

Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 AM

BTW .. for next Wednesday.. Details can still change but Maine looking good for a snowstorm.. But watch Bernie's video and he explains whats happening...without the hype. Watch how a change in the trough position will change who gets snow.

Doesn't work with Explorer. (Chrome or MS Edge is fine)
Cold coming to Northeast; threat for snowstorm increasing - Trending Now - AccuWeather Videos

Also... see my post here... VERY ACTIVE PATTERN!.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:01 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,945,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

You're not really comparing it right. I can find 1 storm that gave us practically an entire seasons worth of snow (like 70% of it).. Look at it like this...

If normal is 7 inches by now that's about 30% of the season which means it does snow in November/December. Of course Jan-Feb are the snowiest for our area but to say "December rarely gives us much snow" is very inaccurate. 50% of all Decembers on record Bridgeport got over 4" of snow.

Of course it snows in December and its mostly small events. But snow does fall and accumulate. and remember, we're talking about an airport at the water... Go inland more and you'll realize it does snow in December.

Also remember... That 7" is an average. That means A foot of snow falls in December and 2 inches too.

I already proven this with stats, not sure why you think it doesn't snow in December.

So use Hartford and realize that it does snow in December in CT and the region..

So in other words, 70% of the snow typically falls outside of December? Like in Jan and Feb? I'd say that is a vast majority. I don't see how jp is wrong.

December seems like March to me. Both are transitional months that occasionally yield a snow storm or two, but its more the exception than the rule. Plus, its rarely cold enough to keep the snow around for an extended period of time.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
So in other words, 70% of the snow typically falls outside of December? Like in Jan and Feb? I'd say that is a vast majority. I don't see how jp is wrong.

December seems like March to me. Both are transitional months that occasionally yield a snow storm or two, but its more the exception than the rule. Plus, its rarely cold enough to keep the snow around for an extended period of time.
He said rarely. Wrong.

You mention keeping snow around, werent talking about snow depth and sticking around. Talking about Actual snow falls.

There are more Decembers with over 4" of snow then less. Doesnt sound like a month it rarely snows. Lol

And Im using Bridgeport... if I use Hartford my point would be clearer.

Old 01-08-2016, 09:56 AM

For next Wednesday.. GFS now gives us shoveable snows..

https://twitter.com/EdValleeWx/statu...40536254218240

Old 01-08-2016, 10:09 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post

March actually averages about as much snow as December, I think of November as more of a transition month. And I agree with Cambium, it snows in December more years than it doesnt, even in NYC. November is the month where snow is possible, but rare (though less rare say Danbury or BDL than BDR/New Haven/New London/NYC)

Old 01-08-2016, 10:35 AM

Btw 7Wishes... I started a thread in the weather forum on that study. Lol.

Check out some responses.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...miserable.html

Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Snowed in October of 2015. Be an interesting study normally snow in October means less snow in the winter usually.

It's nice out like this weather. Humidity feels up though should be a storm coming today it feels like. Heat is melting most of the snow lingering around where I live.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:07 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

But its an AVERAGE...that means many times we get little or nothing.. I KNOW we can get big storms but the average will speak a lot louder.. sorry dance not over!

Frankly with a 27 inch average we should not expect much anyway. Years like the last few are anomalies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut