Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2017, 08:59 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Denver International is nothing like 40 minutes from downtown Denver unless it's rush hour. On Monday, I drove from Hertz to the office on the southern edge of Tech Center in 25 minutes. Mile High Stadium from the airport would be a bit less than that as would the convention center Downtown. Denver also has brand new light rail right to the airport terminal. It's 37 minutes to Union
I was on Denver for a week and drove from the airport stayed downtown and drove back to the airport to pick my wife up to go back downtown . It was outside of rush hour but it took me a lil less than 30mins going and comming back. And that was with keeping up with the flow of traffic. Not speeding too much. Driving speed limit will pit you of the 30 mark.

La gru is closer but I use to go to JFK quite often and it use to take me almost an hour from Stamford. Traffic anytime of the day was he'll on 678

Old 11-11-2017, 09:30 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,926,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I was on Denver for a week and drove from the airport stayed downtown and drove back to the airport to pick my wife up to go back downtown . It was outside of rush hour but it took me a lil less than 30mins going and comming back. And that was with keeping up with the flow of traffic. Not speeding too much. Driving speed limit will pit you of the 30 mark.

La gru is closer but I use to go to JFK quite often and it use to take me almost an hour from Stamford. Traffic anytime of the day was he'll on 678

Denver, Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Raleigh, D.C area, Philly, Tampa

Two west coast locations won’t make sense.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:09 AM

34,920 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Can you provide a link. I see that AWS announced a new campus for AWS in VA a few months ago. Considering that the majority of their servers are there, it makes sense for AWS expand there.
Here you go. There are others. Just Google it. Jay.

https://www.geekwire.com/2017/amazon...hern-virginia/

Old 11-11-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Denver International is nothing like 40 minutes from downtown Denver unless it's rush hour. On Monday, I drove from Hertz to the office on the southern edge of Tech Center in 25 minutes. Mile High Stadium from the airport would be a bit less than that as would the convention center Downtown. Denver also has brand new light rail right to the airport terminal. It's 37 minutes to Union Station.

O'Hare has subway service to the loop. I've taken it a bunch of times. In Chicago, you also have MDW.

If you're in Stamford at 5pm and have a flight, it's "you can't get there from here". Newark would be laughable as would JFK. Crossing the bridge to get to LGA is a total crap shoot. It's not like you can get on railed transport and know for sure you're going to get off at the airport in time to make your flight.
Google shows it is 27 miles from downtown Denver to the airport. When I mapquested it, the travel time was 41 minutes. Obviously a lot depends on where you are downtown and the traffic you encounter along the way.

OHare is 18 miles from downtown Chicago so the drive time is at least 20 minutes. Again when I checked it was 30 minutes. You are right though there is subway service which is good to get you there. Jay

Old 11-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
in all likelihood, yes

The decision will not be political. It will be business model based, and depend largely on the long-term demographic population issues mirroring long-term needs of Amazon.
Amazon is not one of those companies that makes major decisions strictly on the short term bottom line. They definitely will consider the politics of the state they are locating to. They recognize the impotence of long term investments unlike too many other major corporations which is why they got where they are. Jay

Old 11-11-2017, 10:36 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,257,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Yep... northern Virginia. 2 major airports, mass transit, lots of land, booming economy, easy access by car, rail, plane or even boat to the entire east coast...

Mark my words..
I thought it was already impossible to get around NVA. Now you want to add tens of thousands of employees, most of whom will have to drive to work? Mass transit gets people to jobs in DC.

Old 11-11-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post

Keep in mind though that the tolls on the bridges have been replaced with all open road tolls so that problem is gone. Still not easy to get to but there is also Westchester which is just over the state line. Jay

Old 11-11-2017, 04:32 PM

34,024 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Amazon is not one of those companies that makes major decisions strictly on the short term bottom line.
All corps in relo decisions make long-term decisions.

GE & AETNA's hq moves, for instance, are not about just 2018. Rather about 2028. About 2038.

Amazon is likely to go where there are other major employers seeking the vast SCM population they will need. Having the employees you need, in giant quantities, is paramount.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:35 PM

34,024 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayct View Post
. They recognize the impotence of long term investments unlike too many other major corporations which is why they got where they are. Jay
funny!

Old 11-11-2017, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
funny!
Damn auto correct. 😄 Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut