Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2017, 07:13 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Uh not exactly.

You can look at earnings and that's all well and good but you also aren't looking at spending either. If you make less that doesn't mean you spend less depending on savings and investments.
If you look at 2015 US census data, Connecticut median household income declined by 6.7% since the peak year in 1989, inflation-adjusted. That's middle of the pack nationally for decline. Regionally, New Jersey and Rhode Island have seen bigger declines. Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania have seen smaller declines. New Hampshire and Maryland have now overtaken Connecticut as the high median income states because their declines were smaller. I'm ignoring Alaska since it has a natural resource-based economy and really can't be compared.

The Connecticut trend isn't particularly better or worse than everywhere else. Everybody else has a budget crisis, too. With the aging Boomers hitting retirement age with the majority low net worth with no source of income but Social Security, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. The demand for affordable elderly housing, heating assistance, and Medicaid-paid nursing homes is going to crush everybody. All the New England states have a very high median age. Connecticut is 40.2. That's going to keep increasing. Taxes are going to go up to pay for it.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:07 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,086 times
Wow, even the Courant editorial page thinks the union concessions need to go further.
Union Deal Still Not Good Enough - Hartford Courant

Old 05-24-2017, 11:02 AM

6,585 posts, read 4,968,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Yes, I would. Although you are stating a wrong premise again. People do community service all the time.
Exactly.

Recipient: Hello, I'm out of work and here to apply for public assistance.

Government: Great! Fill out these forms and pick which job you'd like to work at 10 hours a week.

Second hit on a google search: Public Assistance and Work Requirements - Legal Assistance of Western New York, Inc. ®

If people worked in their community, maybe it would actually give them some pride in their community and then you wouldn't see things continuing to go downhill. Couple of supervisors for a work crew, it's certainly not impossible. And geez, maybe government workers could keep their jobs too because now they have people to supervise. Extremely simplified, I know. But no reason it couldn't work.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 AM

3,594 posts, read 1,792,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If you look at 2015 US census data, Connecticut median household income declined by 6.7% since the peak year in 1989, inflation-adjusted. That's middle of the pack nationally for decline. Regionally, New Jersey and Rhode Island have seen bigger declines. Massachusetts, New York, and Pennsylvania have seen smaller declines. New Hampshire and Maryland have now overtaken Connecticut as the high median income states because their declines were smaller. I'm ignoring Alaska since it has a natural resource-based economy and really can't be compared.

The Connecticut trend isn't particularly better or worse than everywhere else. Everybody else has a budget crisis, too. With the aging Boomers hitting retirement age with the majority low net worth with no source of income but Social Security, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. The demand for affordable elderly housing, heating assistance, and Medicaid-paid nursing homes is going to crush everybody. All the New England states have a very high median age. Connecticut is 40.2. That's going to keep increasing. Taxes are going to go up to pay for it.
The only reason the median income figures haven't declined more is because the wealthy have gotten wealthier(which tends to be a consequence of big governnent). Eliminate the top 5% and the bottom 5% and the numbers look ugly. Connecticut now has the smallest middle class in the country, largest wealth gap in the country.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:41 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Wow, even the Courant editorial page thinks the union concessions need to go further.
Union Deal Still Not Good Enough - Hartford Courant
excellent editorial

Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,204,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The only reason the median income figures haven't declined more is because the wealthy have gotten wealthier(which tends to be a consequence of big governnent).
Wow, I thought I was the lonely voice pointing out this. Which is very logical and not coincidental.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:30 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Genius View Post
I don't know much about this union deal, but I have two questions about it:

- Do you think the deal would at least put Connecticut in a better situation than it currently is in?

- Do you think the Republicans will block this deal, and if so, do you think it will result in a better deal for Connecticut?
No, as it extends benefits through 2027 WITH a no layoff guarantee. As we've seen over the past few years, revenue projections have been unreliable at best. This essentially ties the state's hands if revenue falls short and will result in additional taxes and/or cuts to services. So state employees get downside protection - the rest of us get the shaft. That is unacceptable IMO.

I don't think this passes the legislature (will be the first time in a long time that they actually vote on a union contract). Even the Courant has come out against it. It also may not pass the unions. We shall see.

Old 05-25-2017, 07:48 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
No, as it extends benefits through 2027 WITH a no layoff guarantee. As we've seen over the past few years, revenue projections have been unreliable at best. This essentially ties the state's hands if revenue falls short and will result in additional taxes and/or cuts to services. So state employees get downside protection - the rest of us get the shaft. That is unacceptable IMO.

I don't think this passes the legislature (will be the first time in a long time that they actually vote on a union contract). Even the Courant has come out against it. It also may not pass the unions. We shall see.
I agree. Ten years is way too long to guarantee no layoffs. I understand the unions wanting some assurances but in this financial situation I think that is WAY too long. Jay

Old 05-25-2017, 07:53 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
The only reason the median income figures haven't declined more is because the wealthy have gotten wealthier(which tends to be a consequence of big governnent). Eliminate the top 5% and the bottom 5% and the numbers look ugly. Connecticut now has the smallest middle class in the country, largest wealth gap in the country.
You do know what "median" is, right? If you eliminate the top 5% and the bottom 5%, you get the exact same number. $70-ish thousand in Connecticut.

Connecticut does not have the smallest middle class in the country. Have you ever been to Mississippi? Alabama?

Last time I looked, New York had the largest wealth gap in the country if you're using the Gini coefficient looking at income spreads.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:22 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. Ten years is way too long to guarantee no layoffs. I understand the unions wanting some assurances but in this financial situation I think that is WAY too long. Jay
Absolutely. It should be 5 years max, and I'd be fine with years 6-10 individually locked in based on contractually agreed upon KPI met such as State Individual Private Sector Taxable Income, State Revenue projection growth without tax increases counting, State Private Sector Job Growth ranking, State Business Climate Ranking, etc. If Not met, from the first year of 6-10 where KPI fail, deal ends.

We are long overdue to ride in the same ship, and public sector compensation and job security must ride with how the Private Sector is doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut