Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,544,399 times

Advertisements

I intend to convert my old audio CDs to MP3s and put them on an Ipod.

When I convert the audio CDs to MP3, should I use Itunes only, or can I also convert them with Windows Media Player?

I have Windows7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 08:30 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,142,266 times
I use dBpoweramp. It's not free (although they have a free trial), but it's worth the money. Very simple yet powerful software.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 PM

To ask another way, if you convert to MP3, can you tell from examining the MP3 file, what program was used to make it?
There are certain restrictions on what you can put on your Ipod.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:15 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,849,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
To ask another way, if you convert to MP3, can you tell from examining the MP3 file, what program was used to make it?
There are certain restrictions on what you can put on your Ipod.
No, you can use whatever program you want for converting. If you already have iTunes and are going to load them on an iPod, it would be easiest to just use the CD to MP3 conversion in iTunes. I personally hate iTunes and haven't owned any Apple products in years but my kids still have iPods and iPhones so I occaisionally have to mess with them. iTunes used to default to Apple's AAC format when converting from CD but you could change it to MP3 which I always did to allow for portability of music files to other types of devices. I have also used multiple other programs/applications and codecs to convert to MP3 and all of them have always worked fine on iPods.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
mp3'S have meta data fields, it contains information like the song title, album, track etc. Those fields can be edited, I don't think there is any filed for what encoded and that can certainly be erased if there is. I'm not aware of limitations on MP3's on Ipod's, while I'm sure Apple would love it if they would just go away the reality is they the most popular format and any player that doesn't play them is doomed. See Sony's early player for reference that only played a proprietary format.

If you going to do this Robert and you have a lot of CD's what I would suggest is first convert to FLAC, lossless WMA or some other lossless format. The most work is actually physically putting the CD into the tray etc. If you convert to a lossless format you can use those files in the future. It's an exact duplicate of the audio on the CD, MP3 is lossy and achieves compression by throwing some of that audio information out.

Those formats don't have wide support however you an do a batch conversion on the lossless files to something like MP3. For example you can organize them like this:

My Music/Lossless Files/
My Music/MP3's/
My Music/Some Other Format/

The MP3 folder and files is created from the lossless files, it's an easy process because the files are already on your computer.

The reason you might want to do this is if in the future if you need some other format 10 or 20 years down the road you're going to want the original source quality. You can always go back to the lossless files to create different ones.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:36 PM

8,337 posts, read 13,477,232 times
I use Free CDtoMP3 Converter. I did make a donation and the guy sent me a code but it is free to use.
It can connect and retrieve album/song info from one of the free Internet databases.
You can easily select bit rate, etc., it is really simple to use.

Old 02-10-2014, 01:24 PM

When you download a song from itunes and pay for it, what's stopping you from making copies for all your friends?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:59 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,113,665 times
I'm not familiar with Itunes but according to this there is no DRM:
Quote:
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1711
What is iTunes Plus?

iTunes Plus is the new standard on iTunes. iTunes Plus downloads are songs and music videos available in our highest quality 256 kbps AAC audio encoding (twice the audio quality of protected music purchases), and without digital rights management (DRM). iTunes Plus music can be burned to CD as many times as you need, synced to any AAC-enabled device (such as iPod, iPhone, or Apple TV), and played on any Mac or Windows computers you own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers