Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:25 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,344,816 times

Advertisements

I have a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop that runs with Vista Home Premium. It has been very slow booting up, loading the desktop and when the desktop screen appears and I click on a browser, it just freezes.

I'm thinking of swapping the hdd on the Dell with one that is on a working Compaq, Vista HP also.

Dell: 160GB SATA HD

Compaq: 120GB SATA HD

They're both original OEM. Will this simple swap work? Will I have to do anything with keys, etc?

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,719,393 times
Before you start swapping hard drives, the absolute best thing to do first would be to wipe/format the existing drive in the Dell and reinstall Windows. It sounds like there is not a problem with the hard drive per se, but an issue related to "junk programs" that get accumulated on a computer, especially if you are not running good security software. Also, everything from commercial versions of anti-virus software like McAfee to browser toolbars loading can consume a large amount of system resources and really bog down your system. Based on what you are describing, this is the far more likely problem than anything actually wrong with the hard drive. Backup anything important, format the drive and do a fresh Windows install and I think you will see a major difference.

As for swapping the drives, Windows itself is tied to the motherboard in the computer. That's what it uses for registration. If you swap the drive, then you will most likely need to re-register Windows. That's not too hard to do. After that, you will need to reinstall all of your drivers as I imagine the two PC's are rather different. So, you can swap the hard drives, but the 'good' recommendation there would also include reformatting the drive you are swapping over and starting with a clean Windows install.

I highly recommend the first option.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:30 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,013,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Will this simple swap work? Will I have to do anything with keys, etc?
No it will not work. If you boot the OS from the compaq in a Dell it will do one of two things. The most likely is it will blue screen, the second is it will boot to the desktop, attempt to load a bunch of new drivers, and promptly deactivate itself as it's licensed to run only on an HP/Compaq. Do not do it, you'll create more problems than you already have.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Before you start swapping hard drives, the absolute best thing to do first would be to wipe/format the existing drive in the Dell and reinstall Windows. It sounds like there is not a problem with the hard drive per se, but an issue related to "junk programs" that get accumulated on a computer, especially if you are not running good security software. Also, everything from commercial versions of anti-virus software like McAfee to browser toolbars loading can consume a large amount of system resources and really bog down your system. Based on what you are describing, this is the far more likely problem than anything actually wrong with the hard drive. Backup anything important, format the drive and do a fresh Windows install and I think you will see a major difference.

As for swapping the drives, Windows itself is tied to the motherboard in the computer. That's what it uses for registration. If you swap the drive, then you will most likely need to re-register Windows. That's not too hard to do. After that, you will need to reinstall all of your drivers as I imagine the two PC's are rather different. So, you can swap the hard drives, but the 'good' recommendation there would also include reformatting the drive you are swapping over and starting with a clean Windows install.

I highly recommend the first option.
It's worth a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Btw, the only antivirus s/w run on this pc is MSE.

Thanks!!

Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
No it will not work. If you boot the OS from the compaq in a Dell it will do one of two things. The most likely is it will blue screen, the second is it will boot to the desktop, attempt to load a bunch of new drivers, and promptly deactivate itself as it's licensed to run only on an HP/Compaq. Do not do it, you'll create more problems than you already have.
Thanks for the warning. I was wondering about that since they are both OEM hdds.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Thanks for the warning. I was wondering about that since they are both OEM hdds.
It's not the physical hard drive that's the problem, it's the Windows installation. You can take a Dell Windows load and stick it in an equivilent era Dell and as long as the hardware (mainly hard drive controller) is the same family it will boot and not deactivate itself, stick it in any non Dell and you loose the activation.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
This isn't 100% true. The builder versions are nothing more than OEM versions of Windows (which anyone can buy) with a product key issued to the particular computer it is in. If you swapped the drives, it would prompt you that your version of Windows was no longer registered (just as it would if you changed motherboards) and put you into "trial mode" for three days at the end of which you will be forced to complete the activation process.

This will most likely involve calling Microsoft and completing the automated activation or speaking to a live rep. Throughout you just need to be firm that you are only using this particular copy of Windows on ONE computer and ONE computer ONLY. Explain that you are simply replacing and/or swapping parts in a broken system and want to associate the Windows ID key to the new system. They will hit some buttons and oila, your Windows version is now legit and attached to the computer it is in.

I have used Dell and HP Windows keys for custom built replacement systems without a problem, you just have to follow the activation process and make it clear that you are only using that particular copy of Windows and its key on ONE computer. There is nothing special about the Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc. copies of Windows that ties them to the particular OEM system for life. When you buy one of those systems you are also buying a licensed copy of the OS that is yours to use.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Actually, as I stated it, it is 100% true. IT will either BSOD or you will loose the activation, nowhere did I discuss getting it reactivated.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
It's not the physical hard drive that's the problem, it's the Windows installation. You can take a Dell Windows load and stick it in an equivilent era Dell and as long as the hardware (mainly hard drive controller) is the same family it will boot and not deactivate itself, stick it in any non Dell and you loose the activation.
What you are describing isn't a Dell or HP issue, but just how Windows works. Windows ties its key to the ID of the motherboard (through the hard drive controller as you said). If you swap the hard drive or install that copy of Windows on another computer OR simply change the motherboard in the existing computer, it will flag the install as "unregistered" and require you to re-activate it. It doesn't matter if it's a Dell, HP, Lenovo, Asus or a custom built system, it will kick it back. All you have to do then is call Microsoft and go through the activation process with a rep to get it fixed.

When you buy a built system or a copy of Windows you are purchasing ONE (or more depending on retail version you purchased) install licenses. These are not permanently tied to a particular system and you are free to move your license to another system. You just can't have more than one computer associated with a single license.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Actually, as I stated it, it is 100% true. IT will either BSOD or you will loose the activation, nowhere did I discuss getting it reactivated.
...I guess I was just confused by the fact you seemingly described it as an unrecoverable issue or something uniquely tied to OEM system builds as in "you can't use an HP/Compaq copy of Windoes on a Dell", which as I said is not 100% true...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers