Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2019, 10:46 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
My source was in my original post, which was quoted.

True. And the 26% lower income of new residents is a source that has been posted on this forum many times. I’ll find it tomorrow and repost.
Bloomberg column confirmed the 26% gap between Ct exiting population and entering population.

Old 11-16-2019, 11:42 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Where does it say that Connecticut residents are taking their jobs with them when they leave? It doesn’t.

Also No. 1 on the income growth list is West Virginia. Does that mean they have a booming economy that is drawing jobs from affluent states?

The links I provided show that the majority of the jobs being added in Florida are low wage jobs and Florida’s average wages are still well under the national average. Jay
I could have worded my previous post better because I think my point wasn’t clear. There are many financial jobs moving to FL (I think we covered this with links etc about 100 pages ago, so I won’t go into much detail with it). But even while some new jobs aren’t hedge fund wages (because they can’t all be), wouldn’t it be better than no jobs?

Incomes only tell part of the story. Midland TX was number one for income, but it doesn’t mean they are booming. It’s really difficult to dispute that FL has an excellent economic outlook as of right now. In most of the sources provided in this thread, FL always ranks incredibly high in fiscal health (low tax burden, sharp increase in income, job creation, etc). Connecticut always seems to rank very low.

That being said, FL is a large state and there are many areas that are impoverished and I’d never consider living. Ocala, panhandle, much of central Florida (including Orlando), etc. It’s not all Tampa, Sarasota, Naples, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm - which is the metros much of the boom is occurring.

The 2020 census will tell us a lot.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:50 PM

332 posts, read 217,762 times
Quote:
That being said, FL is a large state and there are many areas that are impoverished and I’d never consider living. Ocala, panhandle, much of central Florida (including Orlando), etc. It’s not all Tampa, Sarasota, Naples, Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm - which is the metros much of the boom is occurring.

The 2020 census will tell us a lot.
Central Florida is not impoverished. Quite the opposite actually. There are several affluent suburbs surrounding Orlando such as Windermere, Winter Park, Maitland, Lake Mary, Heathrow, Dr. Phillips to name a few. The Orlando metro area is one of the most expensive metros to live in in the entire country.

Old 11-16-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
Central Florida is not impoverished. Quite the opposite actually. There are several affluent suburbs surrounding Orlando such as Windermere, Winter Park, Maitland, Lake Mary, Heathrow, Dr. Phillips to name a few. The Orlando metro area is one of the most expensive metros to live in in the entire country.
I didn’t mean Orlando is impoverished. I would just never live there.

Old 11-16-2019, 01:35 PM

NBC NY just posted this on FB:

“A new report shows nearly half of Connecticut households have an income that's insufficient to cover their basic needs.

The Connecticut Self-Sufficiency Standard Report, released by the Connecticut Office of Health Care Strategy and State Comptroller Kevin Lembo, finds that 44 to 48% of Connecticut households are below the self-sufficiency standard.”

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...FlowFB_NYBrand

What do you guys think of this? I find it to be way overstated and quite misleading.

Old 11-16-2019, 02:42 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times
[quote=kidyankee764;56653713]NBC NY just posted this on FB:

“A new report shows nearly half of Connecticut households have an income that's insufficient to cover their basic needs.

The Connecticut Self-Sufficiency Standard Report, released by the Connecticut Office of Health Care Strategy and State Comptroller Kevin Lembo, finds that 44 to 48% of Connecticut households are below the self-sufficiency standard.”

What do you guys think of this? I find it to be way overstated and quite misleading.[/QUOTE

Raise taxes of course!

Old 11-16-2019, 03:45 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
NBC NY just posted this on FB:

Vey sad, but it would not surprise me.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:45 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
I don't even see the Orlando area on this list but I may be missing it. It doesn't appear it is one of the most expensive areas to live in.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...GDP_per_capita

Also on this map the incomes in the middle of FL are the lowest. I am sure there are some expensive towns in and about Orlando but most areas (even cheaper areas) have those kind of towns.
https://www.census.gov/library/visua...-counties.html

Old 11-16-2019, 06:15 PM

34,925 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Here’s a twist, Hartford has been named by a Realtor.com as one of the country’s best places to raise a family without going broke. It talks about Hartford but also mentions Simsbury so I’m guessing it’s Greater Hartford. Nice. Jay

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...ros-in-the-us/

Old 11-17-2019, 02:24 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Here’s a twist, Hartford has been named by a Realtor.com as one of the country’s best places to raise a family without going broke. It talks about Hartford but also mentions Simsbury so I’m guessing it’s Greater Hartford. Nice. Jay

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...ros-in-the-us/

I have been posting articles like this for some years now on here.

Connecticut in it's entirety gets a bad rap when Fairfied County is always in the "Most Expensive Places to Live" lists. But I am doing my homework and know that I can retire someplace out of Fairfield County in CT and should be comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut