Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2021, 01:21 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

[quote=JayCT;61424502]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

It’s incredible to me that you do not see the obvious flaws in this. Aren’t you a businessman?

The size of United has nothing to do with the accuracy of their data. It is one of hundreds of moving companies that serve our state. The data they give is only theirs so it is not comprehensive. Other movers could show completely different data.
As a businessman, size deeply matters. I've never seen anyone question ADP doing a jobs report. Like United, each #1 in their industry. I respect #1.

United has a large share of the market. 3.5x Allied's size, who was #1 at one time.

Most moving companies are like the closed Bridgeport West End Moving & Storage, a few dozen trucks. At 7,510 trucks, United dwarfs the true national movers (which I would group as 1,000 trucks, minimum, covering all 48 continental states with locations in the vast majority). Those with 1,000+ dwarf the Billy Bob's movers of the world , each with a few dozen trucks.

United also have many F1000 accounts, nationally.

I disregard all the small moving corps, which are best used for small distance moves only (day trips). They are a minor part of the industry.

Old 07-10-2021, 01:28 PM

[quote=JayCT;61424502]
Quote:

. United may offer the best rates to one state like Florida over another company so their numbers could be further skewed.
Actually, they are expensive, but offer premium service. My godson, his friends from college, and many other relatives have been moved by them..via their corps arranging the move. Great company, great service, but if one wants cheap, shop elsewhere.

Old 07-10-2021, 03:32 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,349,947 times
[quote=beach43ofus;61423357]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

https://yankeeinstitute.org/2020/01/...tates-in-2018/

The stats in this ^^^ article are devastating to the economic climate in CT. Rising condo insurance premiums in Florida can't possibly make a dent in the Billions upon Billions of CT income that has left. I hope Ned Lamont can slow this down. Lamont has increased CT's bond rating for the 1st time in 20 years, & that indirectly helps CT's economic climate.

I wish Lamont didn't have so many people in the state gov't, and in unions, working against him though. I've seen this play out before elsewhere, & the Governor lost out. Hopefuly, this time will be different.
I don't know how many ways I can say the same thing........

People have been retiring in CT and people have been retiring to FL and the south for decades. it's nothing new. Here is the thing. This is about MATH and per capita incomes. When people leave in CT someone from NYC WITH MORE MONEY takes their place.

GDP Per Capita by State 2019
#3 CT
#39 FL

Per Capita Income by State 2020
#1 CT......Wow CT hasn't been #1 for as long as I have been looking this up, AWESOME!

#26 FL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ersonal-income

As of 2020 by the website I put up CT IS #1 PER CAPITA IN INCOME. If you don't understand what PER CAPITA means I can't help you. If you don't understand what that critical phrase means I can't help you.

BTW.....GDP Per Capita is the real measure/strength of a state or country's economy. FL is #39 and CT is #3. If the CT economy was in the crapper (like you keep saying) we would be #39 and if FL was great you would be #3.

Thanks, this is awesome because there are many looking in from other states WHO DO UNDERSTAND PER CAPITA and they are seeing how strong CT really is.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:31 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
[quote=CTartist;61425397]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I don't know how many ways I can say the same thing........

People have been retiring in CT and people have been retiring to FL and the south for decades. it's nothing new. Here is the thing. This is about MATH and per capita incomes. When people leave in CT someone from NYC WITH MORE MONEY takes their place.

GDP Per Capita by State 2019
#3 CT
#39 FL

Per Capita Income by State 2020
#1 CT......Wow CT hasn't been #1 for as long as I have been looking this up, AWESOME!

#26 FL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ersonal-income

As of 2020 by the website I put up CT IS #1 PER CAPITA IN INCOME. If you don't understand what PER CAPITA means I can't help you. If you don't understand what that critical phrase means I can't help you.

BTW.....GDP Per Capita is the real measure/strength of a state or country's economy. FL is #39 and CT is #3. If the CT economy was in the crapper (like you keep saying) we would be #39 and if FL was great you would be #3.

Thanks, this is awesome because there are many looking in from other states WHO DO UNDERSTAND PER CAPITA and they are seeing how strong CT really is.
I have a question (it’s a serious question). Doesn’t the per capita income get skewed in certain ways to make it look more positive or negative? For example on investopdia.com , they they state “let's say a town has a total population of 50 people who are earning $500,000 per year, and 1,000 people earning $25,000 per year. We calculate the per capita income as ($500,000 * 50) + (1,000 * $25,000) to arrive at $50,000,000 in total income. When we divide $50,000,000 / 1,050 (total population), the per capita income is $47,619 for the town.”

So if FFC has a good amount of people making $1m a year and the same Qty of people in NE CT making $35,000, won’t that really impact the income per capita income and skew it higher. By in reality the FFC people are doing well and the NE CT people might be struggling. But the overall number is high but only a very small portion of the population is reaping the rewards.

I’m just curious. I think CT is doing really good and it seems to be on the right path.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:37 PM

[quote=Mr_250;61426633]
Quote:

I have a question (it’s a serious question). Doesn’t the per capita income get skewed in certain ways to make it look more positive or negative? For example on investopdia.com , they they state “let's say a town has a total population of 50 people who are earning $500,000 per year, and 1,000 people earning $25,000 per year. We calculate the per capita income as ($500,000 * 50) + (1,000 * $25,000) to arrive at $50,000,000 in total income. When we divide $50,000,000 / 1,050 (total population), the per capita income is $47,619 for the town.”

So if FFC has a good amount of people making $1m a year and the same Qty of people in NE CT making $35,000, won’t that really impact the income per capita income and skew it higher.

I’m just curious. I think CT is doing really good and it seems to be on the right path.
Great point. We are #1 in raw average which you describe, fairly high but several ranks lower in the more meaningful median income. Median is simply this. If a town has 20,001 people working, the one earning the 10,001st most income is the median. He/she is ahead of 10,000 and below 10,000. We ranked 7th in household median income in 2020. I have yet to see a website rank individual median income by state.

Old 07-10-2021, 07:57 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
As a businessman, size deeply matters. I've never seen anyone question ADP doing a jobs report. Like United, each #1 in their industry. I respect #1.

United has a large share of the market. 3.5x Allied's size, who was #1 at one time.

Most moving companies are like the closed Bridgeport West End Moving & Storage, a few dozen trucks. At 7,510 trucks, United dwarfs the true national movers (which I would group as 1,000 trucks, minimum, covering all 48 continental states with locations in the vast majority). Those with 1,000+ dwarf the Billy Bob's movers of the world , each with a few dozen trucks.

United also have many F1000 accounts, nationally.

I disregard all the small moving corps, which are best used for small distance moves only (day trips). They are a minor part of the industry.
Quote:
Actually, they are expensive, but offer premium service. My godson, his friends from college, and many other relatives have been moved by them..via their corps arranging the move. Great company, great service, but if one wants cheap, shop elsewhere.
Size does not matter. They don’t monopolize the market so their data is incomplete at best. Long distance moving isn’t cheap but again they could be cheaper than the others in move to particular areas. That could skew the data. The whole point is that statistically their data is incomplete so the conclusions they draw from it are questionable. Jay

Old 07-10-2021, 08:13 PM

[quote=Mr_250;61426633]
Quote:

So if FFC has a good amount of people making $1m a year and the same Qty of people in NE CT making $35,000, won’t that really impact the income per capita income and skew it higher. By in reality the FFC people are doing well and the NE CT people might be struggling. But the overall number is high but only a very small portion of the population is reaping the rewards.

Yes, that could be true but remember this is the same in all states so they too could have areas that aren’t doing well but they are offset by areas that are doing better. It’s just the nature of these statistics.

A very telling statistic I think is that the median household income and median family income in ALL counties in our state exceeds the national median incomes. And that only Windham County falls below the national per capita income. Even that is only a few hundred bucks difference. Jay

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

Old 07-10-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Size does not matter. They don’t monopolize the market so their data is incomplete at best. Long distance moving isn’t cheap but again they could be cheaper than the others in move to particular areas. That could skew the data. The whole point is that statistically their data is incomplete so the conclusions they draw from it are questionable. Jay
I disagree, as 7,510 trucks, 1.2 million families moved is a sampling size any polling firm can only dream of. Plus you may not have noticed they have just as many trucks as the 2nd and 3rd largest moving companies COMBINED behind them. I do not think they can grow, without risking anti-trust action.

Now the 1.2 million would be mainly professional class folks given their price point, immense service, and the type of clients they market to.

UHaul gets the budget conscious, blue collar self made moves.

Old 07-11-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I disagree, as 7,510 trucks, 1.2 million families moved is a sampling size any polling firm can only dream of. Plus you may not have noticed they have just as many trucks as the 2nd and 3rd largest moving companies COMBINED behind them. I do not think they can grow, without risking anti-trust action.

Now the 1.2 million would be mainly professional class folks given their price point, immense service, and the type of clients they market to.

UHaul gets the budget conscious, blue collar self made moves.
Let me ask you this, do you judge the stock market based on the performance of just one stock? Would you blindly just go with one financial institution if you want a loan without checking what others are offering for loan rates? Do you not research multiple cars when buying a vehicle? This is no different.

You obviously are not a statistician, have zero understanding of the practice and why comprehensive and complete data is important. Either that or you are liking what that data says because it fits your agenda. So much for objectivity. I find that incredibly sad. But hey, it just is yet one more thing to make people question some posters credibility. Jay

Old 07-11-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Let me ask you this, do you judge the stock market based on the performance of just one stock? Would you blindly just go with one financial institution if you want a loan without checking what others are offering for loan rates?
This corp is more like Fidelity (which has hundreds of offerings for just 401ks, with dozens to hundreds of stocks in each one) than a single stock, Jay, with a massive fleet, massive quantity of locations, market share the largest by a mile, equal to the next 2 largest combined. The ADP style market share of corp professional class relocations. That means, to be frank, its end clients exceed the US median income and education, and again, 1.2 million households moved in a decade. In 2019, Connecticut had 1.37 million households.

This is a huge enterprise.

I trust market leaders, especially when they dwarf their competition in size, as is the case with this corporation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut