Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2009, 09:36 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Right now I have to upload the photos in the folder individually in yahoo mail . Will gmail do it different I want to send the folder and it attaches all photos and files within that folder in one shot? Can that be done?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 10:20 PM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
There is an app called "WinZip." You probably have a free version on your computer. If not, you can get a free version of it or "WinRAR" HERE. Then you send the "zip" file as an attachment.

Though you can "zip" a very large folder or file, many email apps will choke on anything over 5MB.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:31 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Right click on the folder, and chose "send to..", and then select compressed file. That will create a zip file that includes everything in that folder. As JTGJR said though, this may not work due to the size of the file. Especially with pictures....most of them are compressed already. Meaning your email server may balk at sending a file that big (and if yours won't, your recipient's server may.)

Old 01-29-2009, 05:32 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
XP and Vista come with it's own compresion utility which will server the purpose as well. Select the files you want to send, right click > send to > compressed folder

Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
All these responses are correct. You cannot attach a folder; only individual files, so making a .zip is a good way around it. Most mail servers have some size limit; I've seen pop3 servers set to strip attachments when the size exceeds 5 MB, 8 MB or 10 MB. Most personal email services will let larger attachments through since you are paying them for the ability to use your email as you see fit.

Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 AM

1,095 posts, read 3,998,654 times
A lot of people find it more convenient to upload photos to a service like Flickr or Google's Picasa so that others may view them online. You can restrict access so they are not publicly viewable. This is the only way I could keep up with my parents' insatiable need for baby pictures without constantly hearing complaints that they couldn't download the emails (on dial-up, even 5 megabytes takes a long time)

Old 01-29-2009, 10:40 AM

thanks Ill look into see if vista has this tool . I hope it simple and quick.

Thanks for tidbit on compression size since it generally about 20 photos

Thanks everyone

Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Thanks for tidbit on compression size since it generally about 20 photos
Compressing images or other files that contain binary data like video is not going to save you much if anything, it's just a convenient way to "package" many images into one file. Text files like word docs can be compressed significantly however.

If you're just sending images so the person can view them on their computer and they don't need them for printing purposes or archiving you can use a tool like irfanview to batch resize and recompress which will save a significant amount of file size. Be sure to not overwrite your original source images.

For example a 3 megapixel camera might produce an image that is about 2000X1500 pixels and around 1.5 megabytes. Firstly most monitors cannot display an image that large so a lot of the information is never used for display and cameras use a very light compression. You can resize it to something like 1200X900 which is still quite large and use a higher compresssion ratio and get it down to around 200KB.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Compressing images or other files that contain binary data like video is not going to save you much if anything, it's just a convenient way to "package" many images into one file. Text files like word docs can be compressed significantly however.

If you're just sending images so the person can view them on their computer and they don't need them for printing purposes or archiving you can use a tool like irfanview to batch resize and recompress which will save a significant amount of file size. Be sure to not overwrite your original source images.

For example a 3 megapixel camera might produce an image that is about 2000X1500 pixels and around 1.5 megabytes. Firstly most monitors cannot display an image that large so a lot of the information is never used for display and cameras use a very light compression. You can resize it to something like 1200X900 which is still quite large and use a higher compresssion ratio and get it down to around 200KB.
ok thanks I understand better with explanations you guys gave me and Ill try that tool in the last post and what was mention in earlier posts.
I think ill set up work related photobucket account least it organizes in one folder and I can high light more than one to upload

thanks everyone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers