Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:57 PM

115 posts, read 306,940 times

Advertisements

I have an issue that's driving me nuts. I have downloaded several old TV shows that are AVI files. Knowing these files wouldn't work on my old dvd player, I bought a new one which specified that it plays AVI files. Well, it does not work as advertised and I would have returned it if it weren't for one show I burned to dvd that actually does work. Strangely, the one dvd that works is an AVI file.

For everything else, I see a menu but it doesn't actually play the show. The dvds that I have burned only play on computers and on Playstation 3s. I know because I tried them in two separate PS3 systems of friends. I do not feel like shelling out $200 bucks on a PS3 just to watch dvds I made myself.

Does anyone know of any real, legitimate (no viruses) software (even if I have to pay for it) that converts AVI files into DVDs that can be watched on any dvd player? I have already downloaded Any Video Converter, followed the directions for converting to dvds and it still does not work.

Last edited by RandomPersonInNY; 04-09-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,221,001 times
Avi to dvd - Avi2Dvd - The free avi to dvd converter tool

Old 04-10-2012, 01:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Firstly a AVI file is not format, it's a container file that can contain many types of video. You can use this tool to determine what codec was used to encode it:

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Quote:
Well, it does not work as advertised and I would have returned it if it weren't for one show I burned to dvd that actually does work. Strangely, the one dvd that works is an AVI file.
I'm assuming you're just burning these as data discs?

Under that assumption there is two possibilities I can think of off the top of my head. The one that does work is compatible with your disc player, additional formats like DIVX and being able to play data discs are extra features on a DVD player. What formats they will play will be listed in the manual.

The second possibility is the disc itself. Is by chance one a -R and the other a +R?

Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 AM

Thanks! I'll try this when the blank dvds I ordered get here.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Firstly a AVI file is not format, it's a container file that can contain many types of video. You can use this tool to determine what codec was used to encode it:

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

I'm assuming you're just burning these as data discs?

Under that assumption there is two possibilities I can think of off the top of my head. The one that does work is compatible with your disc player, additional formats like DIVX and being able to play data discs are extra features on a DVD player. What formats they will play will be listed in the manual.

The second possibility is the disc itself. Is by chance one a -R and the other a +R?
When I burn the discs, I do it straight from opening the file under Documents in Windows. The file opens and there's an option to burn. I don't know if that means it's a data disc?

The discs I used were all the same. I used Verbatim DVD+R dual layer 8.5gb. All the AVI files I have are also in DIVX, which is also a format that my new dvd player advertised as compatible with. Still, none of them play except that one tv show. Thanks for your response!

Old 04-10-2012, 02:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,118,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPersonInNY View Post
When I burn the discs, I do it straight from opening the file under Documents in Windows. The file opens and there's an option to burn. I don't know if that means it's a data disc?
If you're just burning the file that is a data disc, whether it will play in a DVD player depends on the DVD player. As I mentioned being able to play DIVX or other formats are extra features and they vary by player. I'd suggest using the tool I linked to above and see if it tells you any differences between the files that worked and didn't work.

"DVD" is actually a specification or standard that specifies the file formats, resolutions, file structure, bitrates etc. It also supports menus and other options. When you create one of these discs it is commonly referred to as an authored disc will play in any DVD player. If a DVD player displays the DVd logo it has to be able to play this type of disc, the same thing for the commercial discs you buy in the store. If they have the DVD logo on them they have to meet these specification.

To make one these discs you need authoring software. I'm a bit out of the loop so I don't know what the current popular one is but if you want to avoid the scam software try finding something here. there is a lot of all-in-one convert/authoring programs listed here for free:

Authoring (DVD) - VideoHelp.com Downloads

Quote:
The discs I used were all the same. I used Verbatim DVD+R
Verbatim is top brand, I doubt it's a problem with the discs. The reason I asked about the +R or -R is some DVD players will only play one or the other. Sometimes that won't play either. This shouldn't be a problem with most newer players, it mostly effects older players and ironically older high end players.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,691,367 times
Go to piratebay. Type in convertx.(make sure you dont update it) Love me later.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you're just burning the file that is a data disc, whether it will play in a DVD player depends on the DVD player. As I mentioned being able to play DIVX or other formats are extra features and they vary by player. I'd suggest using the tool I linked to above and see if it tells you any differences between the files that worked and didn't work.

"DVD" is actually a specification or standard that specifies the file formats, resolutions, file structure, bitrates etc. It also supports menus and other options. When you create one of these discs it is commonly referred to as an authored disc will play in any DVD player. If a DVD player displays the DVd logo it has to be able to play this type of disc, the same thing for the commercial discs you buy in the store. If they have the DVD logo on them they have to meet these specification.

To make one these discs you need authoring software. I'm a bit out of the loop so I don't know what the current popular one is but if you want to avoid the scam software try finding something here. there is a lot of all-in-one convert/authoring programs listed here for free:

Authoring (DVD) - VideoHelp.com Downloads

Verbatim is top brand, I doubt it's a problem with the discs. The reason I asked about the +R or -R is some DVD players will only play one or the other. Sometimes that won't play either. This shouldn't be a problem with most newer players, it mostly effects older players and ironically older high end players.
Ok I understand now! I will be trying all of this and seeing if it works...thanks again!

Old 04-10-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skel1977 View Post
Go to piratebay. Type in convertx.(make sure you dont update it) Love me later.
I get lots of stuff from piratebay...thank you!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:52 PM

After trying this and converting it with the DVD-MPEG-2 format (DVD VOB), now I'm getting "unknown disc" in my DVD player. I'll keep trying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers