Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 07:02 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
No one moves to NYC to save on taxes. I'm sure dozens of posters here will tell us otherwise. And some of those posters won't even be from CT.
I think most of us can be in agreement that these companies are moving to attract talent that just doesn't exist in the suburbs. Anyone who says Aetna's move is to save money is delusional, although long term, could make them more profitable given the location.

Anyway, it sounds like Aetna will be leaving. This is devastating.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:27 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,208,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think most of us can be in agreement that these companies are moving to attract talent that just doesn't exist in the suburbs.
For the last 50 years how did Aetna find its talent in the suburbs?

Old 05-31-2017, 07:34 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
I think most of us can be in agreement that these companies are moving to attract talent that just doesn't exist in the suburbs. Anyone who says Aetna's move is to save money is delusional, although long term, could make them more profitable given the location.

Well, what are the corporate tax rates in NY and MA in comparison to CT? Could this not be a factor? I have a hard time believing they've been unable to find talent in suburban towns. Sure, there may be more of it in a larger city like New York, but like you said, unless it means lower corporate tax rates, I don't see how this would save $.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
For the last 50 years how did Aetna find its talent in the suburbs?
Most of their top executives, who would be the ones relocating, are not originally from Connecticut.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:49 AM

14,056 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Been past months there been rumor Athena is leaving but we have to wait for official word. I wouldn't be surprise if they move some jobs out of state

If you want to attract businesses, still need fast and reliable infrastructure. As important if not more, need to fix our fiscal position. Businesses do not like an unpredictable state government with uncertainty towards taxes.

Old 05-31-2017, 07:55 AM

Connecticut need get out of past yes the suburbs are nice but cities are falling apart and Infrastructure need some work

Old 05-31-2017, 08:03 AM

Boston officials has heard about possible Aetna move Will Texas, North Carolina officials be next to lure them to their state ?

"Aetna could move its headquarters here like GE did; other times you seem more interested in significant expansion in Massachusetts."

"The Commonwealth would of course love to scoop up another corporate giant from the Nutmeg State — the goofy nickname is reason alone to leave – but let’s be clear about something."

"Leave New York for the financiers and media moguls. Massachusetts is the capital of health care, from our world-class hospitals to leading life sciences companies. We discover drugs. We cure cancer. We incubate health care reform."

"Come to Massachusetts for the same reason GE chief executive Jeff Immelt uprooted his company with a market value of $235 billion. He wanted to be in the center of innovation and tap the brains graduating from Harvard, MIT, and other schools that can accelerate the digital transformation of the industrial giant."

Dear Aetna. You won’t get big dough like GE, but Mass. is still the place to be-Boston Globe

Old 05-31-2017, 08:16 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,838,473 times
Quote:

Plenty of talent in the Hartford area, so that doesn't make sense. CT also has one of if not the highest percentage of college graduates with a BS degree or higher, so its not education either.

As for public transportation the new New Haven Springfield train line stops at Union station in Hartford which is about a 15 minute walk to Aetna if not less. I'm sure some people won't want to walk so a bus would probably pick up that route or Aetna would provide a shuttle.

The excuses these executives will come up with will all be horse ****. I'll laugh myself to death if they say taxes.

For 2016, Aetna's net income was 2.271 billion dollars (that is almost 2 billion dollars per month)

https://news.aetna.com/news-releases...-2016-results/

Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Plenty of talent in the Hartford area, so that doesn't make sense. CT also has one of if not the highest percentage of college graduates with a BS degree or higher, so its not education either.

As for public transportation the new New Haven Springfield train line stops at Union station in Hartford which is about a 15 minute walk to Aetna if not less. I'm sure some people won't want to walk so a bus would probably pick up that route or Aetna would provide a shuttle.

The excuses these executives will come up with will all be horse ****. I'll laugh myself to death if they say taxes.

For 2016, Aetna's net income was 2.271 billion dollars (that is almost 2 billion dollars per month)

https://news.aetna.com/news-releases...-2016-results/
Laugh all you want, but if you're trying to claim Hartford has the talent pool of New York City, or even Boston, you're living in a different world than I am.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM

184 posts, read 106,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Connecticut need get out of past yes the suburbs are nice but cities are falling apart and Infrastructure need some work
Have you tried to get into Boston during the work week of late? I live 25 minutes outside of Boston. During rush hour, which starts at 6:30, it can take upwards of 2 hours to get to parts of Boston or Cambridge. I used to leave Cambridge at 5, pickup my daughters in day care in Weston at 6, and get to my house in Framingham by around 6:45. And even if you can take the commuter rail, you need to get a parking spot before 6, and the trains here do not run on time, at all.

But I do agree with the article above. The amount of young talent in Boston is amazing. But there is not going to be many places for them to live, even in the city. Way to expensive.

At some point, there will be "peak Boston" and you will see companies looking to move to places where their staff can get to work from the suburbs. Connecticut needs to be ready to court these companies. What goes around comes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut