Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:54 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,308,307 times

Advertisements

I'm considering ripping all of my non-blu-ray DVDs to save storage space and play via streaming over my network.

What software do you guys like for this? It doesn't have to be free software. I want original audio/video quality.

Also - what would you use on the playback end? My Sony blu-ray player cannot play VOB files. It looks like the WD TV Live box can do this for not much $$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 09:20 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,318,365 times
The software involved can be discussed here as far as I know.

Quote:
My Sony blu-ray player cannot play VOB files.
A VOB file is MPEG2 with some additional information specific to DVD. For example if you had homemade DVD's you could use VOB2MPG to rip them as single file but that program doesn't work on commercial discs. You could just rename them .mpg but your mileage will vary doing it that way. The software for ripping commercial discs usually has an option for how you want them ripped and will strip all the DVD stuff and give you just the movie file as exact copy of what was on the disc.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:44 AM

11,197 posts, read 10,796,404 times
Since you're just making copies of DVDs you already own, there shouldn't be a problem with discussing the software to do this with. I've had the best luck with Magic DVD Ripper - rip DVD to hard drive Not too expensive, and I've never run across a problem with it not being able to rip a DVD.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:13 PM

674 posts, read 2,562,743 times
DVDfab works great for transferring the DVD to the PC, I believe it has a feature to compress and convert the DVD but I'm not sure, I just use the free DVD to PC option.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:11 PM

988 posts, read 1,207,457 times
DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink still works for me (both free).

If you just want the main title and not the extras and menu I would pop for a MakeMKV license. It is only $20 or so, IIRC. If you go that route I would leave the resulting MKV alone as I have had issues trying to transcode/compress it.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,308,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3781 View Post
DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink still works for me (both free).

If you just want the main title and not the extras and menu I would pop for a MakeMKV license. It is only $20 or so, IIRC. If you go that route I would leave the resulting MKV alone as I have had issues trying to transcode/compress it.
Does MakeMKV preserve original video and audio quality? I want zero loss of quality. Otherwise I don't care what the format is.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,250,410 times
I use Handbrake on the Mac. It supports most of the popular output formats.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Since you're just making copies of DVDs you already own, there shouldn't be a problem with discussing the software to do this with.
The illegality comes into play because you need to break the encryption, whether or not you're legally entitled to make a copy of DVD you own has never been addressed in a court of law. There's exemptions in copyright law for software and music but even those fall under DMCA if they have copy protection schemes. A CD has not copyright protection and since we have the Home Audio Recording Act you can make copies of them for personal use.

Any software that is available is not from the US.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,202,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The illegality comes into play because you need to break the encryption, whether or not you're legally entitled to make a copy of DVD you own has never been addressed in a court of law.
A bit-for-bit copy doesn't need to break the encryption at all. It doesn't care ... the DVD is one giant data file. It's a stream of bits. Or am I misunderstanding?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
A bit-for-bit copy doesn't need to break the encryption at all. It doesn't care ... the DVD is one giant data file. It's a stream of bits. Or am I misunderstanding?
You have to break the encryption to obtain the bit for bit copy.

Anti-circumvention - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Circumvention of Access Controls

Section 103 (17 U.S.C Sec. 1201(a)(1)) of the DMCA states:

No person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.

The Act defines what it means in Section 1201(a)(3):

(3) As used in this subsection— (A) to "circumvent a technological measure" means to descramble a scrambled work, to decrypt an encrypted work, or otherwise to avoid, bypass, remove, deactivate, or impair a technological measure, without the authority of the copyright owner; and (B) a technological measure "effectively controls access to a work" if the measure, in the ordinary course of its operation, requires the application of information, or a process or a treatment, with the authority of the copyright owner, to gain access to the work.

Quote:
Distribution of Circumvention Tools

The Act also prohibits the distribution of tools that enable a user to circumvent access controls or controls that protect a right of the copyright holder.
[edit] Access Controls

17 U.S.C. Sec. 1201 (a)(2) provides:

(2) No person shall manufacture, import, offer to the public, provide, or otherwise traffic in any technology, product, service, device, component, or part thereof, that— (A) is primarily designed or produced for the purpose of circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title; (B) has only limited commercially significant purpose or use other than to circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title; or (C) is marketed by that person or another acting in concert with that person with that person's knowledge for use in circumventing a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this title.
Having said that no one has ever been sued for making copies of their own DVD's/Blu Rays for personal use. I would imagine the media conglomerates don't want to go down that road because it could open a can worms for them, they have all the protection they need under the DMCA. Any suit would bring the question before a court of law if the person is legally entitled to make a copy possibly invalidating these DMCA provisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers