Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 06:27 AM

720 posts, read 919,214 times

Advertisements

Safe to say we are doomed.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Does it really matter to businesses in Connecticut if the budget is a deficit? I have never heard of a company saying we are leaving because they can't balance the budgets. I could see the taxes as a reason and they might be concerned about increased taxes but Malloy seems to be saying he is not raising taxes.

Not sure if this matters but doesn't anyone notice a lot more cars on the road in the morning and at night? More cars equals more people working, right?

Old 02-26-2016, 06:43 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Maybe more people working but as the article say they are not highwage jobs. If someone is naking 40k struggling they cant afford to pay more taxes. Thats going to make them move out which is going to raise taxes even m

Ct needs to cut spending somewhere. I would prolly start with road projects which takes up alot of money with new projects happening all the time. And compared to alot of states ct roads are top notch. Look at 95 going thru nyc. Time you cross the border its like you are riding in the clouds compared to going the other way through thr bronx

Old 02-26-2016, 06:57 AM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
Connecticut roads are top notch? I must be driving in the wrong areas of the state! IIRC Connecticut has something like 70% of its' road in poor or mediocre condition not to mention the poor shape of hundreds of bridges across the state.

[quote=ayoskillz;43152352
Ct needs to cut spending somewhere. I would prolly start with road projects which takes up alot of money with new projects happening all the time. And compared to alot of states ct roads are top notch. Look at 95 going thru nyc. Time you cross the border its like you are riding in the clouds compared to going the other way through thr bronx[/quote]

Old 02-26-2016, 07:33 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
There road projects seem to be wasteful at times I think. When they paved Route 8 and I 84 that was awesome. They need to fix the states bridges, pave more state roads, and allocate funds to towns to help them fix their roads. They need to do this first over projects of widening roads.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:35 AM

720 posts, read 919,214 times
More People and companies will leave, no one wants to stay in a state where the future is uncertain. Companies look at this more then you think, they see a budget defecit and think "hmmm" where will they try to get that money from?
We are doomed, Malloy has doomed this state. Its like watching the Titanic.

Old 02-26-2016, 07:44 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Well by law they have to balance the budget. So the projected deficit never actually materializes because it can't. But it shows the state has a spending problem that needs to be addressed - the two largest tax hikes instate history are not sufficient to balance the budget. Malloy seems to have finally realized this. But the noises coming from the Dem legislators indicates that they have not.
A balanced budget doesn't mean lack of deficit per se, just that funding sources are accounted for (including general and special obligation bond sales and other borrowing, as well as Fed transfer payments) and there's really no teeth to the balanced budget amendment that I'm aware of. The song and dance I'm talking about is the GA goes like this: smooth sailing for the budget, "unseen" issues that that are accounting tricks, last minute shaving around the edges, hope they look like heroes when the budget ultimately ends with a miraculous surplus. It's akin to the vaudevillian tying the damsel to the train tracks, and then coming back to untie to make him look like the good guy and then put it on their flier for re-election and a nice photo op. This was the GA's favourite move in tandem with Roland, Rell, and now Malloy.

CT's GA is not the only state to do this, but CT doesn't also have a near majority of it's operational budget coming from the Feds like many states.

Does CT have a spending problem, in reality? It's honestly hard to say at this point. It's said so often that it's become a "known fact" but really given the COL differences that CT faces, and lack of county government which the state has stepped into the role there, it's hard to give apples to apples comparisons. That said I think the state could be spending money a little wiser and is stuck in it's post manufacturing/post finance thinking and isn't being innovative to bring new opportunities to the state and diversify the economy even more.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:02 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
Malloy orders review of health care oversight, delaying Yale-L+M decision | The CT Mirror

I think it be good for two healthcare systems in the state. Like the article mentioned more reimbursement of Medicare funds. The only reason hospital cost go up is the money state and federal government cut from hospitals.

If anything CT should get involved in is mandatory staffing to patient care numbers and raising the cost of non union healthcare workers to $15 an hour.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:05 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EUPL View Post
More People and companies will leave, no one wants to stay in a state where the future is uncertain. Companies look at this more then you think, they see a budget defecit and think "hmmm" where will they try to get that money from?
We are doomed, Malloy has doomed this state. Its like watching the Titanic.

The deficit is expect to grown next 4 years FY18 which start June 2017 early numbers project it to be nearly 3 billion deficit. If CT don't act face before June we are in for 1 Billion or more.

Old 02-26-2016, 08:07 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,863,463 times
Alot of it comes from ffc and down. For example. Look at old grenwi. They work in nyc but have million dallor homes and pay home taxes to ct. Which isaot of money. These hundred plus thousand dallor carss and car taxes to ct. If you add that up it account a big portion of the state funds. If they start moving thats money the state was once get not receiving any more.

States give companies big tax breaks and ect so in alot of states they make most of their money with citizens. Look at Florida for example. 10+ years ago their state was in the same situation. But they now have a high rate of retirement there which again pays taxes and bring the state more money. Ct needs to find away to attract more people to the state, if not they cant keep spending like they was because when jobs and people move out, so does the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut