Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 02:09 PM

83 posts, read 115,378 times

Advertisements

Hello guys, i was looking for information about Irmo. I am planning on relocating to Columbia SC but would like to know more about Irmo. I did search and couldnt find that much info on it.

Is it a friendly town? What majority of people live there are far as ethnicity?

I am planning on visiting in a couple on months. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 04:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,643,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chael View Post
Hello guys, i was looking for information about Irmo. I am planning on relocating to Columbia SC but would like to know more about Irmo. I did search and couldnt find that much info on it.

Is it a friendly town? What majority of people live there are far as ethnicity?

I am planning on visiting in a couple on months. Thanks!
This links to the US Census Bureau as far as info on the town of Irmo. Irmo is just a suburb of Columbia, about 12 miles northwest of downtown.

American FactFinder - Community Facts

Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM

421 posts, read 580,210 times
Irmos nice. Single or family? There's a big old neighborhood ( frairsgate) which had it bad spots but Irmo has many middle class and nicer neighborhoods. Irmos close to harbison blvd so all the stores are easily accessible. Big lake if your into boating and such. I live in Irmo. I would say the demo might be 20-80? It has it's own police dept so it's pretty well patrolled.

Northern Irmo really ballentine /peak is where people are moving. New schools etc. not built up with stores everywhere

Old 03-05-2014, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the website link waccamatt. Going to check that out.

Robertsm76, its just me, my girlfriend of 4yrs and 4 dogs. Im going to do some more research on northern Irmo thanks for the suggestion!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:53 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,301,520 times
Hello- I live in Irmo and have lived here most of my life. I live on the "northern side" that you are looking into. Technically, I live in Irmo but Ballentine is maybe 2 miles down from me (I live off Highway 6 which runs straight into Ballentine.) In general I recommend Irmo as opposed to Lexington. Not quite as big but much less traffic, especially the farther out you head out of Irmo and the more you venture out into the "north side". If you have any more specific questions, let us know. Overall, Irmo is a good mix of people and a middle-low to middle-upper class type of area with plenty of shopping, which of course makes for a very family friendly area. Also, it's a pretty quiet area, if that's what you're looking for.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Hello- I live in Irmo and have lived here most of my life. I live on the "northern side" that you are looking into. Technically, I live in Irmo but Ballentine is maybe 2 miles down from me (I live off Highway 6 which runs straight into Ballentine.) In general I recommend Irmo as opposed to Lexington. Not quite as big but much less traffic, especially the farther out you head out of Irmo and the more you venture out into the "north side". If you have any more specific questions, let us know. Overall, Irmo is a good mix of people and a middle-low to middle-upper class type of area with plenty of shopping, which of course makes for a very family friendly area. Also, it's a pretty quiet area, if that's what you're looking for.
This sounds exactly what I was looking for! Thanks smithgn! It sounds like a really nice area and the homes are very affordable there

Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,301,520 times
Great! Yeah, there is a pretty wide spectrum of prices you can buy for in or around Irmo. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:57 AM

421 posts, read 580,210 times
Said it before but I'll say it again Milford Park is a nice neighborhood in Ballentine. There's a few neighborhoods around there Caedmons Creek, Milford Park and another one that escapes my mind. All relatively newer neighborhoods. All should be fine.

That area really needs highway exit/entrance ramps at Koon Road/western lane. They moved ground around at western lane/Koon Road for the highway but nothing's happened since then.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post
Said it before but I'll say it again Milford Park is a nice neighborhood in Ballentine. There's a few neighborhoods around there Caedmons Creek, Milford Park and another one that escapes my mind. All relatively newer neighborhoods. All should be fine.

That area really needs highway exit/entrance ramps at Koon Road/western lane. They moved ground around at western lane/Koon Road for the highway but nothing's happened since then.
Thanks for the input Robertsm. I forgot to ask on my earlier post but it seems like youve already answered my question as far as neighborhoods in Ballentine I should check out. Thanks! I plan on visiting the area in three months before I make the move. Cheers!

Old 03-07-2014, 05:47 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,078,315 times
there are countless neighborhoods from Ballentime to Irmo, both near the highway and some off the beaten path. Prices can vary from 100's to 300's, many offering pools, etc so plenty to choose from for a purchase (note home rentals in those same areas arent always cheap, compared to the actual mortgage the same place would carry if renting is desired).
OP, one thing you may want to put on your list of requirements when you do get to a point of seriously looking for a residence: if any 'hoods being considered have restrictions on the # of dogs. Most areas have HOA's, and you may even find their restrictions on their websites. You may not run into any issues, just thought i'd bring it up "just in case"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area