Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 08:07 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
Wow..okay. This is what I'm telling you..having experienced the summers in Fort Lauderdale and CT, the heat and humidity FEELS worse up here.

Have you ever lived in Fort Lauderdale?
Maybe it's because it's hot and humid every single day in Florida that it doesn't feel as bad as up here when it's a sudden shock to people.

Sort of like 29 degrees "feeling" colder in northern florida. Their body is not used to it and it's "sudden shock". I've seen people shivering in 50 degree weather when they fly back to ct from florida. It's a shock to the body.

There's a reason people fly back from florida in summer to northern area's. Snowbirds. They can't take the brutal heat and humidity. Honestly, ct is nothing compared to Florida. DC, which is hotter than ct, is nothing compared to florida.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
No way is the humidity worse up here than in Florida. I lived in Sarasota for 2 months summer 04..it was the worst experience of my life..plain disgusting down there in summer. Even the most humid day up here does not match that. By May the Florida sun was burning a hole in you . Sure when we get hot and humid its nasty, but they have it for 6 straight months EVERY year. Now if you are saying Ft. Lauderdale is that much different than Sarasota than so be it. I can't speak on that as I have never lived there.
Everywhere in Florida is hot and humid. There's no relief anywhere. Some area's are little hotter than other's, but the whole state is a tropical steam box during summer. The big difference in temps is outside of summer. That's where you see big differences between northern/southern and coastal/inland. Miami is hot year round. Jacksonville can actually drop to the freezing mark and have days in the 50s. Normal highs are in the low 60s in January in jacksonville vs. mid 70s in miami. Miami never see's a hard freeze. Northern fringe of Florida sees it every year multiple times.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:44 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,172 times
Quote:
man, your reading comprehension isn't great..lol. What I actually said was that ONE block from the beach is not as hot as inland CT. I actually have spent many summers down there..you? Also, I'm talking about Fort Lauderdale, not Sarasota...there is a difference.
I spent quite a few summer months working in Florida, basically commuting between Tampa and Homestead and Key Largo.

It was always hotter and more oppressive in Tampa. The Keys had (1) lower temperatures and (2) a persistent tropical breeze. Much nicer.

Old 07-15-2013, 09:04 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,204,302 times
There isn't really any reprieve in FL. It's like that for at least 4 months. In CT it is about 6-8 weeks.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:24 AM

83,506 posts, read 75,260,686 times
First, I was comparing the suburbs of Atlanta. My sister, uncle and neighbor lived there for over 10yrs so when they say the humidty is worse here, I believe them. I also read something on that which gave the reasons for it (cant find it!)

Second.. which years did you want to compare Florida to CT? This year you wouldnt win. Most years you would. Take a look at Miami who havent been in the 90s this month which is below normal. They havent had an above normal day since June 22nd, Meanwhile Bridgeport hasnt had a below normal night since June 21st!

By average standards Miami has been cooler than Bridgeport. When Bridgeport's numbers are similar to Miami thats just crazy.

Finally... here's the temperature departure last 30 days... I'd rather be in the south this summer than CT. Thats for sure. Lot's of below normal areas down there.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
First, I was comparing the suburbs of Atlanta. My sister, uncle and neighbor lived there for over 10yrs so when they say the humidty is worse here, I believe them. I also read something on that which gave the reasons for it (cant find it!)

Second.. which years did you want to compare Florida to CT? This year you wouldnt win. Most years you would. Take a look at Miami who havent been in the 90s this month which is below normal. They havent had an above normal day since June 22nd, Meanwhile Bridgeport hasnt had a below normal night since June 21st!

By average standards Miami has been cooler than Bridgeport. When Bridgeport's numbers are similar to Miami thats just crazy.

Finally... here's the temperature departure last 30 days... I'd rather be in the south this summer than CT. Thats for sure. Lot's of below normal areas down there.
Yes this is the hottest July on record in ct so far. Unless something drastic happens, it will blow away the records with this upcoming week of temps.

Average high/low in miami = Miami, Florida Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase)
July= 88/75 for high/low average

Orlando, Florida Travel Weather Averages (Weatherbase)
July= 92/73
October in Orlando is similar to our normal July in CT!

Also mean number of days above 90 degrees,
http://www.sercc.com/climateinfo/historical/mean90.html

Orlando average 105 a year vs about 16 for bdl and even less for bridgeport. Miami averages 63, but they have so many days of like 88/89 degrees with low temps barely getting below 80

Last edited by mikelizard860; 07-16-2013 at 04:44 AM..

Old 07-16-2013, 06:01 AM

83,506 posts, read 75,260,686 times
High Temps: July 14, 2013 .

[BDL] WINDSOR LOCKS: 92°
[HFD] HARTFORD: 92°
[BDR] BRIDGEPORT: 90°
[MMK] MERIDEN: 90°
[IJD] WILLIMANTIC: 89°
[DXR] DANBURY: 89°
[HVN] NEW HAVEN: 88°
[GON] GROTON: 86°
[SNC] CHESTER: 86°
[OXC] OXFORD: 86°

High Temps: July 15, 2013 .

[HVN] NEW HAVEN: 95°
[BDL] WINDSOR LOCKS: 94°
[BDR] BRIDGEPORT: 94°
[GON] GROTON: 94°
[HFD] HARTFORD: 93°
[MMK] MERIDEN: 93°
[SNC] CHESTER: 93°
[IJD] WILLIMANTIC: 92°
[DXR] DANBURY: 91°
[OXC] OXFORD: 88°

Yesterday the heat was everywhere but I notice the coast was hotter than usual. New Haven and Groton not usually in the hottest spots.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:24 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times
Quote:
Wow..okay. This is what I'm telling you..having experienced the summers in Fort Lauderdale and CT, the heat and humidity FEELS worse up here.

Have you ever lived in Fort Lauderdale?

I have to agree with you on this one.

When I lived in a few parts of Florida (even Miami) the humidity in summer felt less intense than here in the CT/Tri-State area. It might be the stiffer breeze in coastal Florida (wind evaporates water and gives the skin a cooling sensation). However I also think there are other reasons that the humidity can feel worse in CT than Florida:

One reason might be that there is FAR less vegetation in many parts of Florida than in CT. Think about it – a typical residential street in Florida might have a few palms and other exotic plants (with waxy leaves) but they never have the dese, dark, tree canopy and dense vegetation that absorbs/holds in all that water. My backyard was terrible (buggy, always so humid, damp ground…etc.) when I first bought my CT house – then we cleared away all the trees and suddenly it was much nicer, the sun seemed to dry the ground faster, the gnats/mosquitoes were gone, and it felt far less humid. Now it’s the perfect patio area.

Another reason might be soils: Florida is very sandy and most of the rainfall quickly passes through the soil (and these more aerated sandy soils dry much faster). In CT, much of the soil is dark and loamy, and holds far more water than sandy soils (and drys much slower). I noticed after a rainfall in Florida the ground seems to dry very quickly; in CT the ground seems to stay damp longer. This might be why coastal CT is a less buggy than inland CT - the soils here on the coast are more sandy and the ground dries faster (and there are of course less trees).

Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I have to agree with you on this one.

When I lived in a few parts of Florida (even Miami) the humidity in summer felt less intense than here in the CT/Tri-State area. It might be the stiffer breeze in coastal Florida (wind evaporates water and gives the skin a cooling sensation). However I also think there are other reasons that the humidity can feel worse in CT than Florida:

One reason might be that there is FAR less vegetation in many parts of Florida than in CT. Think about it – a typical residential street in Florida might have a few palms and other exotic plants (with waxy leaves) but they never have the dese, dark, tree canopy and dense vegetation that absorbs/holds in all that water. My backyard was terrible (buggy, always so humid, damp ground…etc.) when I first bought my CT house – then we cleared away all the trees and suddenly it was much nicer, the sun seemed to dry the ground faster, the gnats/mosquitoes were gone, and it felt far less humid. Now it’s the perfect patio area.
I don't know. Vegetation HELPS! Ever been in nyc in a heat wave? Nothing worse than asphalt/concrete. It makes it feel even hotter. The tree's make it feel cooler.(shade from the sun). The sun makes as much a difference in how hot it feels as humidity. Probably more actually. A forest always feels cooler than a meadow/open field.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:39 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I don't know. Vegetation HELPS! Ever been in nyc in a heat wave? Nothing worse than asphalt/concrete. It makes it feel even hotter. The tree's make it feel cooler.(shade from the sun). The sun makes as much a difference in how hot it feels as humidity. Probably more actually. A forest always feels cooler than a meadow/open field.
Yes I have been in NYC in a heat wave and that is a good example of what is seems like (the vegetation issue):

It does feel hotter in the sun with the concrete/pavement, but is also feels DIRER as the sun burns off alot of the moisture. Now think about a buggy dense woods in CT that might be 10 F cooler, but with less sun and MUCH more moisture = horrible.

I think this is why many folks who use their backyard in CT often clear some (or all) of the trees - they are trying to dry things out.

In any event, pretty nice out there so far today - my temp is 77 F and the dew point is 67, it feels fairly nice out there this morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut