Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 12:35 PM

453 posts, read 530,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Hate to say it but two more companies announcing lay offs today. Mass mutual in enfield and boehringer ingelheim in Danbury.

Nothing to do with CT economic climate but will have impact on tax base. Well over 100 jobs lost in total.

Do not like to see this. But side note, went driving around yesterday (mall was one of our stops) and it was packed with people. I didn't buy anything and I talked my wife out of buying anything. Lol but people were spending money. From all the reports I've read regarding job losses in Connecticut one would think no one has money but it looks like the total opposite.

Either people are spending and not savings, going into debt or simply CT is doing better than I though.
I've noticed the Buckland Hills area has a lot more cars around on the weekends compared to 1, 2, or 3 years ago. I think it's driven largely by the gas/oil price relief. I'm saving around $100 - $150 a month in gas, and a homeowner who heats with oil is saving hundreds, if not more on oil during the winter months.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Hate to say it but two more companies announcing lay offs today. Mass mutual in enfield and boehringer ingelheim in Danbury.

Nothing to do with CT economic climate but will have impact on tax base. Well over 100 jobs lost in total.

Do not like to see this. But side note, went driving around yesterday (mall was one of our stops) and it was packed with people. I didn't buy anything and I talked my wife out of buying anything. Lol but people were spending money. From all the reports I've read regarding job losses in Connecticut one would think no one has money but it looks like the total opposite.

Either people are spending and not savings, going into debt or simply CT is doing better than I though.
We were out shopping in Buckland Hills area and thought it was a bit quiet. Even the salesclerk said it was. Thought the nice weather might have kept people occupied elsewhere. That said we made a major purchase so I guess we are doing our part for the economy.

As for the job cuts mentioned, both are big employers with thousands of employees. 100 jobs between the two is not a lot and other employers are picking up the slack. You need to stop looking at those WARN Notices. They are not always accurate of actual layoffs. A person I know who works for a major insurer told me that larger companies file them all the time as they are evaluating employment levels. A lot of times they are planning to realign departments so they file the report in case they do have to do layoffs. People usually end up find jobs in other sections of the company instead. Is not necessarily real unless they are announced. Jay

Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Just saw that the Mass Mutual layoffs were announced. Should have checked before commenting. Still what I said about the WARN Notices is true. Jay

MassMutual to lay off 100 at Enfield office | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 02-22-2016, 04:31 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
Ion Torrent, another massively parallel sequencing technology developed by Rothberg is located in Guilford. It was purchased by Life Technologies and then Life Tech was aquired by thermo fisher. The Ion Torrent brand is nowhere near market share of Illumina--the biggest name in the biz--but it's still a promising technology. The real question is, will Thermo Fisher keep the Guilford location open long term? A few colleagues of mine there share some fears. Things seem stable enough right now, but Thermo Fisher could consolidate the operation to any number of their R&D labs.
Rothberg and associates are currently at odds with some vocal opponents who do not want to see further development of the marina area. I don't know if Ion Torrent's facility is in the same complex as The Rothberg Institute, but the opposition of locals could be a reason for Thermo Fisher to relocate their activities. Interesting story to follow.

-N

Old 02-22-2016, 05:11 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:

Boehringer is the bigger potential problem, given their statements about considering curtailing capital spending here after the tax hikes. Due to GE and AETNA their comments got scant attention , but merited more.

http://us.boehringer-ingelheim.com/n...increases.html

Old 02-22-2016, 05:21 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Did anyone see this big news?

Report: United Technologies, Honeywell In Merger Talks - Hartford Courant

I've worked for both companies, and if this goes through, it will be a bloodbath for jobs in high cost regions, including CT.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:31 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

I've worked for both companies, and if this goes through, it will be a bloodbath for jobs in high cost regions, including CT.

No! Yikes! Mergers are lethal, as they all too often create duplicate departments for the new corp, and then they pay for themselves by deep sixing staff.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:53 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:

This will never go through.

Makes you wonder though, why is utc even entertaining bids?

My guess nothing will happen from this.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:01 AM

678 posts, read 846,954 times
Not happening

United Tech says a deal with Honeywell would face major challenges | Reuters

Old 02-23-2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:

The Courant reported this morning that the talks have ended and are not going forward due to regulatory issues. Keep in mind though that Honeywell is based in Morris Plains, New Jersey which is a lot pricier than Farmington and the tax rates are higher. May not have been the concern some here would like to have made it. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut