Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2023, 10:24 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And I wouldn’t count Sikorsky out quite yet for the Blackhawk replacement. It was a highly questionable selection of Bell. Will see. Jay
You need high tech weapons and aircraft like laser weapons, AI, alien planes like B-21 especially with China and Russia

Sikorsky begins layoffs in CT in advance of decision on Army contract

Against the uncertain outcome of a protest awarding a major contract to rival Bell, Sikorsky reportedly has begun layoffs in Stratford and Maryland, with those workers hitting a continuing strong job market for those with strong technical skills.

Sikorsky has begun job cuts among salaried employees not covered under union agreements, as reported by New Haven Biz. Sikorsky parent Lockheed Martin announced plans in January to eliminate 800 jobs in its rotary and mission systems division, without stating how many Sikorsky jobs could be cut. The company employed 8,000 people in Connecticut at last report, with its workforce expanding and ebbing over the years depending on military orders.

The cuts come as Sikorsky awaits an April decision by the Government Accountability Office on a U.S. Army decision to replace the Black Hawk helicopter with a tilt-rotor aircraft proposed by Bell and its Providence, R.I.-based parent Textron. Bell has already begun laying the plans for a new facility in Grand Prairie, Texas, to further develop systems for its V-280 Valor utility tilt-rotor, according to the Dallas Morning News.

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...c=rdctpdensecp

Old 03-20-2023, 03:34 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
You need high tech weapons and aircraft like laser weapons, AI, alien planes like B-21 especially with China and Russia

Sikorsky begins layoffs in CT in advance of decision on Army contract

Against the uncertain outcome of a protest awarding a major contract to rival Bell, Sikorsky reportedly has begun layoffs in Stratford and Maryland, with those workers hitting a continuing strong job market for those with strong technical skills.

Sikorsky has begun job cuts among salaried employees not covered under union agreements, as reported by New Haven Biz. Sikorsky parent Lockheed Martin announced plans in January to eliminate 800 jobs in its rotary and mission systems division, without stating how many Sikorsky jobs could be cut. The company employed 8,000 people in Connecticut at last report, with its workforce expanding and ebbing over the years depending on military orders.

The cuts come as Sikorsky awaits an April decision by the Government Accountability Office on a U.S. Army decision to replace the Black Hawk helicopter with a tilt-rotor aircraft proposed by Bell and its Providence, R.I.-based parent Textron. Bell has already begun laying the plans for a new facility in Grand Prairie, Texas, to further develop systems for its V-280 Valor utility tilt-rotor, according to the Dallas Morning News.

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...c=rdctpdensecp
Not surprised. Barring a miracle from God, Those in the know, the high ups, know it's over.
It's now a small order, parts and service shop.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:55 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Not surprised. Barring a miracle from God, Those in the know, the high ups, know it's over.
It's now a small order, parts and service shop.
I am glad Sikorsky is being proactive in right-sizing now, as opposed to waiting for a Hail Mary pass to work.

Old 03-20-2023, 05:34 PM

7,926 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Regardless of what it is and who keep in mind military contracts are with the company, not the community. Federal contracts cannot legally indicated a fixed place.

Look at the CRRC MA contract in Mass. They went without federal funding to insure the factory would be in mass. I mention this because Electric Boat has places in Newport. If they really can't get those 5,000 people don't surprised if they have to build another facility for this. I've heard rumors of Fall River and New Bedford. 5,000 is quite a large number to hire. The unemployment rate is 3.9% in CT and 3.4% nationwide. I don't see that much for new housing in Eastern CT let alone inventory on the market. Fall River and New Bedford are by the sea and have rail to Boston in 14 months. Ct has to do something at this point

Old 03-20-2023, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Regardless of what it is and who keep in mind military contracts are with the company, not the community. Federal contracts cannot legally indicated a fixed place.

Look at the CRRC MA contract in Mass. They went without federal funding to insure the factory would be in mass. I mention this because Electric Boat has places in Newport. If they really can't get those 5,000 people don't surprised if they have to build another facility for this. I've heard rumors of Fall River and New Bedford. 5,000 is quite a large number to hire. The unemployment rate is 3.9% in CT and 3.4% nationwide. I don't see that much for new housing in Eastern CT let alone inventory on the market. Fall River and New Bedford are by the sea and have rail to Boston in 14 months. Ct has to do something at this point
You should watch the YT video of a Planning and Dev meeting JayCT posted in the Deseg thread. The EB and lack of housing in eastern CT to accomodate 5K new workers is mentioned.

Do RI and MA have launch ramps and draft in place able to accomodate dropping massive subs into sea once completed? If not, what environmental obstacles would they have to face if they needed to dredge one out. EB isn't going anywhere.

Old 03-20-2023, 07:10 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
You should watch the YT video of a Planning and Dev meeting JayCT posted in the Deseg thread. The EB and lack of housing in eastern CT to accomodate 5K new workers is mentioned.

Do RI and MA have launch ramps and draft in place able to accomodate dropping massive subs into sea once completed? If not, what environmental obstacles would they have to face if they needed to dredge one out. EB isn't going anywhere.
Eastern Connecticut is certainly one of the most affordable and least dense parts of the state. It certainly has room for more housing if the demand is there. Jay

Old 03-20-2023, 07:55 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Hopefully, ESPN will not face deep cuts as Disney needs to shed cost throughout the organization.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:56 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post

I’m not sure what CRRC MA has to do with this but things don’t sound promising for their factory in Springfield. CRRC MA is a Chinese company that’s building rail cars for the MTA. Federal money can’t be used for new rail cars made by them. Not many transit companies don’t use federal money so the future looks bleak for their 250 employees after they complete their current contracts. Jay

https://www.masslive.com/news/2023/0...line-cars.html

Old 03-21-2023, 06:44 AM

9,884 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:

I don't think they could get it done in MA due to the amount of time it would take for approvals. I'd be more concerned about EB coordinating with the Navy to do the work at one of the Naval Shipyards:

Norfolk, VA
Portsmouth, NH
Bremerton, WA
Pearl Harbor, HI.

Old 03-21-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I don't think they could get it done in MA due to the amount of time it would take for approvals. I'd be more concerned about EB coordinating with the Navy to do the work at one of the Naval Shipyards:

Norfolk, VA
Portsmouth, NH
Bremerton, WA
Pearl Harbor, HI.
Or the Navy could just build their own. Why not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut