Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2023, 12:12 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

EB is doing well, but Sikorsky order flow is not very promising.

It never seems to be both doing well or poorly.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:24 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
Think you are the one missing the point. When people and the news talk, think and print stories about tech companies, no one is thinking of defense contractors or manufacturers. CT is doing great with defense contractors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnho771 View Post
Think you are missing my point. Yes it is a defense contractor. But it also is a big tech company. And great to see a big tech company doing well in CT right now.

Old 03-11-2023, 12:27 PM

1,241 posts, read 901,324 times
Sloan will be likely to have some grads- both undergrad and MBA- who are looking at careers in marketing, finance and possibly logistics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Much of this is accurate. I’m not sure MIT grads have marketing, finance and logistics on their radar.

EB is safe in New London. For eternity. Not sure Boston has available land to house massive production facilities directly adjacent to a port that has the depth to launch huge subs. They would to have to deal with many obstacles, including dredging harbors, environmental impacts, an absolute nightmare. It would be a massive undertaking with astronomical costs.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:30 PM

370 posts, read 155,239 times
Quote:
Hope EB doesn't plan to move to Boston to be closer to MIT to recruit for all their new jobs. Seriously, if EB has no problem filling positions in CT for a technologically advanced sub making company, why can't a toy maker recruit the right talent for positions in CT?
This is one of the dumbest comments I’ve read on this thread.

Comparing different companies, in different industries/sectors, with different talent, in different parts of the state, is completely pointless.

If you honestly don’t understand why Lego in Enfield would be different than defense/manufacturing/engineering in an area of the state/country known for it, I can’t really help you.

Old 03-11-2023, 07:43 PM

370 posts, read 155,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
They don’t have to give any messaging. Nor do I.
The fact is that 700 jobs in the state will be replaced by 5700 at EB. That’s it, just the numbers.
You’re right. The largest for profit employer in CT is growing, that’s a good thing. They will get bigger and continue to be the biggest.

It’s certainly amazing news.

Hypothetically if CT were to lose 2 major employers and 1500 jobs but their biggest employer adds 2000 jobs, is that a “net positive” for CT?

I have no idea. Depends who you are.

Engineering has one of the highest percentage of professional careers with single men. They also have one of the highest rates of saving and 401K balances. They spend less money on average. Is that good for CT? I have no idea.

Old 03-11-2023, 08:58 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHW2436 View Post
You’re right. The largest for profit employer in CT is growing, that’s a good thing. They will get bigger and continue to be the biggest.

It’s certainly amazing news.

Hypothetically if CT were to lose 2 major employers and 1500 jobs but their biggest employer adds 2000 jobs, is that a “net positive” for CT?

I have no idea. Depends who you are.

Engineering has one of the highest percentage of professional careers with single men. They also have one of the highest rates of saving and 401K balances. They spend less money on average. Is that good for CT? I have no idea.
I don’t know either. You stumped me. I got a free ride because I could catch a ball in the air before it hit the ground, throw it back in to some guy with his hands in the air as if I didn’t know where to throw it and then stand there and wait for another one to come, that’s it. It wasn’t for brains that’s for sure.
Here’s what I do know. CT is tops in the nation in disposable income and probably number one in disposing disposable income. CT knows how to have a good time. The economy gets by just fine.

Old 03-11-2023, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Think you are missing my point. Yes it is a defense contractor. But it also is a big tech company. And great to see a big tech company doing well in CT right now.
CT has no Big Tech presence of any significance unless you count Amazon distribution centers.
Just because McDonalds HQ has an IT helpdesk dept. doesn’t mean McDonalds is Big Tech.

Old 03-12-2023, 06:31 AM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Any upcoming conflict between the US and China is going to be centered on the Pacific Ocean. That means a greater need for submarines, warships, missiles and stealth aircraft. Helicopters won't play a big role in such a conflict.

Old 03-12-2023, 07:31 AM

14,044 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

A conflict between China and USA or arms race you looking for high tech aircraft, high tech missiles, high tech drones, high tech lasers that light up the sky, high tech submarines and more. Sikorsky not going play big role like others with helicopters.

Old 03-12-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Sloan will be likely to have some grads- both undergrad and MBA- who are looking at careers in marketing, finance and possibly logistics.
I thought you meant Sloan Kettering. Who knew MIT had a finance business school? (Rhetorical)
What the point of going to MIT then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut