Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 01:43 PM

301 posts, read 1,328,111 times

Advertisements

Hello

I recently got an Ipod and noticed that when letting Itunes do a scan / import of my hard to locate existing mp3s, that it often skips over certain folders (in let's say c/owner/downloads folder). When I went to view these folders to ensure that was actual content in them, I noticed they appear as empty---BUT, a manual search for the songs reveal them to be really there and when right clicking on the file name, the proper path to that folder in question is revealed, but they simply don't come up when you view the folder as a whole.

Any thoughts on why some folders come up as having no files in them despite the fact, there's actual music in them?

Thanks!

PS, I'm using Vista.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:06 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,389,879 times
Programs generally use one of two download folders:

One located at path: owner/downloads

Another at: owner/documents/downloads

Make sure you're looking at the right downloads folder.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:52 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,636,266 times
1. Did you check the file/folder properties to make sure they are not hidden? A search may find hidden files that Explorer simply would not display.
2. Once you right click on a mp3 and have the file path open did you try copying and pasting that exact path into iTunes as a specified search location? Isn't the "standard" Windows download folder is c:\users\<user.profile>\downloads? Haven't used Vista in a while so I don't remember for sure.

Old 07-07-2011, 04:39 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,716,985 times
You may want to drag all your music into one folder as well - having it all over the place makes backing it up, moving it, copying it, finding it, etc harder to do. Can you move everything to "My Music"?

Old 07-07-2011, 07:54 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,232,924 times
The download folder should be left alone since iTunes automatically copies the songs in this folder and moves the copies to the Music folder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers