Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 06:10 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

SPC Heavy Snow Discussion. All of CT included. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0099.html

Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,498,040 times
Just took a ride from Wallingford to New Have . Highway went from 50mph wet to 25-30mph snow/slush. It's not nice out there and getting worse.

Should be an interesting ride home in a bit so here is some humor for you.

Weekend Update: Buford Calloway | Video | Saturday Night Live | NBC

Old 02-13-2014, 06:22 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,511,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
SPC Heavy Snow Discussion. All of CT included. http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0099.html

Cam- You ready for that line coming in! Wow! Some 50dbz stuff in there. Going to be intense. I am heading out soon to be outside during it.

Report from Long Island.

4" in 30 minutes, 7" so far here in Holbrook, NY. 2-3" conglomerate flakes as that band moved through.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:36 AM

83,523 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Cam- You ready for that line coming in! Wow! Some 50dbz stuff in there. Going to be intense. I am heading out soon to be outside during it.

Report from Long Island.

4" in 30 minutes, 7" so far here in Holbrook, NY. 2-3" conglomerate flakes as that band moved through.
I see it! Heavy 40dbz+ band about to come over me and for Allentown & Long Island and Southern Westchester with some 50dbz embedded as you mentioned.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:50 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
How NYC schools always on snow days they handle snow better than CT ?
No, it's a combination of other things (they are honestly probably the ONLY district in the tri-state area open today):

1) Despite its vast size, less busing than other districts and more in the way of going to neighborhood schools that are walkable to

2) Those who do travel to other schools can often take underground subways that are not affected by snow.

And I think they will honestly get a lot of flack for it this time. When they were open during the last storm, less than half of the kids or teachers showed up (many of the teachers usually live somewhere where they have to drive to school), given that the bulk of the very heavy snow right now is in the City and Long Island, I think it will be an even worse situation today and you'll have schools with few kids there and most of them just being in the auditorium all day. It also looks kind of hypocritical when the mayor declares a state of emergency (last storm), cancels after school programs (so helping working parents was not the motivation), yet opens schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterj View Post
I can't decide if I should head into NYC from Norwalk via Metro North. We were previously allowed to work from home if approved by our boss, but some idiot ruined it for all of us and now we have to come in or take a vacation day. Anyone else heading into NYC or is everyone staying home?
How did he/she ruin it I'm curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I think they were premature in cancelling schools along the coast. This is pretty much just going to be rain.
No it is really bad out there this morning and even if it gets better later that will be too late for a delay.

It will be interesting to see what the schools that don't start February break until Monday do tomorrow. One one hand some models have the back edge going until almost tomorrow morning and since many districts are already closed for the break tomorrow (i.e. Norwalk, Bridgeport) because they won't be closed all of next week, there are various issues to consider:

1) Do you bother opening for just a day when you'll be closed a week, especially if you need a delayed opening? (i.e. does it save more money to not have the lights and heat on in that situation), although it's eventually supposed to be sunny and 40 tomorrow. And some districts, like Danbury, have a 1/2 day tomorrow before the break so a delay means a closure.

2) Can't "confer" with other nearby districts as much as some are already closed on the break (the Norwalk schools website had a big 'subsection' where the superintendent notes how he decides on delays, closures, etc and one thing he admitted is that this is done. I've noticed that Stamford tends to go in synch with Greenwich (who also is already on Feb. break) and Norwalk on school delays/closures).

3) One thing in CT that would've probably pushed schools to be open tomorrow is that the state tests (CMT/CAPT) are done in March (most FFC districts actually had a week of "Feburary break" until a couple of years ago but realized after all the snow days in a couple of recent winters that they should shorten it for this reason). But due to Common Core, this is the last year of it and most CT districts have already opted to go for the Smarter Balance computer test (they had the option to start them this year instead), which is spread out by grade and subject from late March into May. So it's not as urgent to be open due to losing a day for test prep so close to the test (due to a legal issue, all districts have to give the CMT Science test this year, but that's only for 4th and 8th grade, so it may not be as much of an issue).

Stamford just came out with their 2014-15 school calendar, and I noticed that next year they went back to a "NY State" district style schedule that reflects the later state tests (i.e. school starts after Labor Day, spring break is tied to the Easter/Good Friday/Passover week instead of always being the 3rd week of April (next year the holiday week is in late March).

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 02-13-2014 at 07:17 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 07:08 AM

Almost whiteout conditions on 95 in Fairfield County per traffic cameras.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
Quote:
Almost whiteout conditions on 95 in Fairfield County per traffic cameras.

Same deal here in southern Westchester, I noticed the heavy band goes from the City on east so it will likely be affecting CT. I noticed on the TV that west of the City (i.e. much of Jersey, Rockland County), the snow is a lot lighter.

Oh, one more thing about schools vs. businesses, they are on a very set daily schedule and with hundreds of kids its not easy to just change that the way a business can. If people call out or come in late in a business, well then a meeting gets delayed or cancelled. While I think businesses could be a little more sympathetic (and some are, but I mean in general) about safety in this weather, its one reason why schools are quicker to close or delay than businesses (and when they do delay, they have it on a very set schedule, it's not easy to just say, "90 minutes today", "2 hours for another storm", etc.....to allow for more flexibility Danbury just opted for a 3 hour delay option that barely has schools open for the day.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:14 AM

679 posts, read 1,190,798 times
Cam, how is the 40 DBZ man?

Old 02-13-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubeworm View Post
Cam, how is the 40 DBZ man?

Looking at the traffic cams in Fairfield County he is getting crushed right now. I am sure he is outside in it right now. LOL

Old 02-13-2014, 07:21 AM

6,132 posts, read 5,103,250 times
Quote:
Looking at the traffic cams in Fairfield County he is getting crushed right now. I am sure he is outside in it right now. LOL
For those of us less literate...what is 40-50 dbZ ? I assume some mark of intensity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut