Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2021, 07:07 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
This is terrific to see. Partnerships are a key component of improving our relationships with business.

I'd also like to see Lamont attend CBIA & Chamber of Commerce meetings, all over the state.

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...tv4-story.html
I’m pretty sure he has been doing that but there are only so many hours in a day.

Related to this though is that Pratt & Whitney saw a 25% increase in sales in the 3rd quarter. That’s very good news since the aviation industry was hit hard by the pandemic. Similarly but not as impressive, Collins Aerospace saw a 7.3% increase. Still good news. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...y7e-story.html

Old 10-27-2021, 07:22 AM

Connecticut is fifth in the nation for the number of days the state could run on its reserves in the Rainy Day Fund. That is amazing. State law prevents the state from adding much more to the fund so wisely the state is pouring the surplus money into advanced payments into the state pension funds. That’s good fiscal policy which is refreshing since the state hasn’t seen that in decades. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2021/10/27/just...dget-reserves/

Old 10-27-2021, 07:28 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Connecticut is fifth in the nation for the number of days the state could run on its reserves in the Rainy Day Fund. That is amazing. State law prevents the state from adding much more to the fund so wisely the state is pouring the surplus money into advanced payments into the state pension funds. That’s good fiscal policy which is refreshing since the state hasn’t seen that in decades. Jay

https://ctmirror.org/2021/10/27/just...dget-reserves/
And I'd like to thank Connecticut taxpayers for making this possible.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
And I'd like to thank Connecticut taxpayers for making this possible.
It REALLY would be refreshing if the state actually cut taxes. That’s something not seen in decades either. Jay

Old 10-27-2021, 08:20 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,723,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It REALLY would be refreshing if the state actually cut taxes. That’s something not seen in decades either. Jay
In this state? Good luck. The reason we haven't seen it is because our lawmakers spend money like drunken sailors in Times Square. I realize they still cling to this idea that we have an affirmative obligation to create this utopian society, but that quest isn't going too well, so it's time to abandon this school of thought. Simply throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away, but there's an inability to recognize this. You and I do, but that doesn't mean our elected officials do. I wish they were as eager to see the private sector flourish as they are in their belief that the government can solve every problem, because it can't.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:28 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,818,729 times
Sometimes if you cut taxes whatever it was paying for goes to a lower level and then the taxes go up there. If towns pick it up then the property taxes might increase etc.

Just justify spending. Have opencheckbook for payments for vendors and employees. Show all contractors for all bids and labor agreements.

The thing is everything created means some form of long term costs. It could be a road, bridge, building etc. Upkeep isn't something to brag about but being able to have continuity of services is a good thing. There's also way too much local politics when there shouldn't be. Other states don't have a town clerk being a republican or democrat, they should work in the best interests of the position and the town they service, *not* the party.

Some things cost more upfront but will last longer. I had a fair amount of gutters put up a few months back. Who the heck buys vinyl gutters? Outside of maybe a trailer park or maybe a cottage I can't see the customer base.

Old 10-27-2021, 11:26 AM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
A while back tourism revenue was mentioned, and we need it to rise sharply. The reason is simple: the Hotel Industry. 20 months into covid, it is obvious life has changed permanently. Business travel will never be at 2019 levels again, as behavior changed. Businesses realized some significant part (not all) of T(ravel) & E(ntertainment) expense could be replaced by remote meetings.

Hotels rely on 3 segments (1) Business paying list price, (2) Tourists paying close to it going at peak times, and (3) Weakest margin Priceline booked rooms and like sites in OFF peak months which is a race to the bottom in actual room rates.

They need Tourism stronger to offset a huge loss of profit via their one List Price segment-Business.

I am a big fan of STR data, but it has a weakness. It measures % occupancy, and its still low but better-mainly better though because 2021 vs 2019 there are far less OPEN hotels. Not just in Ct-in the nation. Fewer available rooms = less tax revenue. Less hotel jobs.

So I think we should promote tourism far more. I did notice the local 3 stars Priceline seemed to peak under $200 a night last month (usually highest rates in area month), and they approached $300 (3 star level) in 2019.

I think it is the fewer business night affect.

I hope Ct does a full court press to increase tourism revenue. It will help hotel staff greatly.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
In this state? Good luck. The reason we haven't seen it is because our lawmakers spend money like drunken sailors in Times Square. I realize they still cling to this idea that we have an affirmative obligation to create this utopian society, but that quest isn't going too well, so it's time to abandon this school of thought. Simply throwing money at a problem doesn't make it go away, but there's an inability to recognize this. You and I do, but that doesn't mean our elected officials do. I wish they were as eager to see the private sector flourish as they are in their belief that the government can solve every problem, because it can't.
I’m not sure that is true. Even the Republicans admitted that the state budget had been cut to the bone for services being provided. That is why they didn’t propose an alternative budget last year. We can argue if there are services that can be cut but beyond that, it’s no longer as black and white. Jay

Old 10-27-2021, 09:56 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Seems like a very low price for this company.

https://www.nhregister.com/business/...rc=nhrhpdesecp

Old 10-28-2021, 07:04 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
This is an excellent read about how CT business leaders, feel about CT's economic climate now & in the near future:

https://www.cbia.com/news/small-busi...-main-streets/

Cautiously optimistic, but labor shortages abound due mostly to the unskilled labor force.

Gov. Lamont should meet with this group to find out what training is needed, then task community colleges, trade schools, & Universities to change their offerings asap to mirror the needs of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut