Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2019, 09:25 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I'm sitting in my car in my driveway and can see THREE empty houses.drive the neighborhood and there are more
Isn’t this a problem that New Britain has had for decades though? You find this in urban areas across the country, not just here. Jay

Old 10-08-2019, 12:57 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
Quote:
I'm sitting in my car in my driveway and can see THREE empty houses.drive the neighborhood and there are more

That's because you live in New Britain. No one has ever said "when I grow up and get a job I want to buy a house in New Britain."

Old 10-08-2019, 01:24 PM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
WWE, KPMG and Perkins Eastman have pretty much filled the old UBS building. Also Charter Communications is building their new 777,000 square foot headquarters in Stamford. Indeed is adding 500 jobs there too. Sema4 is building a 70,000 square foot lab in Stamford for 300 researchers. Diageo is moving offices to downtown Stamford. Bank of America is expanding to 115,000 square feet at 600 Washington. CA
Posting this does not make it true. BoA has not "expanded" into Stamford. It has a completely empty diaster recovery where RBS trading floor was housed. It has been this way for well over year. There are no employees nor added economic activity.

Old 10-08-2019, 02:00 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's because you live in New Britain. No one has ever said "when I grow up and get a job I want to buy a house in New Britain."
Isn't that where you currently live, though?

Old 10-08-2019, 02:04 PM

6,873 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
No one has ever said "when I grow up and get a job I want to buy a house in New Britain."
Why not?
What should they say "When I grow up I want to lose a job and I want to live in a tent under a bridge"

Old 10-08-2019, 02:22 PM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
Quote:
Not everyone can afford West Hartford, Farmington, or even Newington.

Hey, we have a new bridge over rt9 that looks cool at night when its lit.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:02 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Not everyone can afford West Hartford, Farmington, or even Newington.

Hey, we have a new bridge over rt9 that looks cool at night when its lit.
But it’s cheap because it’s less desirable, so an empty house isn’t a shocker.

An empty abandoned house is pretty unheard of here. A developer just bought one that was sitting empty and overgrown on Cherry St. for a pretty penny.

https://patch.com/connecticut/milfor...d-be-developed

Old 10-08-2019, 07:10 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Please stop the bickering. JayCT, Moderator

Old 10-08-2019, 09:12 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
But it’s cheap because it’s less desirable, so an empty house isn’t a shocker.

An empty abandoned house is pretty unheard of here. A developer just bought one that was sitting empty and overgrown on Cherry St. for a pretty penny.

https://patch.com/connecticut/milfor...d-be-developed
About five years ago it was said there were 18 million empty homes in the country. But there can be a wide number of reasons for this. It might not be to code, might not be finished etc

Having said this though they still need upkeep and taxes to get paid.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:37 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Isn’t this a problem that New Britain has had for decades though? You find this in urban areas across the country, not just here. Jay
Agreed. Everyone needs somewhere to live. For many people working in lower-wage professions the cities are the last options for affordability. One of the benefits of living in New Britain is that there is a wide variety of choices including many nice neighborhoods that are affordable. Yes the property taxes are higher on a mill-rate basis but the home prices are lower and the total monthly cost is less. A similar home in the neighboring town of West Hartford has both high property taxes and a higher home price putting it out of reach for many people.

The city has many positive things taking place. Broad Street is better today than it was 10 or 15 years ago. Low mortgage rates have encouraged investors to buy some of the homes in need of repair, fix them up and return them to the market as affordable homes for first time buyers and lower income earners. One of the challenges of areas like New Britain are the impact that cost of living has on seniors. New Britain has a number of people who have lived there for many decades and worked in manufacturing, trades and other blue collar jobs. They are living on modest pensions and/or Social Security and have limited ability to make the necessary repairs to their properties since their monthly income is needed to support their general living expenses.

Property taxes and sales taxes are bigger factors than income taxes for many seniors living in cities like New Britain since many have incomes below the threshold for CT income tax or are in the lowest bracket. Property taxes looked at on a total dollar basis may be average for CT but the incomes of the residents are significantly below average thus the struggle. This is a not unique to CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut