Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 AM

21,740 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It's official Alexion are gone (not all though). Half of the staff will be moved to Boston. 450 to stay.

The tally is up there for job losses. 400 here, 750 in Granby and some at the helicopter place in Bloomfield.
2018 is going to be rough because you have them plus all of BMS pulling out. If CT wants revenue start charging tax on people leaving. Talk about a mine maker.
Are they keeping just enough to get the sweetheart deals and then moving the entire company to Boston eventually?

That would be my bet.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:59 AM

249 posts, read 354,541 times
Alexion is keeping Research & Development in New Haven. I don't think Research & Development is lowest paying? Regardless, they just moved into a brand new building last year! My sister works at Alexion, so I'm sure I'll get some additional information later today. If they offer a relocation package and up salaries, maybe people will move to Boston, if it's offered. The house my sister lives in would be at least 1 mill inside 128. She'd have to get a hefty raise in order to afford the move. Alexion will have to pay more money to their employees up there, even if they are reducing their workforce by 20%, they'll have to pay that in increase of salaries in the Boston area.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:09 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Woah. Alexion is moving 50% of their workforce to Boston. Their lowest paying jobs to remain.

This is not good.
This is terrible actually. I remember the huge to-do several years ago when they were incentivized to move from Cheshire to New Haven. The new HQ was going to catalyze further development of that part of downtown NH. To move HQ again so soon, which is fundamentally disruptive to a company and expensive, is a damning indictment of the business climate in CT.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:13 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,179,613 times
Don't worry, Amazon will come and save the day. Maybe they can help fill up all that empty office space and all those half empty fancy apt towers in Stamford.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
This is terrible actually. I remember the huge to-do several years ago when they were incentivized to move from Cheshire to New Haven. The new HQ was going to catalyze further development of that part of downtown NH. To move HQ again so soon, which is fundamentally disruptive to a company and expensive, is a damning indictment of the business climate in CT.
Yep. It's a huge kick in the pants to New Haven.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:22 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yep. It's a huge kick in the pants to New Haven.
They said on the news this morning the state has given them 26 million over the last 10 years to stay here. I don't think these giveouts are working any more.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 AM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
It's official Alexion are gone (not all though). Half of the staff will be moved to Boston. 450 to stay.

The tally is up there for job losses. 400 here, 750 in Granby and some at the helicopter place in Bloomfield.
2018 is going to be rough because you have them plus all of BMS pulling out. If CT wants revenue start charging tax on people leaving. Talk about a mine maker.
What 750 jobs in Granby are you talking about? Stubhub was 230 jobs with the closing of their call center there if that is what you are referring to here. Kaman is only 85 jobs (45 layoffs, 40 transfers). That does not add up to 750. Jay

Old 09-12-2017, 08:29 AM

Does the state have to hit some sort of bottom for change to actually happen?

The only silver lining to this is that it may be better off that things get THIS bad, because in the past we've skirted along with problems brewing below the surface for decades and no one sounded the alarm.

Like Detroit, sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can have a renaissance.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:36 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,455,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Does the state have to hit some sort of bottom for change to actually happen?

The only silver lining to this is that it may be better off that things get THIS bad, because in the past we've skirted along with problems brewing below the surface for decades and no one sounded the alarm.

Like Detroit, sometimes you have to hit bottom before you can have a renaissance.
I think there is actually. I think eventually parts of our state will come back alive after a painful downslide. The location of the state our natural resources (forests wildlife coastline rivers) are things that have always been attractive to people. I also think at some point the state will have to lower some of the bars for entry in the business community. We don't need giant giveaway to corporations we instead need to take that money and use it to cut costs for startups and small business, with incentives designed for growth and increased employment.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
I think there is actually. I think eventually parts of our state will come back alive after a painful downslide. The location of the state our natural resources (forests wildlife coastline rivers) are things that have always been attractive to people. I also think at some point the state will have to lower some of the bars for entry in the business community. We don't need giant giveaway to corporations we instead need to take that money and use it to cut costs for startups and small business, with incentives designed for growth and increased employment.
Unfortunately the current administration won't crack it. They are seeing the problems unfold in front of them but still don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut